Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but is there any good reason why Versus/NBC can't broadcast regionally like ESPN/ABC does?

Heck, ESPN/ABC can show 4 different game on 2 channels by sending a different feed to basic and the HD channels (let alone ESPN2).

If they can regionalize their broadcast, there's a really easy way to put on regionally relevant games.....
    Not sure if this is part of the answer but... Versus/NBC probably doesn't want to hire FOUR crews to cover college hockey on any given night.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      They do... they just don't think anything D-I north of Syracuse exists. They did do a few SUNY Potsdam games.
      Usually they show Oswego pounding the tar out of Potsdam.

I'd love to see SLU-Clarkson on TWCS, but they'd rather kiss Cornell/Colgate/RPIs backsides.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        The only way this has a snowball's chance in a hot place to work is if they show recognizable teams to semi casual fans, meaning the team has a D1 BB or FB team.

AHA - Army, AF
        CCHA - UND, UM, M ST, OSU, maybe Miami
        WCHA - UW, UM
        ECAC - Princeton, Harvard, Yale, maybe Cornell
        HE - BC, BU, maybe Providence
        But they're basically tying it into their NHL coverage, right? Something they don't have to pay the NHL extra for, but can hold the eyes of hockey fans for an extra night while plugging their next NHL broadcast? I think, with that audience in mind, they are targetting an audience that already accepts schools like Maine and Duluth as powers. If we, as hockey fans, accept a program as a major program then so will this audience.

The target for Versus won't be the college football fan, it will be the NHL fan. It will be the guy for whom Versus is starting to become the default channel, because he hopes there's a hockey game on. He'll check and see hockey, but it's Vermont-Providence or something. Someone will touch the puck, and the play-by-play guy will refer to him as "Colorado Avalanche draft pick John Doe". The whistle will blow and they'll fill the time by showing Tim Thomas in a Catamounts jersey and plug a segment they're running during intermission. During intermission, that clip will last 60 seconds, but the preview for tomorrow's NHL game and the preview of the intermission segments for that game will last 8 minutes. Versus's target audience guy will either watch a little more of the college game, maybe even decide he likes it, or he'll decide to change the channel and check some other game... but he will watch the NHL game tomorrow.
        BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
        CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
        2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
        2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          Versus shows NHL hockey before January. Why would they wait until January to show college hockey?
          It's important to keep in mind that NBC/Comcast/Versus are in the process of designing one of biggest sports media alternatives to ESPN in broadcast history. Why the January start? It's likely NBC Sports Group may need more time to develop and 1) implement nonlinear multi-platforms to computers and mobile devices (could be a Yahoo sports partnership sometime in the future here) for both the NHL and college hockey to expand their online footprint and 2) negotiate program scheduling with regional NBC affiliates. They currently have 10 regional sport TV networks in some of the most vibrant sports markets in the US. I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC Sports Network surpass ESPN's revenue potential over the next five years.

They can afford to take an unprecedented leap of faith into the college hockey market because they're basically married now to the NHL in both linear and nonlinear platforms. ESPN stymied the growth potential of the college hockey market. There's no doubt with some fancy marketing and program scheduling, NBC may do more to expand the interest in college hockey in the US than any other sports network in history including the BTN.
          Last edited by HarleyMC; 07-27-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

as far as the wcha goes i could see the second cc-du game in the springs televised by versus as DU has a deal w/ fsn/root sports but cc never seems to have a consistent deal It would be a rivalry game with little to no tv conflicts to work out. wait are comcast and nbc/versus together. if that is the case i would almost guarantee the du-cc game on that network as that has recently been on one of comcast's overlap channels.

they may also be able to grab a couple aha and ecac tourney games as I'm not sure about those teams tv deals or lack thereof.
            Last edited by DenverGoldJersey; 07-27-2011, 03:28 AM.
            I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              It's important to keep in mind that NBC/Comcast/Versus are in the process of designing one of biggest sports media alternatives to ESPN in broadcast history. Why the January start? It's likely NBC Sports Group may need more time to develop and 1) implement nonlinear multi-platforms to computers and mobile devices (could be a Yahoo sports partnership sometime in the future here) for both the NHL and college hockey to expand their online footprint and 2) negotiate program scheduling with regional NBC affiliates. They currently have 10 regional sport TV networks in some of the most vibrant sports markets in the US. I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC Sports Network surpass ESPN's revenue potential over the next five years.

They can afford to take an unprecedented leap of faith into the college hockey market because they're basically married now to the NHL in both linear and nonlinear platforms. ESPN stymied the growth potential of the college hockey market. There's no doubt with some fancy marketing and program scheduling, NBC may do more to expand the interest in college hockey in the US than any other sports network in history including the BTN.
              Versus/New Name added 20+ games to their yearly lot of showing games. Not showing any games and having to show 90ish games between January 3rd (or whenever the WC is this year) and April 15th would mean games almost every night minus any doubleheaders. I'm sure it will be backloaded, but they'll still show the openers in Europe and probably some weekly monday/tuesday games like always before the name change in January.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                Not sure if this is part of the answer but... Versus/NBC probably doesn't want to hire FOUR crews to cover college hockey on any given night.
                That's the thing- they do already- via Comcast local stuff.

Comcast = NBC = Versus.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post

I'd love to see SLU-Clarkson on TWCS, but they'd rather kiss Cornell/Colgate/RPIs backsides.
                  Time Warner's production trucks and crews are located in Rochester, Syracuse and Albany, that's why you see most of the games coming from RIT, Cornell, Colgate, RPI and Union; even though the "rustic" facilities at Colgate and Union are awful places to do TV.

It costs more for the crews to travel to the North Country and that is probably a major factor. Having said that, Clarkson and SLU should be a game they show at least every 2 or 3 years. The Lake Placid game in December would be a perfect one to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                    Time Warner's production trucks and crews are located in Rochester, Syracuse and Albany, that's why you see most of the games coming from RIT, Cornell, Colgate, RPI and Union; even though the "rustic" facilities at Colgate and Union are awful places to do TV.

It costs more for the crews to travel to the North Country and that is probably a major factor. Having said that, Clarkson and SLU should be a game they show at least every 2 or 3 years. The Lake Placid game in December would be a perfect one to shoot.
                    Like someone else mentioned (I think), the production truck at RIT was paid for, and is owned by RIT. The production crew is made up of mostly students.
                    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                    Men's Frozen Four 2010
                    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post

They've been starting to kiss Union more than RPI, but I think that has to do with our fan base. Heck, CBS College Sports has refused to come back to HFH since Freakout 05.

Comment

I'd love to see the crew go up to Lake Placid, but I think another possible thing is: Are there TW affiliates up there now? Last I remember Saranac Lake and Lake Placid were Adelphia (obviously they went belly up, and I don't know who replaced them), and Plattsburgh is Charter. I know Crown Point and Ti are TW, but they probably get more Glens Falls and Albany than they do Plattsburgh. I can't remember if Malone is TW or not.

Comment

Schools PAY for TWC to come do their games.

Originally posted by Jasma View Post

Comment

ladies and gents...I was beginning to have hope for more college hockey exposure through versus/nbc but since I'm an Indycar fan as well (also on versus) I've been reading some rather disconcerting news. namely that NBC wants football on that ex-versus channel.

*IF* that's true we can forget about any meaningful time given to NCAA hockey, and I'm sure they'll schedule NCAA football over the NHL too if it came down to a head-to-head one night

check out the first q and a here

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpe...sus-and-helio/
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              ladies and gents...I was beginning to have hope for more college hockey exposure through versus/nbc but since I'm an Indycar fan as well (also on versus) I've been reading some rather disconcerting news. namely that NBC wants football on that ex-versus channel.

*IF* that's true we can forget about any meaningful time given to NCAA hockey, and I'm sure they'll schedule NCAA football over the NHL too if it came down to a head-to-head one night

check out the first q and a here

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpe...sus-and-helio/
                              You're jumping the gun here. There will definitely be more NHL games on NBC/Versus/Comcast, that's contractually guaranteed. As far as college hockey is concerned, wait a couple months and see how this is all hammered out.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                You're jumping the gun here. There will definitely be more NHL games on NBC/Versus/Comcast, that's contractually guaranteed. As far as college hockey is concerned, wait a couple months and see how this is all hammered out.
                                me? jump the gun! (gasp, that's a surprise!)

you're right we need to kick back and see what transpires I just don't like the idea of NBC wanting football on that channel as football trumps everything. it makes me apprehensive as to their real plans for college hockey
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X