NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

This may be a dumb question, but is there any good reason why Versus/NBC can't broadcast regionally like ESPN/ABC does?

Heck, ESPN/ABC can show 4 different game on 2 channels by sending a different feed to basic and the HD channels (let alone ESPN2).

If they can regionalize their broadcast, there's a really easy way to put on regionally relevant games.....

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
      Ok ok maybe that's a bit dramatic but I truly believe guentzel will take over once lucia's co tract runs out especially if the program turns around.
      I think that is the opinion most people have on the recent Guentzel re-hiring.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        This may be a dumb question, but is there any good reason why Versus/NBC can't broadcast regionally like ESPN/ABC does?

Heck, ESPN/ABC can show 4 different game on 2 channels by sending a different feed to basic and the HD channels (let alone ESPN2).

If they can regionalize their broadcast, there's a really easy way to put on regionally relevant games.....
        They probably don't do it because there isn't some mechanism to air all of the games, whether it be online (e.g. ESPN360) or a special package (e.g. NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA Full Court Press, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          They probably don't do it because there isn't some mechanism to air all of the games, whether it be online (e.g. ESPN360) or a special package (e.g. NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA Full Court Press, etc.).
          So in theory, they can do it.

The reason I bring it up is that Comcast already has a bunch of regional hacks who broadcast games. So they could have 3-4 games of the week that can be totally regional, but put it on Versus. Again, this is thinking of what comcast already does, and apply that to thier national sports avenue.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            So in theory, they can do it.

The reason I bring it up is that Comcast already has a bunch of regional hacks who broadcast games. So they could have 3-4 games of the week that can be totally regional, but put it on Versus. Again, this is thinking of what comcast already does, and apply that to thier national sports avenue.
            NHL Network did that with a few Time Warner games, like the RPI/BU game and the RPI/Cornell screwjob. It could be less expensive to have a local affiliate cover the game and then air it nationally. On top of that, you don't have to listen to Doc I-make-clutch-and-grab-sound-exciting Emrick.

Comment

The only way this has a snowball's chance in a hot place to work is if they show recognizable teams to semi casual fans, meaning the team has a D1 BB or FB team.

AHA - Army, AF
              CCHA - UND, UM, M ST, OSU, maybe Miami
              WCHA - UW, UM
              ECAC - Princeton, Harvard, Yale, maybe Cornell
              HE - BC, BU, maybe Providence
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                The only way this has a snowball's chance in a hot place to work is if they show recognizable teams to semi casual fans, meaning the team has a D1 BB or FB team.

AHA - Army, AF
                WCHA - UW, UM
                UConn, in spite of their general hockey crumminess, would also have to be on this list.
                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

TWCS has a good footing on the college sports games in New York State (or at least RPI/Union, Colgate, and RIT).
                  FWIW, Last I heard, RIT was paying TWCS to put their games on as well as footing the entire bill for the production, HD truck and all.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

AHA - Army, AF
                    WCHA - UW, UM
                    The semi-casual fans will not be watching college hockey in droves on Friday nights. Most of those fans for which there is even a remote chance of attracting will probably be either at live hockey games of some sort or watching NHL on cable before they'll bother watching college teams about which they know nothing.
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                      FWIW, Last I heard, RIT was paying TWCS to put their games on as well as footing the entire bill for the production, HD truck and all.
                      FWIW, I only saw TWCS start covering RIT last year. Typically I see Colgate games, once in a while if I'm lucky (and SU isn't playing simultaneously) I'll get an RPI or Union game. SOMETIMES CCT or SLU, but that's rare, as they've actually been doing SUNY Potsdam games as of late (D-III).

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        Agreed. They have had atleast 2 meetings in the past handful of years on ESPNU, and hopefully will continue to get some shown.

But I'm not sure what you mean by it will be great again...? I'm pretty sure its one of those rivalries that records don't matter at all for any meeting between the two teams.
                        True, but haters think as long as it's not Hockey East or NCHC that the conferences don't matter.

As for TWCS, they don't think anything north of Syracuse exists.
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

FWIW, I only saw TWCS start covering RIT last year. Typically I see Colgate games, once in a while if I'm lucky (and SU isn't playing simultaneously) I'll get an RPI or Union game. SOMETIMES CCT or SLU, but that's rare, as they've actually been doing SUNY Potsdam games as of late (D-III).
                          Outside of Rochester, maybe. RIT has been on the local TWSC for a number of years now. I don't know if any of the other TWSC teams in NY are shown here as I do not have cable, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                            They do... they just don't think anything D-I north of Syracuse exists. They did do a few SUNY Potsdam games.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                              Not even Canada??

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                                Outside of Rochester, maybe. RIT has been on the local TWSC for a number of years now. I don't know if any of the other TWSC teams in NY are shown here as I do not have cable, myself.
                                Back in 2009-2010, one of my friends who works for Time Warner told me that the programming department was looking to try to show more live games across all of NYS rather than just the local region (i.e. Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, etc.). Mostly it came up as a thank you for showing the second RPI/Union game at Messa that year that I had found out. They don't do it all the time as the local game would take precedence should more than one be happening, but it's still cool to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X