Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Even if the only people who watched this were PSU or OSU alumni, they would outdraw most other college sports programming by a ton.
    But PSU and OSU alumni don't give a **** about hockey.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      With the new leagues, will there eventually be a shift in whether these new Western conferences can get all the top traditional Western based recruits? This shift could occur due to bad W-L records of the bottom feeders of these two conferences.

Most favorable destinations for recruits
      Michigan
      Minnesota

Who will become the new doormats with long term negative impact on overall recruiting
      Ohio State (Osiecki and Exter will not likely allow OSU to lose)
      Wisconsin (possible, but not likely)
      Michigan State (someone has to lose in this setup)
      Penn State (recruiting will tell whether they ever get it going)

Most favorable destinations for recruits
      North Dakota
      Denver
      (**Notre Dame**))

Who will become the new doormats with long term negative impact on overall recruiting
      Minnesota Duluth (possible)
      Colorado College (possible)
      Miami (possible)
      Nebraska Omaha (Dean Blais gives them an edge, but how about after Blais)
      I think Wisconsin and Minnesota will be the tops for b10 recruits. michigan 3rd. the rest...who knows?

Nodak/DU in the new conference, after that I have no idea.

if somehow 4 schools from each new conference maintain their current recruiting we're looking at .500 teams come tourney time or potentially a 17-19 type team in 2nd or 3rd place with an SOS that would destroy the ecac #1 so what happens then?
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        I think Wisconsin and Minnesota will be the tops for b10 recruits. michigan 3rd. the rest...who knows?

Nodak/DU in the new conference, after that I have no idea.

if somehow 4 schools from each new conference maintain their current recruiting we're looking at .500 teams come tourney time or potentially a 17-19 type team in 2nd or 3rd place with an SOS that would destroy the ecac #1 so what happens then?
        Whether they could beat an ECAC team is not the point though. I doubt that with a number of teams from other conferences with significantly better records, any near .500 teams are in, BT conference or not. There are a lot more losses to be absorbed by teams with traditional winning records, that previously went to the MTU's of the world. This will hurt them not only in not making the tourney, but in recruiting too. I mean how many kids prefer to go to a slightly below .500 team that have a minimal chance of the post season.
        I would say from here, that wins is the number 1 most important metric both with recruits and with fans. Less wins equals less fans equals less money. So from a recruiting standpoint, most of the top teams are going to lose their edge within a few years.
        Last edited by manurespreader; 07-18-2011, 08:16 AM.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
          In other words, the Gophers will continue to bring in revenue from both BTN and FSN?
          That is what I have heard. The take from FSN drops, while the take from BTN is pretty much the same as it was with FSN. Seeming nearly every game was televised on FSN (games in Anchorage were usually skipped), it ends up being a loss.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            I have heard there might be triple headers. Also, if the BTN decides not to televise the Gophers they have every right to switch to FSN.

From what I have heard, the Gophers will have a secondary TV contract with FSN, so FSN will pick-up the non-conference games that the BTN isn't broadcasting.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
              From what I have heard, the Gophers will have a secondary TV contract with FSN, so FSN will pick-up the non-conference games that the BTN isn't broadcasting.
              I posted the same thing sometime ago in the Minnesota thread. IMO, all the Gopher games will be shown on television.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                I posted the same thing sometime ago in the Minnesota thread. IMO, all the Gopher games will be shown on television.
                Sorry, must have missed it. My bad.

I agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I would say from here, that wins is the number 1 most important metric both with recruits and with fans. Less wins equals less fans equals less money. So from a recruiting standpoint, most of the top teams are going to lose their edge within a few years.
                  What is most likely to happen in the NCHC is that over the next few years the teams will sort themselves into the upper and lower groups within the league. Those teams who are able to win in the first few years will gain a recruiting advantage over those who finish in the bottom half of the league. The long term result will be a new stratification of haves and have-nots within the NCHC.

I have no idea who will end up as the have-nots, but its going to be really tough on the teams that do.
                  sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                    What is most likely to happen in the NCHC is that over the next few years the teams will sort themselves into the upper and lower groups within the league. Those teams who are able to win in the first few years will gain a recruiting advantage over those who finish in the bottom half of the league. The long term result will be a new stratification of haves and have-nots within the NCHC.

I have no idea who will end up as the have-nots, but its going to be really tough on the teams that do.
                    Agreed. AND.. even the top teams will not have the super duper winning percentage they are used to now days, with resultant reduction in pwr etc. The question is how many additional losses, even by the top teams will it take to affect attendance and recruits? Fans are notoriously fickle. 5 or 6 additional losses might be enough to send some home or result in the same thing that is happening now, no shows at games. Bound to be some real hard feelings down the line especially if the TV deal is not all that they had hoped and the recruits start dropping off.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I personally don't see the NBC / Versus limiting themselves to the NCHC.
                      Why wouldn't they be open to showing Hockey East, WCHA, and CCHA games too or member teams in non-conference games with bigger matchup possibilities.

For recruiting purposes, I hope NBC / Versus is more interested in not limiting their choices by establishing a contract with just one conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                        I personally don't see the NBC / Versus limiting themselves to the NCHC.
                        Why wouldn't they be open to showing Hockey East, WCHA, and CCHA games too or member teams in non-conference games with bigger matchup possibilities.
                        I totally agree. None of the NCHC schools are very well known outside of their local markets and their alumni bases also tend to be concentrated in and around those same markets. By contrast, most of the HEA and ECAC schools have literally hundreds of thousands of alums and others with formal or informal ties to those institutions spread throughout the populous areas east of the Mississippi, and have surprisingly strong pockets of interest in places like Florida, Texas, and California. Aside from the usual BC-BU fare, matchups like Harvard-Yale, Cornell-Princeton, UNH-Maine, and Northeastern UMass (to name just a few), could attract more than a few eyeballs, assuming some attempt at marketing is made. The downside, or course, is that most of the East (SEC excepted) is oriented primarily to pro sports, so college sports is traditionally a tough sell.

I'm not saying the NCHC teams won't be getting exposure. Just that I honestly can't see NBC/Verus or any other carrier limiting itself to just the NCHC (unless maybe ND joins the pack).
                        Last edited by Split-N; 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                        X