Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Funny that you mention that. In the 2001-2002 season Maine vs. Minnesota championship game and the 2001-2002 Michigan vs. Minnesota semi final game are the two heights rated college hockey games of all time.
    That's like bragging that Bradbury Mountain is the tallest around, when you're on the coast of Maine where everything is flat, so a hill a few hundred feet high seems huge. Compare it with Mt. Washington or the Rockies, and it seems awfully small. That the games in Minnesota are the highest rated games of all time is little more than a blip on the Nielsen's. And what did those games generate for ratings OUTSIDE Minnesota, Maine and Michigan? Probably just as small as all the other games...

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      How has national interest not changed when we go from 4 teams in 1 location to 16 in five? Or no TV at all to nationwide TV for the entire tournament?
      I'll handle this one for him. People tune in thinking Minnesota is playing an intra-squad game. That's the only reason the tournament expanded. People thought the Gophers would be able to play themselves in games. Once the people realize at least one of teams is not the Gophers though they flip the channel to PBS and Sewing with Nancy before throwing their TV away and burning down their house in a tribute to the Mecca of college hockey.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        That's like bragging that Bradbury Mountain is the tallest around, when you're on the coast of Maine where everything is flat, so a hill a few hundred feet high seems huge. Compare it with Mt. Washington or the Rockies, and it seems awfully small. That the games in Minnesota are the highest rated games of all time is little more than a blip on the Nielsen's. And what did those games generate for ratings OUTSIDE Minnesota, Maine and Michigan? Probably just as small as all the other games...
        Again, you are completely missing the point.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          How has national interest not changed when we go from 4 teams in 1 location to 16 in five? Or no TV at all to nationwide TV for the entire tournament?
          It's still the niche sport it has always been and always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            In size maybe, but not in culture.

Minnesota piles in 18,000+ fans to watch high school hockey games.
            Yeah, cause packing Cowboys Stadium for a high school football game doesn't even compare with drawing 18k for a hockey game in MN. Sure.
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              Yeah, cause packing Cowboys Stadium for a high school football game doesn't even compare with drawing 18k for a hockey game in MN. Sure.
              Did I say it didn't? I said packing 18,000 fans into an arena to watch an NHL game in Carolina doesn't mean crap because we pack in that many fans to watch high school games. So easy turbo.

Comment

SlightlyChilled.com

Time to answer the question: What’s better Minnesota hockey, Texas football or Indiana basketball?

In Indiana, I was news reporter that got to cover games over two years but it was not to extent that I’ve covered football and hockey. Still, Indiana has a great tradition but it has soured because basketball like all sports went to a class system. There are still people there who feel that a class system ruined the game and that’s why some schools have seen an attendance hit. The class system has been in place for years but if anyone reading this works in Indiana or knows someone who does, tell them this. If they ever want to win an easy first-place award for sports writing, have them do something on the class system and its unpopularity. The story is overdone but people still want to know if it will ever go back.

Nine of the nation’s ten largest high-school gyms are in Indiana and I lived in a town that had one of them. Basketball is a big deal there, but if this was 15 years ago, Indiana would be relevant in this conversation. Guys I know, Indiana natives, can tell stories about state title games until the last 10 years because it lost its luster.

That leaves us with Texas football or Minnesota hockey.

It is hard because the state hockey tournament this week has been amazing and I’ve seen stuff here I never saw in Texas. Here, there are people scalping for tickets for a tournament. Never saw that in Texas. Just got back from the Let’s Play Hockey expo where its like a rave/concert that features hockey equipment. Don’t have that in Texas.

But here’s what Texas football does have. It has passion. People there are so into football, it is talked about year round. Where I lived in Texas, there are fans that got so upset that there wasn’t enough, they started a web-based fan forum that debates everything from best program, which kid will play at QB for the upcoming season and if a coach should be fired.

And depending on the community, the stadiums are work of art. There’s a school, Port Neches-Groves, that has a stadium that holds 17,000 people. It has a double-decker press box with a jumbotron and field turf. This is the kind of fanbase that camps out for season tickets days before they go on sell.

Then the recruiting. If anyone has ever seen the ESPN 30-for-30 series on SMU titled, “Pony Exce$$” there’s truths in that. For example, people today still talk about the Trans A&M, the gold Trans AM Eric Dickerson allegedly got from Texas A&M. People tell stories of the green handshake where a booster comes by, shakes their hand and then there’s a $50 in their palm. Yeah, it was like that.

Then there’s Minnesota hockey. People here are freaking nuts when it comes to hockey. It might not have the pageantry of Texas high school football, but it **** sure has the fans. There is a reason that this most watched high school championships in America. If this is even a stat of note, know this. I went up 55 Twitter followers in two days because of this tournament. Not all of them are from Minnesota either. Hockey fans, including the guys at places like The Hockey News, want to know what’s going on.

Some of those football coaches in Texas were even like, “Wow” when I told them I was moving up here to cover hockey.

Having covered championships in both states, I can say this. A Texas HS football championship is impressive. Two years in a row, I covered this small town that had its fans show up to every game. They lost the state title games both years yet it was still a good time. Keep this mind, not all title games in Texas, at least when I was there, were televised.

Here, however, they are and in Texas, I never heard about families scheduling vacations around the state title game(s) like they do here in Minnesota.

Finally, there’s the talent. Football is a rough game. Hockey is rougher. The talent in Texas I got a chance to see was impressive. The talent I’ve seen with hockey has been more impressive. You don’t see the kind of scouts at a Texas championship like you would at a Minnesota state hockey tournament.

That being said, I give the nod to Minnesota High School hockey.

Indiana, yes, has the tradition. Texas, yes, has the grandiose presentation and tradition. But know this, Minnesota is the only place where it has the tradition, presentation and a feel that makes it intimate that everyone truly feels they have a stake in how things go.

I’ll be back later to post some more stuff throughout the day. Take care and enjoy semifinal Friday everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  I agree. I also will add the BHHC lost the Mpls/St. Paul recruiting market, they basically lost kids who might watch a UND or DU and decide to attend there.
                  DU has 1 player from Minnesota and that is John Lee from Moorhead. They have no one from the twin Cities area. Historically, the players that have gone to DU from Minnesota have been from the Iron Range although DU has had a sprinkling from the Twin Cities area. I don't think DU not being playing in the Twin Cities 2 years from now will have any effect on their recruiting. They will still be making trips to St. Cloud and Duluth so they won't be totally invisible in the state.
                  Last edited by du78; 10-20-2011, 01:34 PM.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    DU has 1 player from Minnesota and that is John Lee from Moorhead. They have no one from the twin Cities area. Historically, the players that have gone to DU from Minnesota have been from the Iron Range although DU has had a sprinkling from the Twin Cities area. I don't think DU not being playing in the Twin Cities 2 years from now will have any effect on their recruiting. They will still be making trips to St. Cloud and Duluth so they won't be totally invisible in the state.
                    I think it will effect their recruiting in MN, but not as much as Notre Dame's move will effect their recruiting in MN IMO.

Comment

Again, you are completely missing the point.
                      No, the point you were trying to make is that Minnesota has a strong national following. It doesn't. People in Minnesota may be rabid for the game and the school, but the average sports fan - even hockey fan - in California, Florida or New York couldn't care less about the Goofers.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        No, the point you were trying to make is that Minnesota has a strong national following. It doesn't. People in Minnesota may be rabid for the game and the school, but the average sports fan - even hockey fan - in California, Florida or New York couldn't care less about the Goofers.
                        For hockey? Sure it does. In fact, we have fans from every state you mentioned who post on some of the Gopher Hockey message boards I frequent.

Comment

For hockey? Sure it does. In fact, we have fans from every state you mentioned who post on some of the Gopher Hockey message boards I frequent.
                          The Maine hockey thread has a poster from San Diego...that doesn't mean we have a huge following in the state of California.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            The Maine hockey thread has a poster from San Diego...that doesn't mean we have a huge following in the state of California.
                            One person from California follows their program? Then I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              How many of those are transplanted Minnesotans?
                              I'd guess nearly all of them, which doesn't help your "national" arguement.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Well if that's the case, I know a few NMU alums who keep up with the hockey program from California, Nevada, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota, Wisconsin... does that make NMU a Nationally recognized hockey program too?

And from a few pages back, does the poster who mentioned Notre Dame and Versus realize that Versus is OWNED by Comcast, hence why it's available in every package to Comcast users? And that when DirecTV yanked Versus from it's system for a while last year, no one except us niche fans gave two sh**s about it?

Speaking of ratings, the Colorado at Toronto game on Versus last Monday was beat out in the ratings by Unwrapped on the Food Network. Unwrapped was beat by "Fear Fest" on AMC, which was beaten by Basketball Wives of LA on VH1.

More people's pets accidentally turned on the TV than viewers of the NHL.

And you really think that Notre Dame versus whoever is going to be a spectacular ratings draw for Versus because of it's wide availability to millions of viewers?
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X