Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Read D-I proposition 2010-100 on NCAA.org. No apparent exceptions.
    its not an exception specifically for hockey, its an exception because there is no NCAA sponsored DII championship.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We've seen some contradictory rules posted on this forum. I think we'll just have to wait for the presser to see what they have to say.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

"The practice of allowing schools to sponsor a single sport in a different division would be eliminated, except in sports where no championship is conducted in its division. Divisions II and III schools currently taking advantage of this opportunity would not affected unless they fail to conduct the sport in Division I for any ensuing year."
        http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ship+standards

Also: "The proposal will be considered as part of the regular legislative cycle, with an effective date of August 1, 2011. Schools already in the reclassification process will not be affected by the change."
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          A better theory is that no one at MSU-Moorhead thought to look at a rulebook, and they're announcing the formation of hockey team without knowing that they can't play D1.
          While I would LOVE Moorhead to add a hockey squad, anyone who is slightly familiar with the University would not be at all surprised if that were exactly the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            A better theory is that no one at MSU-Moorhead thought to look at a rulebook, and they're announcing the formation of hockey team without knowing that they can't play D1.
            There's no D2 Championship for hockey, so they wave that rule. They would have to gut too many schools from D1 hockey for D2 championship to work, and if they're going to force the D2 playups down, they could also force the D3 play ups back to D3 as well. That means about an eight team D1 playoff, and a lot of schools that are not happy at all in being regulated down.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              "The practice of allowing schools to sponsor a single sport in a different division would be eliminated, except in sports where no championship is conducted in its division. Divisions II and III schools currently taking advantage of this opportunity would not affected unless they fail to conduct the sport in Division I for any ensuing year."
              http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ship+standards
              Also: "The proposal will be considered as part of the regular legislative cycle, with an effective date of August 1, 2011. Schools already in the reclassification process will not be affected by the change."
              I believe this ruling has more to do with basketball then anything else. So many schools jump to DIV I in that sport to get a slice of the big money NCAA tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                There's no D2 Championship for hockey, so they wave that rule. They would have to gut too many schools from D1 hockey for D2 championship to work, and if they're going to force the D2 playups down, they could also force the D3 play ups back to D3 as well. That means about an eight team D1 playoff, and a lot of schools that are not happy at all in being regulated down.
                Everyone before the legislation was grandfathered...so forcing the current playups down was never an issue, the question was can new DII schools play up. As far as I can tell the answer has always been YES when it comes to hockey. Wonder if we'll ever see the Northeast-10 play up as a group as a AHA type league...

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Everyone before the legislation was grandfathered...so forcing the current playups down was never an issue, the question was can new DII schools play up. As far as I can tell the answer has always been YES when it comes to hockey. Wonder if we'll ever see the Northeast-10 play up as a group as a AHA type league...
                  They've seemed happy to just stick around, playing a D-III schedule for cost containment. Probably more for the scholarships than anything else. They'd certainly be able to get plenty of non-conference matchups without traveling too far.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    2. Is Minnesota part of the Big Ten? Did the Big Ten start all of these conference vibrations? Ergo, Minnesota fingerprints on floodgate.
                    2a. Also, couldn't the Big Ten have changed their "six teams means we play as Big Ten" rule for hockey and stopped all conference shuffling and "death of college hockey" talk? It's just a Big Ten rule, they could change their rule. Or, we know Big Ten teams are really good at forgetting/ignoring rules (see: Ohio State football) so why didn't they.
                    More deflection.

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    Wow, just wow. And to think I used to consider you a fairly rational Sue fan....
                    Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      They've seemed happy to just stick around, playing a D-III schedule for cost containment. Probably more for the scholarships than anything else. They'd certainly be able to get plenty of non-conference matchups without traveling too far.
                      Yeah, when I posted that I didn't realize there was only 4 of them. Maybe if they had 6 they would play-up. Although now that I look closer...UMass-Lowell, Bentley, AIC, and Merrimack are members of the Northeast-10 that chose to play up way back when so the Northeast-10 could have a conference just by adding Bentley and AIC from the AHA.
                      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        psst, I was making fun of MSU-Moorhead's ineptitude
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          More deflection.
                          More denial by the Big Tenners. If college hockey is Caesar, I'll claim some blood on the hands; however, "et tu Brute".

Then again, seems we're hearing of MSU-Moorhead possibly jumping in the hockey pool. Will UND get credit for adding to hockey if that happens?
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Then again, seems we're hearing of MSU-Moorhead possibly jumping in the hockey pool. Will UND get credit for adding to hockey if that happens?
                            So MSU-Moorhead is getting an invite to the BHHC?
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

No, but they're presumably getting a spot in the WCHA that UND opened up for them.

UND created opportunity for college hockey expansion.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Who wants to bet MSU-Moorhead would win a WCHA regular season title before MTU?
                                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Working...
                                X