• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND Hockey
    replied
    Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    Blah, blah, blah...

Regardless of the number of houses where it is available (and I doubt the disparity is nearly as large as you suggest), it still doesn't change this fact. Not every household will be an interested household.

BTN will have more viewers because, if for nothing else, it will have more interested viewers.
    Did you read the article in which the President of the Big Ten Network said my figure was correct?

You continue to refuse to back up your posts with a shred of evidence. Where are the numbers to support your argument. Tell me how many people tune into Gophers games on FSN North and maybe then I will consider your point of view. Keep in mind that the Minneapolis/Saint Paul DMA comprises only 1.5% of the nation's television homes.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
    Right because Comcast is paying Notre Dame and Hockey East money to get lower ratings that cheaply produced programming. This is market driven. Comcast isn't a charity. They know it will draw viewers.
    Did I say they won't make money? That would be the definition of charity, right? I said they won't have as many viewers as the BTN.

When you're ready to stop putting words in my mouth and listen, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Right because Comcast is paying Notre Dame and Hockey East money to get lower ratings that cheaply produced programming. This is market driven. Comcast isn't a charity. They know it will draw viewers.
    IMO, it will not be better than the Big Ten.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
    Versus is a complete national network and virtually every cable system carries it.
    The problem some people seem to overlook in the discussion is the broadcasts are likely going to be mostly about local fans when all is said and done. Even if broadcast on a national scale, we all know that most of the people watching are going to have a major rooting interest with one of the two teams playing. And we all know how niche college hockey is in already niche sport.

Even the NHL games on Versus don't get a massive audience and those games are far more interesting to a typical hockey fan than a college game ever will be. For instance, opening day NHL games on Versus this year:

“Opening Night of the 2011/12 NHL season on VERSUS delivered 601,000 average viewers, +5% from last year’s Opening Night (574,000),” read a Versus release.
    And that is OPENING night with some big name teams playing at a time when a lot of fans are amped up about the start of the season. You can bet it is even lower for your typical game in the middle of the season.

So let's be a tad more realistic when some of these fans on here try to talk all big about what a "national audience" is likely going to be for a college team on this channel.
    Last edited by Hammy; 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ND Hockey
    replied

Again, if there was more college hockey interest out East, there would already be better local TV deals. There are not. All your little stat proves is that your games on NBC won't have as many viewers as hunting shows. In Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota, college hockey some times has higher ratings than the Wild or T-Wolves.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I can read just fine. That's the box score. The RECAP is time stamped
    Posted: Saturday April 12, 2003 07:58 PM

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Being available in a house does not necessarily mean the household receives the channel. The exact numbers are not known because BTN is not a Nielsen subscriber. That fits the rough outline provided by Big Ten President Mark Silverman.
    Blah, blah, blah...

Regardless of the number of houses where it is available (and I doubt the disparity is nearly as large as you suggest), it still doesn't change this fact. Not every household will be an interested household.

BTN will have more viewers because, if for nothing else, it will have more interested viewers.

Leave a comment:

• ND Hockey
    replied

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    Not that I really care to get too involved in this ****ing match because its not really about how many households have a station as much as it is how many actual people will watch the games... but the BTN is available to approximately 80 million households in the US/Canada (according to the network website).
    Being available in a house does not necessarily mean the household receives the channel. The exact numbers are not known because BTN is not a Nielsen subscriber. That fits the rough outline provided by Big Ten President Mark Silverman.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    What time was that game? The recap is time stamped 7:58PM, which would indicate it was a day game...kinda hard to post a recap of a prime time game before it's been played.
    Learn to read...

"Posted: Saturday April 12, 2003 11:37 PM"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Indeed. The Minnesota Wild played Colorado in the playoffs on April 12, 2003.

2003 NHL Playoffs
    What time was that game? The recap is time stamped 7:58PM, which would indicate it was a day game...kinda hard to post a recap of a prime time game before it's been played.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    Not that I really care to get too involved in this ****ing match because its not really about how many households have a station as much as it is how many actual people will watch the games... but the BTN is available to approximately 80 million households in the US/Canada (according to the network website).
    Thanks Hammy. Was too lazy to look that up.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Actually, they only get 49% of advertising revenue. News Corp. gets the majority of it.

Fox Sports Detroit's highest rated college hockey game (2001 Cold War) drew 66,000 viewers. Versus draws that number every Friday night with hunting shows. Local interest means zilch.
    Again, if there was more college hockey interest out East, there would already be better local TV deals. There are not. All your little stat proves is that your games on NBC won't have as many viewers as hunting shows. In Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota, college hockey some times has higher ratings than the Wild or T-Wolves.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

Versus is in about 75 million households. BTN is in about 40 million. I know which network will provide more exposure, hands down.

Leave a comment:

• ND Hockey
    replied

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    100% of a little is still a little
    Actually, they only get 49% of advertising revenue. News Corp. gets the majority of it.

And you're suggesting more people will tune into Versus to watch college hockey then will turn into the BTN to watch college hockey?

Again.... LAUGHABLE.
    Fox Sports Detroit's highest rated college hockey game (2001 Cold War) drew 66,000 viewers. Versus draws that number every Friday night with hunting shows. Local interest means zilch.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
    Its not laughable, it's certainly debateable. Don't assume how things are in Minnesota are the same across the country. Versus is a complete national network and virtually every cable system carries it. Of course, its not anywhere near as watched/known as ESPN, but it is a national network nonetheless. Big 10 Network is not. Many cable systems do carry it, but some do not. For example Cox, the main cable carrier in RI, doesn't carry the channel. Comcast in Boston does have it, but unless you care about the Big Ten (most around here do not), people many not even realize they have the channel.
    Look at where the biggest local TV deals are right now. There is a reason why, despite the larger travel expenses, schools like Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, and North Dakota are amongst the most profitable. Just using my school as an example. All but 4 Gopher games are currently viewable regionally, and sometimes have higher TV ratings than the Wild and T-Wolves. Can the same be said for any team's out East?

College hockey is a VERY niche sport, so when we're talking "nationally", let's be honest here. 95%+ of the viewers who tune in will be in college hockey markets. And of those markets, the ones with the most viewers (proven by the fact that they currently have the best TV deals) are in the Midwest. And you tell me, which games are a majority of people in the Midwest going to tune in to see?

It boils down to this. NBC will have more possible viewers (for now), but the BTN will have more interested viewers.
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X