Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

    With the new leagues, will there eventually be a shift in whether these new Western conferences can get all the top traditional Western based recruits? This shift could occur due to bad W-L records of the bottom feeders of these two conferences.

    Most favorable destinations for recruits
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    ____________________________________

    Who will become the new doormats with long term negative impact on overall recruiting
    Ohio State (Osiecki and Exter will not likely allow OSU to lose)
    Wisconsin (possible, but not likely)
    Michigan State (someone has to lose in this setup)
    Penn State (recruiting will tell whether they ever get it going)

    Most favorable destinations for recruits
    North Dakota
    Denver
    (**Notre Dame**))

    ____________________________________

    Who will become the new doormats with long term negative impact on overall recruiting
    Minnesota Duluth (possible)
    Colorado College (possible)
    Miami (possible)
    Nebraska Omaha (Dean Blais gives them an edge, but how about after Blais)

  • #2
    Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

    Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    With the new leagues, will there eventually be a shift in whether these new Western conferences can get all the top traditional Western based recruits? This shift could occur due to bad W-L records of the bottom feeders of these two conferences.

    Most favorable destinations for recruits
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    ____________________________________

    Who will become the new doormats with long term negative impact on overall recruiting
    Ohio State (Osiecki and Exter will not likely allow OSU to lose)
    Wisconsin (possible, but not likely)
    Michigan State (someone has to lose in this setup)
    Penn State (recruiting will tell whether they ever get it going)

    Most favorable destinations for recruits
    North Dakota
    Denver
    (**Notre Dame**))

    ____________________________________

    Who will become the new doormats with long term negative impact on overall recruiting
    Minnesota Duluth (possible)
    Colorado College (possible)
    Miami (possible)
    Nebraska Omaha (Dean Blais gives them an edge, but how about after Blais)
    Gut says Wisconsin will continue to do fine. Minnesota has the most to gain (just needs a shake up in the program). Miami has the most to lose.
    Go Gophers!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

      Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Gut says Wisconsin will continue to do fine. Minnesota has the most to gain (just needs a shake up in the program). Miami has the most to lose.
      I agree. I would also add MSU will be an up and down program.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

        Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        I agree. I would also add MSU will be an up and down program.
        Michigan State is taking a huge gamble right now, hiring an unproven coach to take over as they are transitioning into Big 10 hockey. In the CCHA there were some smaller schools that MSU could expect to have a recruiting advantage over just because they were one of the "big boys". That advantage is largely lost in a Big 10 hockey league.

        OSU and Penn St are being looked at as the likey doormats in Big 10 hockey. But there is room for one of these schools to make a serious commitment to hockey with a really good coach and to move up, and there is room for a school like Michigan St to falter with a bad hire.
        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

          Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
          Michigan State is taking a huge gamble right now, hiring an unproven coach to take over as they are transitioning into Big 10 hockey. In the CCHA there were some smaller schools that MSU could expect to have a recruiting advantage over just because they were one of the "big boys". That advantage is largely lost in a Big 10 hockey league.

          OSU and Penn St are being looked at as the likey doormats in Big 10 hockey. But there is room for one of these schools to make a serious commitment to hockey with a really good coach and to move up, and there is room for a school like Michigan St to falter with a bad hire.
          IMO, it is not the facilities they are top notch it will be everything else. OSU will be a doormat unless they decide to place an arena on campus. They have the money but do they have the desire?
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

            Colorado College is good at picking up players who go under the radar that the upper echelon teams pass on. Also at CC, academics is a HUGE factor in recruiting... Unlike UND who will take anybody. I don't see CC having problems recruiting since they target players who would usually never consider going to Michigan or UND. The biggest problem for CC is that DU pulls from the same market.
            Colorado College Tigers

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

              Originally posted by PenaltyBoxBeast View Post
              Colorado College is good at picking up players who go under the radar that the upper echelon teams pass on. Also at CC, academics is a HUGE factor in recruiting... Unlike UND who will take anybody. I don't see CC having problems recruiting since they target players who would usually never consider going to Michigan or UND. The biggest problem for CC is that DU pulls from the same market.
              Are you calling DU players smart!?
              Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
              Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

                Originally posted by PenaltyBoxBeast View Post
                Colorado College is good at picking up players who go under the radar that the upper echelon teams pass on. Also at CC, academics is a HUGE factor in recruiting... Unlike UND who will take anybody. I don't see CC having problems recruiting since they target players who would usually never consider going to Michigan or UND. The biggest problem for CC is that DU pulls from the same market.
                I'm not entirely sure that CC goes unscathed in some respects. Over the years, CC has done an admirable job recruiting kids out of MN (Sertich, Stuart, Hillen, etc) despite being a pretty healthy distance away. But the reality is MN kids knew they could commit to CC and still have a healthy chunk of their games played within MN borders. A relatively easy drive for mom and dad to go to see games in Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Mankato, etc.

                The amount of games CC will play in MN is likely to see a decent drop back once they leave the WCHA. It's not going to be as simple for parents to go see their son play hockey. CC may have to adjust its focus a bit more because I do believe it will impact their recruiting Minnesotans.
                University of Minnesota

                Twitter: Hammy Hockey

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

                  Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  IMO, it is not the facilities they are top notch it will be everything else. OSU will be a doormat unless they decide to place an arena on campus. They have the money but do they have the desire?

                  Mark Osiecki is a winner though, he will not coach a doormat team....
                  Look at his record.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

                    obviously, good and smart.

                    irish eyes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

                      Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                      Mark Osiecki is a winner though, he will not coach a doormat team....
                      Look at his record.
                      This is why I will bet anyone that thinks OSU will finish 5th in 2013-14. It seems obvious to me that Ohio State will have a great shot at being ahead of PSU and MSU
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                      Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

                        Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                        I'm not entirely sure that CC goes unscathed in some respects. Over the years, CC has done an admirable job recruiting kids out of MN (Sertich, Stuart, Hillen, etc) despite being a pretty healthy distance away. But the reality is MN kids knew they could commit to CC and still have a healthy chunk of their games played within MN borders. A relatively easy drive for mom and dad to go to see games in Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Mankato, etc.

                        The amount of games CC will play in MN is likely to see a decent drop back once they leave the WCHA. It's not going to be as simple for parents to go see their son play hockey. CC may have to adjust its focus a bit more because I do believe it will impact their recruiting Minnesotans.
                        I agree. This really does change recruiting for the new conference.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

                          I think y'all are underestimating what television has to do with all this. I think one of the main reasons the ADs and coaches of the 5 existing Big 10 hockey schools got past their sentimentality for the good old WCHA and the good old CCHA is the revenue that will be derived from putting hockey on the Big 10 Network. We have a bazillion channels now on our television sets -- the game is all about content (that's why Comcast bought NBC, but that's another story).

                          I'll give you another example. ESPN. How many channels do they have now? 5? 6? 7? What's their biggest challenge? Finding compelling content. Content like Big 10 hockey is as close to a no brainer as there is.

                          But now the cat is out of the bag. If those 6 schools are on TV about 200 times a year and they're taking in some serious tv revenue, pretty soon there is a serious recruiting advantage. This is, no doubt, what the NCHC is all about as well.

                          As I said on another thread, wait till Jerry York or Jack Parker loses a top recruit to Penn State, or Miami, because they play in a league with a national TV contract. The dominos will keep falling. It won't be too long before Hockey East is "realigning" its way into some tv revenue.

                          I think the dominos keep falling.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: New landscape impact on recruiting - long term

                            Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                            I'm not entirely sure that CC goes unscathed in some respects. Over the years, CC has done an admirable job recruiting kids out of MN (Sertich, Stuart, Hillen, etc) despite being a pretty healthy distance away. But the reality is MN kids knew they could commit to CC and still have a healthy chunk of their games played within MN borders. A relatively easy drive for mom and dad to go to see games in Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Mankato, etc.
                            Didn't CC do pretty well even before SCSU and MSUM were both in conference?

                            I also don't see UM getting a huge recruiting lift from this (no, I don't see a drop off either) because they already get most of the recruits they want in-state and some of their problems extend from not picking the right guys, not getting the most out of them from coaching, bad luck, and perhaps not extending beyond the borders often enough - things that can be fixed without adding to the recruiting pool.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Eph72 View Post
                              I think y'all are underestimating what television has to do with all this. I think one of the main reasons the ADs and coaches of the 5 existing Big 10 hockey schools got past their sentimentality for the good old WCHA and the good old CCHA is the revenue that will be derived from putting hockey on the Big 10 Network. We have a bazillion channels now on our television sets -- the game is all about content (that's why Comcast bought NBC, but that's another story).

                              I'll give you another example. ESPN. How many channels do they have now? 5? 6? 7? What's their biggest challenge? Finding compelling content. Content like Big 10 hockey is as close to a no brainer as there is.

                              But now the cat is out of the bag. If those 6 schools are on TV about 200 times a year and they're taking in some serious tv revenue, pretty soon there is a serious recruiting advantage. This is, no doubt, what the NCHC is all about as well.

                              As I said on another thread, wait till Jerry York or Jack Parker loses a top recruit to Penn State, or Miami, because they play in a league with a national TV contract. The dominos will keep falling. It won't be too long before Hockey East is "realigning" its way into some tv revenue.

                              I think the dominos keep falling.
                              ESPN would have to care about hockey first.
                              They wouldn't show the NCAA tournament if they didn't have to.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

                              R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

                              SCSU 2015-16 scoring by class through 40 games
                              Seniors: 210 points (71G, 139A) from 5 players
                              Juniors: 39 points (8G, 31A) from 4 players
                              Sophomores: 99 points (49G, 50A) from 5 players
                              Freshmen: 129 points (43G, 86A) from 8 players

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X