Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason III: Two Years To Prove It Can Be Done

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    I don't think this has that much to do with being in shape. Discipline Work Ethic Mind set
    Agreed, distance running = mindset/discipline first and foremost. Not to say that such a run wouldn't be great cardio, it's just secondary to the intended purpose.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Mike Babcock had some nice things to say about Chris Conner yesterday.
    Saw that interview, great to hear that he's trying hard to stick with the big club (though I still figure he'll start the year in GRR and be one of the first call-ups once the injuries start).

Comment

Yes, they still have the ******** rule about having to blow .00, then hold the farking breathalyzer tube in your mouth during the entire event.

How long until someone starts sucking wind while paddling hard during the cardboard boat race, lodges the tube in their windpipe, and sues?
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

It's been pretty quiet recently, so here's an alum update. Rob Nolan will play in the ECHL this season.

Express add goaltender Nolan

September 20, 2011

Hoffman Estates, Ill. - The Chicago Express, proud member of the ECHL and proud affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, announced today that they have agreed to terms with goaltender Rob Nolan.

Nolan, 25, comes to Chicago following an award-packed season in 2010-11 with the Missouri Mavericks of the Central Hockey League. The 6-0, 170 pound net-minder appeared in 44 games with the Mavericks, posting a 26-13-5 record along with a 2.07 GAA and .928 save percentage. He was recognized as the Most Outstanding Goaltender in the CHL, was named to the All-CHL Team, and also played in the CHL All-Star Game.

Nolan began his professional career with the Flint Generals of the International Hockey League in 2009-10. He ended the season with a .912 save percentage and 2.89 GAA along with a 19-22-4 record. Before turning pro, the Sherwood Park, Alberta, native spent four seasons with Michigan Tech, including turning in a .910 save percentage in 2006-07.

Comment

I thought Tech couldn't ruin Homecoming any more than they already have.

I was wrong.

Apparently the university is offering tSBFitW a significant chunk of money NOT to wear hobo clothes for the parade.

I shoulda gone to Ann Arbor.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

The Kalamazoo Gazette's David Drew posted this Tweet tonight.

The Kalamazoo Gazette's David Drew posted this Tweet tonight.

Be sure to check http://mlive.com/broncos tomorrow morning for big college hockey news.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I'm glad to see WMU and St, Clooud go to the NCHC. The conferences will be that much closer to balanced against each other, and I really hate St, Clooud and don't want to play against them anyway. Now if they accept Moorhead and UAH the realignment will be complete.
              I've always had a soft spot for Western though. I hope they dominate the NCHC for years to come
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Well hard to figure out what to think about this move by wmu etc. On the one hand you don't want anyone in your conference that doesn't want to be there.
                Second, wmu and a new rink,... will never happen. at least not downtown. the voters are a totally against raising taxes.Third, St Cloud is a blow to the WCHA IMHO, and I think it's a mistake on their part, but whatever. Forth, Notre Dame... apparently going independent.. a blow to the nchc for sure in terms of media exposure and cache. Maybe the paycheck will be smaller than they thought.

Will the WCHA pick up huntsville?, I would be surprised though I hope they do. BGSU what are you going to do?
                last it looks like GWoz and company really just didn't like coming to Houghton and mankato did they. So we have the old wcha minus three members and with much higher travel expenses, trying to sell itself to the media guys in NYC. And they are trying to say it is an improvement?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Well hard to figure out what to think about this move by wmu etc. On the one hand you don't want anyone in your conference that doesn't want to be there.
                  Second, wmu and a new rink,... will never happen. at least not downtown. the voters are a totally against raising taxes.Third, St Cloud is a blow to the WCHA IMHO, and I think it's a mistake on their part, but whatever. Forth, Notre Dame... apparently going independent.. a blow to the nchc for sure in terms of media exposure and cache. Maybe the paycheck will be smaller than they thought.

Will the WCHA pick up huntsville?, I would be surprised though I hope they do. BGSU what are you going to do?
                  last it looks like GWoz and company really just didn't like coming to Houghton and mankato did they. So we have the old wcha minus three members and with much higher travel expenses, trying to sell itself to the media guys in NYC. And they are trying to say it is an improvement?
                  Its become a huge farce at this point and everyone involved in that horse**** league looks like complete ****ing dumbass. The best news possible is that Notre Dame isn't going there, they won't get their mythical TV deal and they won't get their "National Exposure". It will cost a bunch more for all of the schools, they won't get the extra TV money they expected and they lose out on the Alaska exemption. They are completely ****ed, and it makes me so happy.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The WCHA was stronger with SCSU, but unlike what's been suggested in a few of the media reports and thread posts, this doesn't relegate the WCHA to a one-bid league. The WCHA will be strong enough to get enough wins in non-conference play to make a good league record count for something. In every league there are winners and losers, and the way the pairwise is set up that should be enough to get a couple teams in a year. It will be interesting to see how the bottom of the NCHC feels a few years in. As Tech fans know, "yeah but it's a really good conference that we are at the bottom of" only goes so far before frustration sets in. As for Huntsville, I've read some of their thread but I can't get a sense for if they are committed to hockey. I'm trying to count teams, and I think the WCHA sits at 8 now? UAH and BGSU would make 10, but I'd be okay with 8 given the geography. You need enough teams for stability, but not so many that league games don't carry that extra rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Its become a huge farce at this point and everyone involved in that horse**** league looks like complete ****ing dumbass. The best news possible is that Notre Dame isn't going there, they won't get their mythical TV deal and they won't get their "National Exposure". It will cost a bunch more for all of the schools, they won't get the extra TV money they expected and they lose out on the Alaska exemption. They are completely ****ed, and it makes me so happy.
                      I can definitely see ND going independent. Unlike football where large mega conferences constrict non-conference scheduling with independents, hockey is going the other direction to smaller conferences. Notre Dame would have no trouble getting a schedule set up. I wonder if 6 months ago, the NCHC was told they would have Western instead of ND if they would have gone for it...

Comment

They need doormats. I still think a few teams are screwing themselves hard here and will regret the changes badly
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                          They need doormats. I still think a few teams are screwing themselves hard here and will regret the changes badly
                          Hopefully the WCHA tells them to **** off when they want back in after 5 years of being the whipping boys.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

While it would benefit the WCHA to have BG in so as to have a D 1 team, it is a long way to go there. I don't really know if they are leaning to the wcha or not, they said they were but that was a month ago.
                            They had to know that wmu was not going to bring them into the nchc and at this point they might want to go to atlantic hockey, if atlantic will take them. it's a shorter drive for them and most likely cheaper. I wish they had said something earlier and I wonder why they didn't.
                            Either way if they want in I would be glad to have them.
                            I agree that there are enough good teams in the WCHA that there could be more than one bid and I also agree that the nchc is a joke. The non conference schedule for the WCHA teams will become really important now though.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              I thought Tech couldn't ruin Homecoming any more than they already have.

I was wrong.

Apparently the university is offering tSBFitW a significant chunk of money NOT to wear hobo clothes for the parade.

I shoulda gone to Ann Arbor.
                              Tell em to take the money, and then go out and find the tackiest Pimps and Hoes' outfits they can find. I would think that MTU would find that Hobo would be pretty PC compared to having the girls with their woohaa's all hanging out.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I work my arse off all morning, and this is was the "big news"?

Much as I prefer the geography the way it is, I think the WCHA really should reach out to Huntsville now. If that program folds and if someone like BG were to ever follow suit, I fear that the threat of contracting to a 12-team NCAA tourney becomes much more real. In that scenario the new WCHA teams will likely be fighting for a 4-seed autobid every year like the AHA schools currently do.

In my opinion, today's decisions weaken the NCHC a bit (they needed to lighten the load anyway), but the new conference will still have three teams in the tourney most years, assuming college hockey can hang onto the 16-team format.

Comment

Working...
                                X