X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame to join Big Ten?

To answer your question: No.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      The best possible solution is for Notre Dame to close as a school completely so I never have to hear about them again.
      +1
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        perhaps ND and the Big Ten are hammering out a deal for ND to become a Big Ten school?
        The Big 10 has made it clear that a member in any sport is a member in all sports. Notre Dame has made it clear their football team will remain independant. So I would be shocked if there is a deal in the works.

It is also worth noting that Tom Nevala, Notre Dame's associate athletic director/hockey administrator, has flat out stated that "Joining the Big Ten conference for hockey is not a possibility". (http://articles.southbendtribune.com...ast-tom-nevala)
        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
          Once again EA has neglected to include ncaa teams in this years edition of NHL
          http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/nhl-12-hockey-whiteboard
          No college hockey videogame
          They're not going to because it'd be a pain in the *** to include college hockey.

Canadian Juniors are basically already set up the same as AHL and NHL teams, so coding it is the same as a baseball game having AA and AAA teams for each franchise.

College hockey has fewer games almost all within conference play, uneven conference size, different tournament setups, and a single elimination 16 team playoff to code for.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Notre Dame has been courted now and then over the years by several conferences but they felt it was in their best interests to keep things as they are. Of course it was because of their football program that they were wanted but what may be a good fit for one of the school's sports may not be a good fit for the other sports. Notre Dame would be allowed to play Big Ten teams in non-conference games which the Big Ten will need a lot of with only 6 member teams in their new conference but NCAA rules prohibit a school from being a member of a true conference in only one sport, it's all of your sports or nothing. This of course doesn't apply to "orphan" conferences like the CCHA which existed because the members school's true conference alignments don't have the minimum 6 teams to have their own hockey. Now due to Penn State the Big Ten now has the required 6 teams and hence you now have Big Ten Hockey. Everyone understand this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Notre Dame has been courted now and then over the years by several conferences but they felt it was in their best interests to keep things as they are. Of course it was because of their football program that they were wanted but what may be a good fit for one of the school's sports may not be a good fit for the other sports. Notre Dame would be allowed to play Big Ten teams in non-conference games which the Big Ten will need a lot of with only 6 member teams in their new conference but NCAA rules prohibit a school from being a member of a true conference in only one sport, it's all of your sports or nothing. This of course doesn't apply to "orphan" conferences like the CCHA which existed because the members school's true conference alignments don't have the minimum 6 teams to have their own hockey. Now due to Penn State the Big Ten now has the required 6 teams and hence you now have Big Ten Hockey. Everyone understand this?
              The B1G was not required by NCAA rules to sponsor hockey. I don't believe it was even REQUIRED in conference by-laws.* The "all or nothing" is a B1G thing, not NCAA. If it was, ND would be in the Big East for football.

*If I've read correctly what's been posted, the vote was required when 6 teams had a sport, but not necessarily conference sponsorship if that's the way the vote went. I'm sure Alton or someone can correct me if I am wrong.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                The Big 10 has made it clear that a member in any sport is a member in all sports. Notre Dame has made it clear their football team will remain independant. So I would be shocked if there is a deal in the works.

It is also worth noting that Tom Nevala, Notre Dame's associate athletic director/hockey administrator, has flat out stated that "Joining the Big Ten conference for hockey is not a possibility". (http://articles.southbendtribune.com...ast-tom-nevala)
                Even more worth noting...he considered the ECAC more of a possibility for Notre Dame than the Big Ten.

(The following is a joke. Please take it as such.) Which means, of course, that the delay is that Notre Dame is waiting for the Ivies to separate from the ECAC, so that Notre Dame can become an associate member of the ILHC.
                Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                Go Crimson!

Comment

but NCAA rules prohibit a school from being a member of a true conference in only one sport, it's all of your sports or nothing.
                  This is wildly untrue, and there are numerous examples present and recent past of teams only being partially in one conference. ND non-football sports is the most glaring one. Temple football used to be a Big East member, while they were A-10 in all other sports.
                  time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    They're not going to because it'd be a pain in the *** to include college hockey.

Canadian Juniors are basically already set up the same as AHL and NHL teams, so coding it is the same as a baseball game having AA and AAA teams for each franchise.

College hockey has fewer games almost all within conference play, uneven conference size, different tournament setups, and a single elimination 16 team playoff to code for.
                    Of all the actual reasons this will never happen, you think that the difficulty of modifying the code from a 16 team best-of-7 tournament to a 16 team single elimination tournament is one of them?

Comment

Sorry for the brain fart, what I meant was Big Ten rules only allow all sports participation to be a member of the conference not NCAA rules. The Big Ten has never allowed a team from another conference to be a partial or one sport member. This doesn't mean they can't change their bylaws if they so wish but I really don't see it happening - unless they think they can take in some big bucks!

Comment

Sorry for the brain fart, what I meant was Big Ten rules only allow all sports participation to be a member of the conference not NCAA rules. The Big Ten has never allowed a team from another conference to be a partial or one sport member. This doesn't mean they can't change their bylaws if they so wish but I really don't see it happening - unless they think they can take in some big bucks!
                        ah ok, yes, you're right. and i dont believe for one second that the big ten would take ND in hockey only. they've wanted ND football for decades and won't let them in in any way without football. a scheduling agreement of some sort I see as a real possibility however, especially against Michigan and MSU.
                        time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                          Of all the actual reasons this will never happen, you think that the difficulty of modifying the code from a 16 team best-of-7 tournament to a 16 team single elimination tournament is one of them?

Read above guys. It has already been done for the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                            That's why it's last on the list. Basically searching for whatever was different. Could you imagine them fiddling with the pairwise? Given their efforts on the BCS on the football games I've had over the last decade, it'd be laughable.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Of all the topics in our Hockey Summer, this one needs to go away the most. Notre Dame joining the Big Ten in any fashion, whether it be for all sports, or for just hockey, or any other combination, is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

There has been so much mis-information floated over the last few years about Notre Dame approaching the Big Ten (never happened in any modern era) or the Big Ten approaching Notre Dame (happened formally twice since 1993, and Notre Dame declined the offer both times with extreme prejudice) and nearly every time the person relating the details has it wrong. Notre Dame doesn't fit with the Big Ten in so many ways, and it seems as if most people just assume the geography trumps all of that sometimes.

Were Notre Dame TO cast off years of tradition and practice and begin competing in a conference as far as football is concerned, it would likely be a brand new conference, made up them and a few other schools who wish to break away from their current arrangements for whatever reason. And that scenario is nearly as far away as one in which they DO join the Big Ten.

I posted in the ND off season thread that I have heard quietly that Notre Dame has already accepted an offer for a new hockey home, and is awaiting word on logistic concerns they have about a number of items. Not a source from with the athletic department, but reasonably close (and closer than me), so (almost) anything is still possible.

Comment

ok ok ok (cries uncle) Notre Dame is not never ever ever going to the Big Ten. should I delete the thread?
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X