NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
    Did you read the article in which the President of the Big Ten Network said my figure was correct?

You continue to refuse to back up your posts with a shred of evidence. Where are the numbers to support your argument. Tell me how many people tune into Gophers games on FSN North and maybe then I will consider your point of view. Keep in mind that the Minneapolis/Saint Paul DMA comprises only 1.5% of the nation's television homes.
    That's because my point is that the numbers of households that carry the networks is MEANINGLESS. Why should I debate a meaningless point?

It doesn't matter how many households the networks are available in, it only matters how many INTERESTED households they are available in.

You tell me. If there is more interest in college hockey out East than there is in the Midwest, then why do the schools in the Midwest have MUCH better regional TV deals?

Comment

• Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      Did I say they won't make money? That would be the definition of charity, right? I said they won't have as many viewers as the BTN.

When you're ready to stop putting words in my mouth and listen, let me know.
      You said it would draw fewer viewers than the hunting programming it's replacing. Less viewers = less money.
      Notre Dame Hockey
      Reigning Big Ten Champions
      Reigning CCHA Champions
      Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

By the way, that is the last time I tell you the # of households means squat compared to the # of interested households. If you can't grasp that concept, this discussion is a waste of my time.

Comment

You said it would draw fewer viewers than the hunting programming it's replacing. Less viewers = less money.
          I said YOUR games would draw less viewers than a hunting program. OUR games already out-draw the Wild and T-Wolves at times.

READ!

Comment

Right because Comcast is paying Notre Dame and Hockey East money to get lower ratings that cheaply produced programming. This is market driven. Comcast isn't a charity. They know it will draw viewers.
            Right. Because it has drawn so many viewers in the past. No one KNOWS anything for sure, but the odds are that not many additional viewers will watch the Hockey East games just because they are on a national network.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              Right. Because it has drawn so many viewers in the past. No one KNOWS anything for sure, but the odds are that not many additional viewers will watch the Hockey East games just because they are on a national network.
              My thoughts too. This TV deal is being WAAAAAAY overblown.

Comment

By the way, that is the last time I tell you the # of households means squat compared to the # of interested households. If you can't grasp that concept, this discussion is a waste of my time.
                Translation: I have no evidence to back up my ridiculous statements, therefore I will make up a metric that cannot be measured. Versus is in virtually every household BTN is in and then at least 30 million more. It will certainly have more "interested households."
                Notre Dame Hockey
                Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                  The problem some people seem to overlook in the discussion is the broadcasts are likely going to be mostly about local fans when all is said and done. Even if broadcast on a national scale, we all know that most of the people watching are going to have a major rooting interest with one of the two teams playing. And we all know how niche college hockey is in already niche sport.

Even the NHL games on Versus don't get a massive audience and those games are far more interesting to a typical hockey fan than a college game ever will be. For instance, opening day NHL games on Versus this year:

And that is OPENING night with some big name teams playing at a time when a lot of fans are amped up about the start of the season. You can bet it is even lower for your typical game in the middle of the season.

So let's be a tad more realistic when some of these fans on here try to talk all big about what a "national audience" is likely going to be for a college team on this channel.
                  But those numbers are almost useless, unless we know how many viewers were from Philadelphia and Boston. Probably only 25% of the audience was local. Fans in neutral markets tune in. Of course some on this board believe they are uninterested households and shouldn't count in our analysis, so let's throw out 400,000 viewers.

Comparing the college hockey to the NHL is a waste of time. Of course college hockey is not going to come close to the ratings NHL teams get. But we can speculate how they will improve due to the first national television deal in the sport's history.
                  Notre Dame Hockey
                  Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Translation: I have no evidence to back up my ridiculous statements, therefore I will make up a metric that cannot be measured. Versus is in virtually every household BTN is in and then at least 30 million more. It will certainly have more "interested households."
                    I explained it to you about a dozen times, and justified my reasoning. You're either just too stupid to understand, or not interested in listening.

We'll pick this up later. I have to go watch my team ON TV right now

Comment

I explained it to you about a dozen times, and justified my reasoning. You're either just too stupid to understand, or not interested in listening.

We'll pick this up later. I have to go watch my team ON TV right now
                      Liar. The game isn't on for almost another hour.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        NESN is in 4 million households. Versus is in 75 million. Do the math.
                        Notre Dame Hockey
                        Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Liar. The game isn't on for almost another hour.
                          Pre game starts in 15 and I have to eat first

Comment

Comment

NESN is in 4 million households. Versus is in 75 million. Do the math.
                              If there is so much demand for college hockey in the East, why wasn't there a better TV deal until now? Why didn't Hockey East get it's own national TV deal? Why haven't the schools in the East gotten better local or regional TV deals over the years? Why do the rinks out East, in general, have much smaller seating capacities than in the Midwest?

I'll grade your answers later

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                                Translation: I have no evidence to back up my ridiculous statements
                                Do you mean "ridiculous" like acting like your college team is going to get oodles of viewers from those millions of households when the highest level of the sport can barely reach 600,000 viewers on that same station when it is opening day with big name NHL teams like Philly, Boston, and Pittsburgh? lol. Get a grip on reality.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X