Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
    Comparing the college hockey to the NHL is a waste of time.
    Is it really a waste of time? I guess it may be if you are just trying to use hype and ignore reality.

You are the guy talking about all these millions of households available to watch games on that network and here we see a concrete example of how many viewers actually watched the highest level of the sport on that very same station on opening day... kind of puts your big talk into perspective when all is said and done. But hey... if fairy tales get you through your day, be my guest.
    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Not sure who's point is going to be made, but I would love to someday see a game at Marriuci. Not because I am a Gopher fan, but I would love to be part of the atmosphere they have. I have been to Lynah, which was cool.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
        Not sure who's point is going to be made, but I would love to someday see a game at Marriuci. Not because I am a Gopher fan, but I would love to be part of the atmosphere they have. I have been to Lynah, which was cool.
        We would LOVE to have you

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
          Is it really a waste of time? I guess it may be if you are just trying to use hype and ignore reality.

You are the guy talking about all these millions of households available to watch games on that network and here we see a concrete example of how many viewers actually watched the highest level of the sport on that very same station on opening day... kind of puts your big talk into perspective when all is said and done. But hey... if fairy tales get you through your day, be my guest.
          Barely 600,000 viewers? That's by far more than any college hockey game in history. I'd be thrilled to get those kinds of ratings. I really don't get what that's trying to prove. I've never said college hockey will draw more than NHL games. I really don't see how this matters.

I'm trying to compare television deals across the sport. Comparing college hockey to the NHL makes only slightly more sense than comparing it to NFL ratings. It's a completely different scale. I'm not claiming Notre Dame and Hockey East are going to outdraw American Idol, but it will have the broadest exposure and the most viewers in the sport of college hockey.
          Last edited by ND Hockey; 10-21-2011, 05:41 PM.
          Notre Dame Hockey
          Reigning Big Ten Champions
          Reigning CCHA Champions
          Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
            Barely 600,000 viewers? That's by far more than any college hockey game in history. I'd be thrilled to get those kinds of ratings. I really don't get what that's trying to prove. I've never said college hockey will draw more than NHL games. I really don't see how this matters.

I'm trying to compare television deals across the sport. Comparing college hockey to the NHL makes only slight more sense than comparing it to NFL ratings. It's a completely different scale. I'm not claiming Notre Dame and Hockey East are going to outdraw American Idol, but it will have the broadest exposure and the most viewers in the sport of college hockey.
            Have someone sit down and draw you a diagram because I don't think anyone could explain it better than Hammy did.

When you figure it out, let us know.

Comment

This thread sucks.

AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Liar. The game isn't on for almost another hour.
                He needs to leave early to look up the difference between the words "box score" and "recap."
                And to think up some more ad hominem insults.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  We would LOVE to have you
                  Next time RIT is scheduled to come out there, I will do everything in my power to get there.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                    Next time RIT is scheduled to come out there, I will do everything in my power to get there.
                    Awesome! Let us know when you do

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                      I think the point is if the NHL barely registers a national ratings blip, how will a college contract in which the ratings are surely to be even less result in significant revenues and other tangible benefits to the point it will change the current overall college hockey landscape?

I wish JDUB would drop the provincial angle behind the argument. I love MN hockey as much as the next guy, but hockey does exist elsewhere. Of course Pricess and his obvious chip doesn't get a free pass either. He can't pass taking childish potshots at all things MN.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        I think the point is if the NHL barely registers a national ratings blip, how will a college contract in which the ratings are surely to be even less result in significant revenues and other tangible benefits to the point it will change the current overall college hockey landscape?

I wish JDUB would drop the provincial angle behind the argument. I love MN hockey as much as the next guy, but hockey does exist elsewhere. Of course Pricess and his obvious chip doesn't get a free pass either. He can't pass taking childish potshots at all things MN.
                        It has nothing to do with Minnesota, and everything to do with the Midwest. And I need to go there to prove my point. I realize the polite thing to do would be to not state the obvious, but I didn't start this discussion or the brash statements, so I am laying all the cards on the table.

Bottom line. It doesn't matter which network is available in the most households because more people in Big Ten markets will tune in to watch college hockey.

Comment

A few points even though the topic is getting stale. The B1G will tell you the B1G 10 Network is available in nearly 80 million homes because it sounds better than to say the B1G Network is IN 40 million homes. Both numbers are true but I can assure you the 40 million is the one that counts. Sandra Bullock is available, but to my never ending disappointment she is not currently in my home. And ratings will correlate to the number of homes that a channel is in. If you are in twice as many homes, over time you'll end up with a substantially higher rating. Again, it doesn't matter a lot because these numbers will be tiny. Especially when one considers the vast majority of college hockey games are on Fridays and Saturdays, the two lowest rated nights of the week.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread hijack where Minnesota fan says his gophers are the greatest ever and then accuses the rest of us who may disagree or want to bring up an alternate point of posting something completely different than what we actually posted.

Comment

Just guessing, but it may be that the demographics of college hockey fans are very attractive to certain advertisers. This would make college TV a hot property despite a relatively small audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                              Just guessing, but it may be that the demographics of college hockey fans are very attractive to certain advertisers. This would make college TV a hot property despite a relatively small audience.
                              No. Keep getting things wrong.

It's still a small audience. Smaller than poker, WNBA, reruns of World's Strongest Man, etc. I hate it, but it's the truth.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                A few points even though the topic is getting stale. The B1G will tell you the B1G 10 Network is available in nearly 80 million homes because it sounds better than to say the B1G Network is IN 40 million homes. Both numbers are true but I can assure you the 40 million is the one that counts. Sandra Bullock is available, but to my never ending disappointment she is not currently in my home. And ratings will correlate to the number of homes that a channel is in. If you are in twice as many homes, over time you'll end up with a substantially higher rating. Again, it doesn't matter a lot because these numbers will be tiny. Especially when one considers the vast majority of college hockey games are on Fridays and Saturdays, the two lowest rated nights of the week.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread hijack where Minnesota fan says his gophers are the greatest ever and then accuses the rest of us who may disagree or want to bring up an alternate point of posting something completely different than what we actually posted.
                                You clearly haven't taken the time to actually read my posts and comprehend the points I made.

1. This isn't about Minnesota. It's about the Midwest vs the East Coast.
                                2. It doesn't matter how many homes these stations are available in, it matters how many homes are interested in watching college hockey.

Currently, the largest local and regional TV deals are in the Midwest. Why is that? Because there is more interest in college hockey, by and large in the Midwest.

The arenas in the Midwest, in general, are larger. Why is that? By and large, those schools have larger average attendance because, again, more people in the Midwest are interested in college hockey.

And which schools do you think most people in the Midwest, which is by and large Big Ten country will be most interested in watching? That's right, the Big Ten schools. And which network will those games be on? That's right, the Big Ten Network. And guess what? The Big Ten Network will be available in nearly all Big Ten Markets.

Get it, or do I need to literally bring in visuals to get this point across?

Comment

Working...
                                X