Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

    @SkipBerryHockey on twitter ( www.twitter.com/skipberryhockey ) is reporting that NBC/Versus are close to announcing a deal which would feature a game of the week each Friday night, with each conference being featured a minimum of twice (Including AHA). I think this would be great for the expanding interest in the sport (even more if they put the games on NBC, but I guess small steps are a good start). What are your thoughts?
    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

    AHA Pick'em spreadsheet 2019-2020: https://tinyurl.com/AHApickem19

    RIT Tigers
    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
    Men's Frozen Four 2010
    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

  • #2
    Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

    My thoughts are I like it, but I'm real curious to hear from the same people who always say nobody watches college hockey and we'll never get to see it on TV (even though you can generally see several games on TV each weekend during the season). If true I think this just blew up the paradigm for certain posters.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

      While I like the potential for exposure I wouldn't get your hopes up unless you're a fan of a big team in each conference.

      IMHO the games most likely to get the broadcasts:
      HE: BU vs BC
      AHA:Air Force vs Army (People will have somewhat of an interest in seeing military academies)
      CCHA: Mich vs MchSt
      WCHA: UMin vs Wisc or UND.
      ECAC: Cornell vs Yale?

      Other schools that might get a game in would be Notre Dame, UNH, Denver, and maybe Ohio State just because they are Ohio State and have that TV brand in other sports. Outside that I'm not sure which schools will get nationwide games.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

        Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
        While I like the potential for exposure I wouldn't get your hopes up unless you're a fan of a big team in each conference.

        IMHO the games most likely to get the broadcasts:
        HE: BU vs BC
        AHA:Air Force vs Army (People will have somewhat of an interest in seeing military academies)
        CCHA: Mich vs MchSt
        WCHA: UMin vs Wisc or UND.
        ECAC: Cornell vs Yale?

        Other schools that might get a game in would be Notre Dame, UNH, Denver, and maybe Ohio State just because they are Ohio State and have that TV brand in other sports. Outside that I'm not sure which schools will get nationwide games.
        Yes, but. Yes, but, it opens dates within current contracts for other games... if they're broadcasting BU/BC the same week that UNH and Maine (or an undercard, say UML/UMA) then both will get exposure, albeit at different levels.

        Now, that may shift contracts down the road... but for now this would just increase exposure. It'll be interesting to see where this goes because my impression was that things like North Texas basketball tended to out-viewer NCAA Hockey... maybe that's a wrong impression. It could also be that VS wants to boost its hockey branding and that this is done w/ cooperation with the NHL.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

        Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey


        NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

          ECAC needs Clarkson-SLU to be featured for one of the matchups.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

          2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

          Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

          "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

          Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

            Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Yes, but. Yes, but, it opens dates within current contracts for other games... if they're broadcasting BU/BC the same week that UNH and Maine (or an undercard, say UML/UMA) then both will get exposure, albeit at different levels.

            Now, that may shift contracts down the road... but for now this would just increase exposure. It'll be interesting to see where this goes because my impression was that things like North Texas basketball tended to out-viewer NCAA Hockey... maybe that's a wrong impression. It could also be that VS wants to boost its hockey branding and that this is done w/ cooperation with the NHL.
            I think the higher basketball ratings are do to the fact that basketball has always been marketed more by tv networks. The networks could see college hockey as a risk as opposed to broadcasting a mid major bball game especially when you consider that bball is more of a tv advertising friendly sport as opposed to hockey.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

              Hockey is perceived as not telegenic. The advent of HD television has helped to change that.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

              North Dakota Hockey:

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                ECAC needs Clarkson-SLU to be featured for one of the matchups.
                Have them do, as a doubleheader, the games in Lake Placid!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                  AIC vs Sacred Heart?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                    Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                    ECAC needs Clarkson-SLU to be featured for one of the matchups.
                    Yeah! And the Friday after that can be UAA v Mankato!
                    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                      I would also be interested to see if they will try and purchase rights to the Beanpot.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                        Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                        Yeah! And the Friday after that can be UAA v Mankato!
                        Ohh, that's too bad Cross Cheque....here you thought the NCHC was going to have Versus all to yourselves.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                          Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                          I would also be interested to see if they will try and purchase rights to the Beanpot.
                          Now that would be a great idea, I hate watching it on the B2 network or whatever the hell internet site is trying to stream live.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                            Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                            While I like the potential for exposure I wouldn't get your hopes up unless you're a fan of a big team in each conference.

                            IMHO the games most likely to get the broadcasts:
                            HE: BU vs BC
                            AHA:Air Force vs Army (People will have somewhat of an interest in seeing military academies)
                            CCHA: Mich vs MchSt
                            WCHA: UMin vs Wisc or UND.
                            ECAC: Cornell vs Yale?

                            Other schools that might get a game in would be Notre Dame, UNH, Denver, and maybe Ohio State just because they are Ohio State and have that TV brand in other sports. Outside that I'm not sure which schools will get nationwide games.
                            The question will be that since NESN or CBS-College Sports have broadcasted all the BC/BU games recently what will be the pecking order for choosing the "Game of the Week". It wouldn't make sense to have two networks covering the same game when there are such limited tv opportunities.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

                              How are all conferences going to be covered twice if Versus/NBCSports isn't starting their hockey coverage until January?

                              That leaves you just eight to nine weeks of regular season play and three or two (respectively) weeks of playoffs. Maybe it's my "small school" math skills, but five (conferences) doesn't divide nicely into eight or nine. Sounds like it's going to be made up of mostly non-conference play.

                              And I doubt NBC is going to pay to broadcast on both Friday AND Saturday night. Too much setup/teardown for equipment for such a gamble. I expect one game a week ala the NHL package.
                              Last edited by aparch; 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                              Live Radio from 100.3

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X