Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Who cares in three years the rivalry will be a distant memory. We all move on.
    Can't wait!

Comment

I've been seeing a lot more Union on TWCS. I do realize that schools need to pay for the production truck, however if it were a regional sports network catering to ALL areas on the broadcast then there should be more of an effort to to try and include them in coverage.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        So, you get December 9th, 10th, and 16th where it's just DII and FCS.
        The beginning of the bowl season doesn't excite hockey fans, and to alleviate holiday concerns they could do Thu-Fri the last two weeks of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          I've been seeing a lot more Union on TWCS. I do realize that schools need to pay for the production truck, however if it were a regional sports network catering to ALL areas on the broadcast then there should be more of an effort to to try and include them in coverage.
          Clarkson would be on (and was, in the 1st year TWCS did broadcasts) if they would pay for the airtime. The last few years, though, I'm not sure I want them to be visible to the general public.
          Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
          Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I'm not talking about History, since every keeps telling me I can't talk about history...I'm talking about how there are plenty of programs that are surpassing Minnesota NOW, in the present. Minnesota is no longer the "Pride on Ice" They have been falling off significantly for 4 seasons now. They are getting surpassed by a school like Minnesota-Duluth. They are definitely currently behind North Dakota, Wisconsin and Denver. Colorado College certainly seems to be doing better of late and is expected to be top 3 this year. Minnesota is producing the championship caliber teams it was in the early part of the last decade. This isn't about a Michigan Tech fan saying Minnesota sucks, this is about pointing out the reality that Minnesota is slipping while other programs jump ahead of them in caliber on the ice. If UMD gets some consistency, they most certainly will be the best program in Minnesota. Its pretty obvious to this outside observer.
            And the Gophers struggled mightly for a 3-4 year period before Herb Brooks was hired too, what's your point? If you're suggesting only the Gophers have had losing stretches over the course of their history, or that programs can't turn things around quickly (especially a program with the recruiting recources the Gophers have), you're insane. The Gophers were 8-24-0 the year before Brooks was named head coach. Two years later, they were national champions, and they won three within a 6-year stretch. Wishful thinking if you ask me.

Comment

Im sure at some point they will reemerge as the premiere program they were but right now they are headed in the wrong direction and it doesn't appear to be getting better yet. Lucia has not been able to adapt to all the turnover like some of the other coaches have.
              Lucia has been slow to react, but that doesn't mean he hasn't reacted. Look at their incoming freshmen. Kyle Rau, Travis Boyd, Ben Marshall and upcoming recuits like Justin Kloos, etc... All talented players that have less than prototypical NHL size. I think he finally understands that you need a blend the 1-2 year studs and the 3-4 year team guys to be successful.

And you forget, the Gophers are always one great recruiting class away from being something special. That's one of the benefits of being the Gophers. What would your thoughts be if they landed commitments from Cammarata and Fasching? Not to mention, with Guentzel back, not only do I EXPECT our defensemen to play better, but I anticipate that we will be even better positioned to land high quality defensive recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                Lucia has been slow to react, but that doesn't mean he hasn't reacted. Look at their incoming freshmen. Kyle Rau, Travis Boyd, Ben Marshall and upcoming recuits like Justin Kloos, etc... All talented players that have less than prototypical NHL size. I think he finally understands that you need a blend the 1-2 year studs and the 3-4 year team guys to be successful.

And you forget, the Gophers are always one great recruiting class away from being something special. That's one of the benefits of being the Gophers. What would your thoughts be if they landed commitments from Cammarata and Fasching? Not to mention, with Guentzel back, not only do I EXPECT our defensemen to play better, but I anticipate that we will be even better positioned to land high quality defensive recruits.
                I agree that Guentzel should improve the defense, but should is the key word there. There is no doubt that Minnesota as a program is in great shape to be able to right the ship quickly if they figure it out. I just don't know when that will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a new head coach to do it like it did with Herb Brooks.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I agree that Guentzel should improve the defense, but should is the key word there. There is no doubt that Minnesota as a program is in great shape to be able to right the ship quickly if they figure it out. I just don't know when that will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a new head coach to do it like it did with Herb Brooks.
                  I agree, having Guentzel back doesn't guarantee anything, but I certainly think it will be an improvement over Hill. Lucia won two championships with the Gophers and has had a lot of success throughout his career, so the guy knows how to coach. IMHO, a lot of factors have contributed to the recent struggles for the Gophers: The changing landscape of hockey (post NHL CBA), player performance let-downs, Lucia's illness, and ineffectiveness of his assistant coaches to name a few.

As I mentioned before, I think Lucia is starting to finally make some adjustments in his recruiting strategies, and the Gophers are always one recruiting class away from being special. If he can find the right mix of top-end players and 3-4 year guys (including guys who are willing to work for their playing time and maybe play a role and not sulk when they don't come in and play on a top line or power play as freshmen), I think that will help. If you look at the Gophers recent recruits, I think Lucia has done a good job of trying to adapt. Now it comes down to players going out and performing.

And bringing Guentzel back does a lot to help in all of these areas IMHO. He is a good measure of talent, so he should help with recruiting (especially defensively). He's also a great coach (MUCH better than Hill ever will be IMO) and gets guys to get up and play on a nightly basis. To use a phrase you brought up, he understands "Pride On Ice" and how to convey that to players. He demonstrated that consistently in his tenure as a player and as a coach with the Gophers. Bringing him back can only be a positive IMO (at least it can't be worse than what we had with Hill).

Just my thoughts.
                  Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post

Look back at the last few draft years and we will see the talent of the state of Minnesota has had some down years. IMO, that is one of the reasons why Lucia hasn't been recruiting potential first and second round draft picks.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Has anybody heard/seen anything new on this? I can't find anything with a date after August 5th. For "close to a deal", it's been awfully quiet on this front.
                      Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post
                        Has anybody heard/seen anything new on this? I can't find anything with a date after August 5th. For "close to a deal", it's been awfully quiet on this front.
                        My guess would be that the wait on Notre Dame's decision, whether it be the cause or an effect, has something to do with the silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post
                          Havent heard much but back on Aug. 9th Stephan Curran from Kicksave Consulting sent out a tweet that said:

Lots written re Versus and college hockey. Initial package will be small, but exp in 76 mil homes and synergy with NHL games very positive.
                          Then on Aug 14 sent out another tweet:

Getting calls from pxp and analysts re Versus. No word yet on who they'll use, but plenty of on-air talent exp in college hockey available.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            Look back at the last few draft years and we will see the talent of the state of Minnesota has had some down years. IMO, that is one of the reasons why Lucia hasn't been recruiting potential first and second round draft picks.
                            It certainly is one reason, but IMO it isn't the only one. As for strength of Minnesota hockey talent, the talent in the 1995 birth year from Minnesota is insane (Fasching and Cammarata being the headliners). Fasching looks like he's going to be a legit Top 5 NHL draft pick, but Cammarata may not go nearly as high because of his size. Both are high on the Gopher's recruiting list.

BTW - There were 4 Minnesota-born players drafted in the first round in the 2010 NHL Draft, so I wouldn't say the talent from Minnesota has been on decline for a few years. It was a down year for Minnesota talent last year, but those years are gonna happen.
                            Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-22-2011, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                              Havent heard much but back on Aug. 9th Stephan Curran from Kicksave Consulting sent out a tweet that said:

Then on Aug 14 sent out another tweet:
                              They should look to get local and/or league-specific talents, similar to what Time Warner does in the ECAC.

Comment

Does anybody have any idea what the hold up is? I mean if it is true Hockey east is a no go why is Notre Dame waiting to announce? There is no way they are staying in the CCHA.
                                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X