Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    The big question is if NBC doesn't get involved does the Frozen Four get secondary status to the Women's Final Four on ESPN and affiliates and get put on a tape delayed basis in the middle of the night. Anyone know how long ESPN holds the rights to NCAA post-season play?
    I don't believe ESPN is allowed to do that. The reason they show these 'other' championships is because they were included in the contract for Basketball and Football. Things ESPN wants to keep.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      I don't believe ESPN is allowed to do that. The reason they show these 'other' championships is because they were included in the contract for Basketball and Football. Things ESPN wants to keep.
      So ESPN would have to do something like Men's Hockey Thursday/Saturday and Women's B-Ball Friday/Sunday. As long as those championships are not played on the same days it may work as neither is a big ratings draw. I would hate to see the two championship pitted up against each other because I think hockey would get the short end of the stick.
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

LOVING the variety of games and venues that NBS Sports is showing this season. Never seen the inside of Princeton's rink and now get to see this game in HD.

I hope they continue this when the NHL comes back although my understanding is that this was planned with or without the NHL. Hope they do it in future years too, even if ratings aren't great.

Watched the BU/Harvard game on Wednesday too. The more variety, the better!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          LOVING the variety of games and venues that NBS Sports is showing this season. Never seen the inside of Princeton's rink and now get to see this game in HD.

I hope they continue this when the NHL comes back although my understanding is that this was planned with or without the NHL. Hope they do it in future years too, even if ratings aren't great.

Watched the BU/Harvard game on Wednesday too. The more variety, the better!
          It's NBCSN..ratings aren't their primary focus. They are an advertising arm of NBC Sports. They are trying to build a brand to compete with ESPN (eventually). The cool thing is college hockey is in on the ground floor of a new sports network. However, lawn mower racing, World's Strongest Man and Australian Rules Football were staples on ESPN in the early days...

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            ESPN actually added 7 NCAA championships including women's gymnastics, women's lax, fencing, indoor/outdoor track and women's bowling. This deal, which includes men's hockey, goes through 2023-24. Which is a shame as I'd rather see it on NBCSN to be perfectly honest, though ESPN can show more of the regional games because they have more channels. http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...hrough+2023-24 ESPN does not have the women's hockey rights and to be honest, I don't know who does although that might be CBS. If that were available, even as a cheap sublicense, it could be a good fit for NBCSN especially as a home for Olympic women's hockey and with Universal Sports showing the Women's World Championships in recent years.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            It's NBCSN..ratings aren't their primary focus. They are an advertising arm of NBC Sports. They are trying to build a brand to compete with ESPN (eventually). The cool thing is college hockey is in on the ground floor of a new sports network. However, lawn mower racing, World's Strongest Man and Australian Rules Football were staples on ESPN in the early days...
            Should point out that while not doing spectacular, college hockey has not been doing bad for NBCSN. With the NHL missing, NBCSN's 4th highest rated program in the month, excluding the syndicated fishing shows left over from the Outdoor Life Network, was Michigan State -Notre Dame drawing 98k viewers - the highest rated college hockey game on the network in history. (Detroit-St. Louis on Versus last December drew 259k so not terrible - relatively speaking.) Vermont-Dartmouth drew 45k, around the eyeballs for Big 5 college basketball ('Nova at Penn).

From a brief google on Steve Lepore's Puck the Media site, it appears the top 4 college hockey games were*:
            1. Michigan State - Notre Dame, 98k Fri., Dec. 7, 2012 (7pm)
            2. Denver - North Dakota, 86k Fri., Feb. 24, 2012 (10pm) - note: this game was shockingly above its lead in (in terms of growth, not that it was shocking that it did better, in case that's not clear), a BU-Vermont hockey game that drew only 38k
            3. Yale - Harvard, 82k Fri., Jan. 27, 2012 (7pm) - note: grew from a lead in of 18k! (CNBC's Sports Biz)
            4. Michigan - Notre Dame, 74k Fri., Jan. 20, 2012 (7pm I think)

*around the same time, Puck the Media moved from Wordpress to SB Nation so some games might have been lost in the transition. Somewhat surprised that the Hockey East tournament is missing.

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/?s=college+hockey and http://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/14/3...ork-these-days

Would love to see a way NBCSN could tie-in college hockey with its other programming more. I know I've seen it with the Ivy League since they own the Ivy's football/basketball/lacrosse rights - I saw them plugging Harvard-Cornell hockey during some Ivy football game (Harvard-Penn?) and then obviously plugging Harvard-Yale football during Harvard-Cornell. (The ads were done really well btw). Would love to see them do a Notre Dame football game on NBC in the afternoon and then a Notre Dame hockey game on NBCSN immediately after, for example. And as angry as I am at the NHL, some sort of doubleheader with the pros would be gravy, like a Sunday afternoon NBCSN game after the national NHL broadcast. This would be especially true of the "big" NHL days like the Black Friday games (plenty of college teams to choose from usually playing that night, though the Cornell MSG "home" game might be the best fit) or if there was a college game at the Winter Classic site on New Year's Eve.

That said, I love NBCSN's strategy. Many of the sports properties have a synergy to them at the moment. NCAA hockey to NHL (to World Championships) to Winter Olympics. MLS to EPL to Summer Olympics for soccer. College Rugby 7s, preparing for the eventuality of Olympic Rugby 7s. NCAA Football and the NFL. The only thing they are really missing is some form of NBA coverage since they mostly have mid-major (or lower) college basketball and then the (usually a blowout) Olympic stuff. (And yes, baseball, but they have no baseball coverage of any kind.) I know people worry about competition on the network but I think adding properties only helps college hockey here as more people find the network. Seems like their strategy means they'll stay committed to it.
            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
              Somewhat surprised that the Hockey East tournament is missing.
              Ratings were probably very poor for the Hockey East tournament as NESN held the rights in New England, which is home to every HEA team.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Ratings were probably very poor for the Hockey East tournament as NESN held the rights in New England, which is home to every HEA team.
                D'oh! Forgot about that. Was too busy gnashing my teeth about my conference not even having the games televised (even if that drove my ratings up).
                Go Crimson!

Comment

From Puck the Media:

The Wednesday Harvard-BU tilt drew 88k viewers on NBCSN (2nd highest rated college broadcast on the network).

Friday's Princeton-Union game drew 66k

and UNO-Denver 38k.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

From Puck the Media:

The Wednesday Harvard-BU tilt drew 88k viewers on NBCSN (2nd highest rated college broadcast on the network).

and UNO-Denver 38k.
                    Impressive showing by the Huge Mistake! Well done Gwoz!
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

From Puck the Media:

and UNO-Denver 38k.
                      I'm glad I asked for the game at the bar. Was at TGI Friday's, no sound because of the muzak (I believe they get money for that), but got it up on one of the screens.

Comment

How did the Lowell/Providence game last night do, does anyone know?
                        Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                        Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                        "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                        KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                          How did the Lowell/Providence game last night do, does anyone know?
                          Ratings don't typically come out until the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Ratings don't typically come out until the next week.
                            Have no idea how this works, that's why I asked. Thank you
                            Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                            Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                            "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

NBCSN had their camera planted in my season ticket seats tonight, not pleased that I had to move behind the glass. The TV timeouts at the end of a 4-0 game get a little tedious as well.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                                NBCSN had their camera planted in my season ticket seats tonight, not pleased that I had to move behind the glass. The TV timeouts at the end of a 4-0 game get a little tedious as well.
                                Did Adlon at least come down to enjoy the game with you?

Comment

Working...
                                X