• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Here's some perspective and history:
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...ue-may-be-best
    Your Gwozdecky quote left out the important part, here it is;
    In those days, you had your tremendously strong programs, Denver being one of them. Back in those days, there were certain programs that struggled to be able to win, and if you didn’t bring your ‘A’ game on a specific night, if you were one of the top teams in the league, you still had a pretty good chance to win. Not so much anymore.
    So apparently George is tired of losing to bottom tier teams in the WCHA when they don't bring their 'A' game. The formation of the NCHC is a return to the days of tremdously strong programs and programs that struggle to be able to win.

The big difference I see between when UM, MSU, ND and MTU went to the CCHA and this NCHC, is that they weren't leaving for like minded schools or because they thought it was a better conference. But rather it made sense geographically. Same could be said of when Hockey East was formed. They were already split east and west, and Ivy. Even today the B1G schools left because the conference made them. And that was because of the B1G network/money!! I don't see any money coming from the NCHC. College hockey will work on the B1G network because it's veiwing area overlaps the college hockey map. Versus is a national cable network. People down south and out west are not going to watch college hockey.
    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
      Your Gwozdecky quote left out the important part, here it is;
      So apparently George is tired of losing to bottom tier teams in the WCHA when they don't bring their 'A' game. The formation of the NCHC is a return to the days of tremdously strong programs and programs that struggle to be able to win.

The big difference I see between when UM, MSU, ND and MTU went to the CCHA and this NCHC, is that they weren't leaving for like minded schools or because they thought it was a better conference. But rather it made sense geographically. Same could be said of when Hockey East was formed. They were already split east and west, and Ivy. Even today the B1G schools left because the conference made them. And that was because of the B1G network/money!! I don't see any money coming from the NCHC. College hockey will work on the B1G network because it's veiwing area overlaps the college hockey map. Versus is a national cable network. People down south and out west are not going to watch college hockey.
      UM, MSU, ND and MTU left for geography and to help the CCHA increase the profile of the other league....and as far as that quote...everything makes sense now. Gwoz pushed this because he hated losing to a 4 win team in Michigan Tech...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• The more I think about it, the more I think something else might be afoot here. Clearly, the NCHA would want Norte Dame, but that's almost too much to wish for I think. I almost wonder if the schools know if there's another school out west, that's big enough that with there brand name is big enough that any league would want them. Having some knowledge about a school that's been fairly quiet about their fundraising efforts would be a huge ace in the hole. It's too late for this year for a school like UBC to announce that they're crossing the border and joining NCAA D2, which in turn would allow them to go D1 in hockey.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          The more I think about it, the more I think something else might be afoot here. Clearly, the NCHA would want Norte Dame, but that's almost too much to wish for I think. I almost wonder if the schools know if there's another school out west, that's big enough that with there brand name is big enough that any league would want them. Having some knowledge about a school that's been fairly quiet about their fundraising efforts would be a huge ace in the hole. It's too late for this year for a school like UBC to announce that they're crossing the border and joining NCAA D2, which in turn would allow them to go D1 in hockey.
          UB who?
          No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm guessing University of British Columbia.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
              I'm guessing University of British Columbia.
              Correct.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

I stand by UB who?

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think something else might be afoot here. Clearly, the NCHA would want Norte Dame, but that's almost too much to wish for I think. I almost wonder if the schools know if there's another school out west, that's big enough that with there brand name is big enough that any league would want them. Having some knowledge about a school that's been fairly quiet about their fundraising efforts would be a huge ace in the hole. It's too late for this year for a school like UBC to announce that they're crossing the border and joining NCAA D2, which in turn would allow them to go D1 in hockey.
                  My bet is they are waiting and hoping for Notre Dame.
                  sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                    My bet is they are waiting and hoping for Notre Dame.
                    True, but UBC would be d decent back up plan with as much potential the thunderbirds would have in opening up the Canadian market to college hockey.

It just happens.

Comment

True, but UBC would be d decent back up plan with as much potential the thunderbirds would have in opening up the Canadian market to college hockey.
                      There is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks UBC is joining the NCHC.

http://www.publicaffairs.ubc.ca/2011...er-of-the-cis/

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

ever? you're full of crap
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          ever? you're full of crap
                          Read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            I did...thats today...who knows about tomorrow...then again, I doubt the NCHC lasts that long...

Comment

True, but UBC would be a decent back up plan with as much potential the thunderbirds would have in opening up the Canadian market to college hockey.
                              That won't happen, according to NCAA rules. While normal (US-based) Division II member institutions may compete for a Division I Championship if there is no Division II championship in that sport, the NCAA has specifically stated that Canadian institutions may not under any circumstances compete for a Division I Championship.

See, for example, page 2 of the February 2011 report of the Division I Administration Cabinet:
                              http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/DI_Admin_Cab...1%20Report.pdf

"The cabinet reviewed Constitution 3.1.1, which limits Division I membership to colleges, universities, athletics conferences or associations, and other groups that are related to intercollegiate athletics that are accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies and that are located in the United States, its territories or possessions, and agreed that the principle set forth in such legislation should also apply to eligibility for participation in a Division I championship."

I don't see any reason that the NCHC would want to admit a member that is constrained by Division II scholarship limits and scheduling limits, and is not eligible for the Division I championship.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

That was released back in April, and hell, a lot has changed since then. And frankly, I'm sure that they can rewrite the rule book if they wanted to. College Hockey Inc. would easily see that having a Canadian school becoming a decent brand and power house would be simply huge in educating every Canadian prospect out there about keeping their NCAA eligibility. They lean on the Big Ten and the other big schools in hockey, and they should be to change that rule for UBC and other Canadian schools that would like to play NCAA hockey. At worse, UBC never becomes a powerhouse, but college hockey gets more exposure north of the border for the price or rewriting a rule.

It just happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X