Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    Didn't they say they would broadcast every conference at least twice? I don't see an AHA game in there. You would think that the military academies would draw some interest.
    Perhaps, once again, they got our schools confused. They have four ECAC games, 2 of which are RPI (the other two being Yale).

Comment

I'm impressed in the locations they're putting their production trucks at. Driving to Omaha twice? And ALL games will be in HD according to the NCAA (or was it College Hockey Inc) twitter feed.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        I'm impressed in the locations they're putting their production trucks at. Driving to Omaha twice? And ALL games will be in HD according to the NCAA (or was it College Hockey Inc) twitter feed.
        Why wouldn't they do HD? Even college TV clubs are starting to do HD.

Comment

Interesting... two Dartmouth games on NBC-CS. I wonder if that's because ruggers won the Collegiate 7s on the main NBC channel earlier this year. Or maybe whoever controls the programming is a Dartmouth alum...
          Last edited by Bullmoose; 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM.
          Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
          University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Perhaps, once again, they got our schools confused. They have four ECAC games, 2 of which are RPI (the other two being Yale).
            Not for nothing, there are only a couple AHA teams worth showing - Air Force, RIT, Niagara, and Holy Cross. UConn is playing pretty well right now and at least has name recognition. Showing a Sacred Heart-AIC matchup is not going to generate any interest in DI hockey.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

From Hockey East:

November 2, 2011

NEW YORK - The Hockey East Association and NBC Sports Network announced on Tuesday a multi-year deal to broadcast Hockey East games live, including the 2012 Hockey East Tournament at the TD Garden in Boston, Mass.

The Hockey East regular-season schedule will begin on NBC Sports Network with two games hosted by the University of Vermont on February 10 against Boston College at Gutterson Fieldhouse and February 24 vs. Boston University. NBC will also broadcast a Hockey East quarterfinal game on Friday, March 9 and then will continue their tournament coverage the following weekend on Friday, March 16 with the semifinal games at 5 and 8pm and the 28th Hockey East Championship Game on Saturday, March 17 (8pm) from the TD Garden.

"The landscape in college hockey is about to go through a significant change. Television will become even more important to all programs with national aspirations and national television will become a key to future success," said Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna. "This agreement will play a major role in our ability to stay in a leadership position in our sport."

The games are part of a 16-game college hockey schedule slated to start on VERSUS, which will be rebranded as the NBC Sports Network on Jan. 2, on Saturday, December 31, when Notre Dame hosts Boston University (7 p.m.). This season's schedule, which marks the first time that the NBC Sports Group will air college hockey games, was developed through partnerships with numerous collegiate hockey conferences and universities.

"We are excited to be launching our first-ever college hockey package by building a destination on Friday nights on the NBC Sports Network with many of the preeminent brands in the sport," said Jon Miller, President of Programming for NBC Sports Group. The college hockey telecasts will be produced by the same Emmy Award-winning team that oversees all of the NHL games for the NBC Sports Group, led by Sam Flood, executive producer for NBC Sports and VERSUS.

The Hockey East Association is a 10-team Division I college men's hockey conference founded in 1984 and an eight-team Division I women's league which began play in 2002-03. The men's league has won seven NCAA championships in the past 19 years. Since 1999, Hockey East has won five NCAA Championships and have placed 18 teams in the Frozen Four, along with 45 teams in the NCAA Tournament.
              Can we just call this the BU/BC network?
              Let's go Lowell.

Comment

How is the money going to be divided up? Will BC/BU end up with the lions share or will all HE teams share Equally? Or just what.?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  How is the money going to be divided up? Will BC/BU end up with the lions share or will all HE teams share Equally? Or just what.?
                  Based on this section of the text quoted by Gainzo:

This season's schedule, which marks the first time that the NBC Sports Group will air college hockey games, was developed through partnerships with numerous collegiate hockey conferences and universities.
                  That doesn't make it seem to me like it was a collectively bargained deal. I'd wager that each entity involved has their own separate contract. BC, BU, Notre Dame and whichever other schools have contracts with NBC for this would get what's in their individual contract.

Likewise, Hockey East and NCHC would each get whatever is in their individual contracts. I can't imagine that TV contracts with the conferences would be any different than any other conference TV contract for football, basketball, etc.: some of that cost goes to cover the overhead of managing the conference and the rest is divided equally among the members.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    A reasonable supposition is that the Hockey East teams are sharing equally since NBC Sports is showing the Hockey East tourney. I don't think BU or BC can justify laying an unequal claim on that money when there isn't any assurance they would even be playing in the final or the semis.

Comment

Not for nothing, there are only a couple AHA teams worth showing - Air Force, RIT, Niagara, and Holy Cross.
                      That's enough for a game, isn't it?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Didn't they say they would broadcast every conference at least twice? I don't see an AHA game in there. You would think that the military academies would draw some interest.
                        It's entirely possible that they couldn't find any marketable games on weekends that weren't already booked for bigger names.
                        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          That's enough for a game, isn't it?

Powers &8^]
                          RIT plays Holy Cross and Army before they start broadcasting. The RIT-Air Force Friday game is already being broadcast on CBSCS. For RIT-the other option wouild be against Niagara at the end of the year.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            I suspect that one limiting factor is which rinks have the space for enough cameras.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

How in the hell did Omaha get two games?
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                How in the hell did Omaha get two games?
                                It's that huge TV market in Nebraska for hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X