Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason III: Two Years To Prove It Can Be Done

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Ah, so how's this. kind of the theme song for us older guys eh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQra...=TL-UJEr6eTLVk

Oh and congratulations to Kris Draper on a great career with the wings. He was really fast and a joy to watch play.
    I like to think of myself open minded when it comes to music... but I just don't get opera. It seems like talented high pitch squeeling to me.

(excuse to save thread from page two)
    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
      I like to think of myself open minded when it comes to music... but I just don't get opera. It seems like talented high pitch squeeling to me.

(excuse to save thread from page two)
      Is that what it was? I don't look at videos posted here when I'm at work and I completely forgot to check back when I got home. I agree with you, opera is not appealing to me. I prefer to listen to music where there are actual lyrics, lyrics sang in english. Preferably with a little twang.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Is that what it was? I don't look at videos posted here when I'm at work and I completely forgot to check back when I got home. I agree with you, opera is not appealing to me. I prefer to listen to music where there are actual lyrics, lyrics sang in english. Preferably with a little twang.
        Yeah, it was an italian one I believe. I've no problem listening to music in other languages... but opera especially female high pitch stuff... is just bad.
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
          Yeah, it was an italian one I believe. I've no problem listening to music in other languages... but opera especially female high pitch stuff... is just bad.
          I don't mind foreign language music (Gipsy Kings, Shakira, Rammstein, I like 'em all). Opera? Aside from the aria (is that correct?) "Figaro," opera can suck a big rubbery one. And why Figaro? Looney Toons and Bugs Bunny, of course.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I don't mind foreign language music (Gipsy Kings, Shakira, Rammstein, I like 'em all). Opera? Aside from the aria (is that correct?) "Figaro," opera can suck a big rubbery one. And why Figaro? Looney Toons and Bugs Bunny, of course.
            Hell yeah!!

Oh, and this is for Twitch.....

*****https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-00O8qpdde7c/Ti9BeGsUPTI/AAAAAAAAB9s/32-Vn4t9Kkc/w300/nomnomnom.gif******
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I don't get into the high pitched squealing of sopranos too often, but I can definitely get into opera sung by a tenor or nice baritone.

Now, I highly doubt I;ll ever pay an arm and a leg to sit and watch a full opera that takes four or five hours. Not for me. But, I dig certain pieces from certain operas.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Opera? Aside from the aria (is that correct?) "Figaro," opera can suck a big rubbery one. And why Figaro? Looney Toons and Bugs Bunny, of course.
                Close! "The Rabbit of Seville" is the overture from Rossini's "The Barber of Seville."
                Bugs Bunny - 96
                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Isn't that a hotel on the strip?
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

One time, when I was about 30, I came inside from a day at the National Guard and my then wife turned on the tv. There was nothing on so we ended up watching La Traviata by Verdi on PBS. Within 10 minutes everyone in the room is in tears and from that moment on I was hooked. I don't know of another medium that portrays a story as powerfully or with as much emotion.

If you go in person, subtitles are displayed over the stage and the average length is about 2.5 hours including the break. Many Operas are in Italian, but some are in French or in German as well, and even a few in English. the Guthrie, in Minneapolis is one of the best places in the US to watch opera BTW.

Opera singers are not fat ladies any more either. Check out Anna Netrebko for instance.
                    Sopranos are of different types. They have voices that vary from very light like Natalie Dassay to heavy and powerful. It takes a lot of training to sing opera well, but it is good music, and just FYI pop singers are almost always electronically augmented so the voice is not theirs really.
                    I'm pretty sure Tech offers a course in music appreciation and I recommend it.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      One time, when I was about 30, I came inside from a day at the National Guard and my then wife turned on the tv. There was nothing on so we ended up watching La Traviata by Verdi on PBS. Within 10 minutes everyone in the room is in tears and from that moment on I was hooked. I don't know of another medium that portrays a story as powerfully or with as much emotion.

If you go in person, subtitles are displayed over the stage and the average length is about 2.5 hours including the break. Many Operas are in Italian, but some are in French or in German as well, and even a few in English. the Guthrie, in Minneapolis is one of the best places in the US to watch opera BTW.

Opera singers are not fat ladies any more either. Check out Anna Netrebko for instance.
                      Sopranos are of different types. They have voices that vary from very light like Natalie Dassay to heavy and powerful. It takes a lot of training to sing opera well, but it is good music, and just FYI pop singers are almost always electronically augmented so the voice is not theirs really.
                      I'm pretty sure Tech offers a course in music appreciation and I recommend it.
                      Old Guthrie or New Guthrie?
                      I was told there would be no math...

Comment

We finally got rid of dumb and dumber and now we've gone... opera?
                        It must be the off-season.

Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          We finally got rid of dumb and dumber and now we've gone... opera?
                          It must be the off-season.

Ryan J
                          I think there is reason the conversation died, no one wants to talk about opera.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I think there is reason the conversation died, no one wants to talk about opera.
                            The only contact with opera is if tMEL gets to the point of having the fat lady sing.

Comment

Got my season ticket reminder today. We are being offered last years price on this years tickets for toughing out the last year of crappy hockey and the resultant turnover. New season ticket buyers will pay about $75 more a seat this year. Interesting.
                              Last edited by Crowdedbrain; 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I'd buy season tickets if I didn't live 6 hours away.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X