Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    I find that hard to believe. If indeed 3.2 million people watched, it will be the highest watched game by over 1 million people.

Must be a different rating system.

Wouldn't completely surprise me if it took over second though, as UMD has been waiting forever for a championship and a lot of Gopher, Sioux, Badger fans were cheering for them too.
    Note that the first reference is to "most watched games" and the second is to "2nd highest Frozen Four" ever, with specific reference to Semifinal viewership. It certainly wouldn't be surprising if the first is simply a note about championship game ratings while the twitter notes overall Frozen Four numbers.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      Note that the first reference is to "most watched games" and the second is to "2nd highest Frozen Four" ever, with specific reference to Semifinal viewership. It certainly wouldn't be surprising if the first is simply a note about championship game ratings while the twitter notes overall Frozen Four numbers.
      Good point. Thanks for pointing that out,

Comment

I'm equally shocked. A Frozen Four having the highest viewership when the Gophers aren't involved? That's just not possible! They must have carried the one twice or something as there is no way something like this could actually happen. Unless of course it was all the Minnesota fans from California who caused this. Yeah, that must be it.
        Last edited by Dirty; 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          TV ratings from 1995 through 2010 are available from the 2011 Frozen Four Records Book online at the NCAA website.

Sean
          Thanks for tracking this down. Too bad it goes only as far back as 1995. I think ESPN has shown the final since the early 80s, but I cannot remember when they started showing the semis. I don't think it was before the ESPN2 era and perhaps it was in 1995 when they began showing all 3 games live. I was way off on the 2008 ND-UM game, although it appears to be one of the highest rated semi-final games. Of course I take note that 18 of the 48 games listed had a share of zero (note in this listing that the rating is the % of all TV households who are tuned in, while the share is the % of households with sets in use that are tuned to the program). So few watch that the share is effectively zero for over 1/3 of the games dating back to 1995.

I am struck by the truly awful ratings virtually all of these games have drawn, even going back to the mid-90s, a time before most of us lived in the 500 channel universe and there were a lot fewer ways for us to glue our eyeballs to something electronic. Some games do seem to have attracted a bit of a ratings bump based on the teams involved, but all things considered the one that may impress me most is the 2009 final between BU and Miami.

I think it is fairly well known and accepted that ESPN continues to carry the FF (and other NCAA championships) live as part of a larger deal with the NCAA in terms of maintaining the college football and basketball access they really crave. At any rate, if anyone, from FOX Sports North to NESN to Versus is paying more than a buck or two for the games they carry, cash the check before they have a chance to change their minds. Another thing to keep in mind with any games of Notre Dame's that eventually land on Versus (and I believe some have already been scheduled with both Versus and in the new year with NBC Sports Network), since Versus made it known they wished to migrate at least the occasional ND football game in that direction, Notre Dame held the hockey team over them as a negotiating chip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            I'm equally shocked. A Frozen Four having the highest viewership when the Gophers aren't involved? That's just not possible! They must have carried the one twice or something as there is no way something like this could actually happen. Unless of course it was all the Minnesota fans from California who caused this. Yeah, that must be it.
            2nd highest viewership. Of course the one with the most did have the Gophers in it

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
              I think it is fairly well known and accepted that ESPN continues to carry the FF (and other NCAA championships) live as part of a larger deal with the NCAA in terms of maintaining the college football and basketball access they really crave.
              The NCAA has no control over who shows (Division I-A) College Football or College Basketball, other than NCAA Tournament games--which ESPN doesn't have the rights to anyway.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

2nd highest viewership. Of course the one with the most did have the Gophers in it
                As did the lowest rated one in the past 16 years.
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  As did the lowest rated one in the past 16 years.
                  Yeah, you said that already. Learn to read. It had a lot to do with our opponent. The game was a projected blowout, and was. It was almost a foregone conclusion.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind on the ratings numbers is the 'game time'. The Semi's are late afternoon (4 eastern time). The Championship game in '96 was a Sat. afternoon. The Champ game in '98 was prime time Sat night. Also the scheduling of the F Four has fallen on Easter weekend quite a few times in the last twenty years.

I hope that the games don't get shuffled off to the internet as the primary service and the TV is the 'regional' outlet. Not all have access to ESPN3 from their cable service. College hockey has always been handled as a second tier sport in the media and if the games are more difficult to obtain this will not get the casual viewer to join the fun.
                    He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

So all the California Gopher fans didn't bother to watch, huh.
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        So all the California Gopher fans didn't bother to watch, huh.
                        Envy is ugly, and you wreak of it

Comment

Yeah, you said that already. Learn to read. It had a lot to do with our opponent. The game was a projected blowout, and was. It was almost a foregone conclusion.
                          You're joking right? New Hampshire was a #1 seed (just like Minnesota) was ranked higher, and had beaten the #1 team in college hockey that year (Cornell) in the Semifinal. Minnesota wasn't even the highest ranked team in its conference (Colorado College).
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            You're joking right? New Hampshire was a #1 seed (just like Minnesota) was ranked higher, and had beaten the #1 team in college hockey that year (Cornell) in the Semifinal. Minnesota wasn't even the highest ranked team in its conference (Colorado College).
                            No, I'm not. Minnesota destroyed them, and were expected to. Rankings can be misleading.

Comment

The game was tied 1-1 until midway through the 3rd. It was not a blowout. The Gophers certainly pulled away in the second half of the 3rd, but it was a close game for a majority of the time.
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

No, I'm not. Minnesota destroyed them, and were expected to. Rankings can be misleading.
                                I remember the game. Minnesota was not expected to destroy them. It was not just about rankings either. Did you not read the rest of my post?

Please provide some evidence to your claim that Minnesota was expected to destroy New Hampshire.

Here is USCHO's preview of that game...

http://www.uscho.com/2003/04/11/2003...-game-preview/
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X