NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Doesn't Versus already show some college football games? I think I remember some Pac 10 games on there on Saturdays.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      me? jump the gun! (gasp, that's a surprise!)

you're right we need to kick back and see what transpires I just don't like the idea of NBC wanting football on that channel as football trumps everything. it makes me apprehensive as to their real plans for college hockey
      That would certainly explain why they'd be waiting until January to start showing college hockey.

Comment

The DU website has an article from yesterday announcing the formal hiring The Goldwater Group and Stafford Sports as consultants for the NCHC. Their objective is stated as: "The consultant team has simultaneously commenced work on a national search for the conference's first commissioner; a research and assessment process of prospective, additional members with no specific, pre-determined limit on the final number of institutions; investigating the best-possible media platforms, including a broadcast package, to be in place before the conference's inaugural season in 2013-14; and identifying viable venues for a post-season championship game.

Link to full article
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          That would certainly explain why they'd be waiting until January to start showing college hockey.
          Friday nights during college football season would be open as well, but I agree with you that they would be focusing primarily after Jan. 1st.

Comment

Miami grad and loyal alum (and he is really loyal) Jon Miller was named President of Programming of NBC Sports and Versus last Frebruary. He currently has a son at Miami and his older boy is a Miami grad.

Hmmmmm, coincidence?

By the way, Miller is the NBC guy who is credited with coming up with the idea for a New Year's Day outdoor NHL game (after the Calgary, or was it Edmonton, outdoor game). Many thought he was crazy because of bowl game competition, but the ratings have proven him correct.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
              Miami grad and loyal alum (and he is really loyal) Jon Miller was named President of Programming of NBC Sports and Versus last Frebruary. He currently has a son at Miami and his older boy is a Miami grad.

Hmmmmm, coincidence?

By the way, Miller is the NBC guy who is credited with coming up with the idea for a New Year's Day outdoor NHL game (after the Calgary, or was it Edmonton, outdoor game). Many thought he was crazy because of bowl game competition, but the ratings have proven him correct.
              This is the huge piece of the puzzle. Certainly explains why the NCHC schools were so eager to get out of the WCHA in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                Friday nights during college football season would be open as well, but I agree with you that they would be focusing primarily after Jan. 1st.
                Maybe they'll pull an ESPN and show high school games.

Comment

Maybe they'll pull an ESPN and show high school games.
                  Funny that you should mention that. A local FSN Jefferson vs. Edina game gets better ratings than a DU vs. UND game in Denver.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    The DU website has an article from yesterday announcing the formal hiring The Goldwater Group and Stafford Sports as consultants for the NCHC. Their objective is stated as: "The consultant team has simultaneously commenced work on a national search for the conference's first commissioner; a research and assessment process of prospective, additional members with no specific, pre-determined limit on the final number of institutions; investigating the best-possible media platforms, including a broadcast package, to be in place before the conference's inaugural season in 2013-14; and identifying viable venues for a post-season championship game.

Link to full article
                    Just because they want a national broadcast package doesn't mean they will get one. Sounds like Versus wants a deal with all of college hockey and not just the new NCHC. Bottom line is the NCHC won't touch the Big Ten from a TV package deal.

Go Gophers! Oh, and we still have FSN in HD for all our non conference games...no other college hockey team comes close to our coverage!

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                      Just because they want a national broadcast package doesn't mean they will get one. Sounds like Versus wants a deal with all of college hockey and not just the new NCHC. Bottom line is the NCHC won't touch the Big Ten from a TV package deal.

Go Gophers! Oh, and we still have FSN in HD for all our non conference games...no other college hockey team comes close to our coverage!
                      And yet plenty surpass the gophers in success. Funny how that works isn't it?
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                        (after the Calgary, or was it Edmonton, outdoor game).
                        Edmonton, fwiw
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          And yet plenty surpass the gophers in success. Funny how that works isn't it?
                          Which teams might that be? The Gophers have a winning head to head record against every team in the WCHA with the exception of UNO (only played 3 games).

against the Sue - Gophs are 141–128–14
                          against Becky - 152–85–20
                          against DU - 93–70–12

and against Shirtless Guy's Techies - 172–77–15....ouch!

Comment

Which teams might that be? The Gophers have a winning head to head record against every team in the WCHA with the exception of UNO (only played 3 games).

against DU - 93–70–12

Head to Head? How about results like conference championships, tournament championships, ncaa tournament appearances, frozen four appearances, ncaa championships? They haven't done **** in 4 seasons...thats a pretty bad stretch for the Gophers and I don't see it getting better this year.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

against DU - 93–70–12

well it's tried and true isn't it rinkpig?

review the #'s that REALLY matter
                              how about comparisons of NCAA Championships?

UND7>rats5
                              DU7>rats5
                              UW6>rats5
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

excellent point
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X