The Beginning of new hockey leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

None of this would be happening if not for the Big Ten having the "six and we go on our own" rule.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      None of this would be happening if not for the Big Ten having the "six and we go on our own" rule.
      then it'd probably be Minny, Wisco, UMD, UND, CC and DU breaking away
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        then it'd probably be Minny, Wisco, UMD, UND, CC and DU breaking away
        No way would Minnesota have agreed to leave the other state schools. Minnesota was like the Godfather. They were the glue that held everything together.

Comment

Some more McLeod Moments:

Gwoz's Walk On Frozen Water at the Ralph: McLeod said that the WCHA wasn't going to punish George for communicating with his team from the press box because the league didn't have a rule against it. Uh, that's an NCAA rule. I don't think "the league" has a rule against crosschecking, either, but somehow the refs are expected to enforce it.

After the Bina-Paukovich incident: He was bemoaning the new NCAA rule on checking from behind because the refs had already called that particular penalty something like four times more than they did in the entire previous season. Probably because players were doing it. No matter. Most people would think it was a good thing that the rule was finally being enforced, but not McLeod. He resented the fact that the NCAA was forcing his officials to enforce the rule.

The fact that Don Adam still refs in the WCHA after that incident and many others is a disgrace to the league: "I just make this **** up as I go along".

After Hak's finger incident: Greg Shepherd refused to review the tapes to see what had upset Hak to the point of blowing his top.

And then there was the famous Sauer-led, WCHA-approved overturning of a major penalty called against a UW player (after the game, which is specifically not allow by the NCAA rulebook!). It was still called a major, but they changed it to a penalty that didn't involved a game suspension. How convenient.

I have this from a pretty reliable source: The coaches had quit submitting complaints about officiating to the league office because they knew nothing would happen.

I'm too lazy to post the "All is well!" scene from "Animal House" here.
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 07-14-2011, 01:28 PM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            No way would Minnesota have agreed to leave the other state schools. Minnesota was like the Godfather. They were the glue that held everything together.
            No way would UMD be doing this if UMTC hadn't opened the flood gate.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Some more McLeod Moments:

Gwoz's Walk On Frozen Water at the Ralph: McLeod said that the WCHA wasn't going to punish George for communicating with his team from the press box because the league didn't have a rule against it. Uh, that's an NCAA rule. I don't think "the league" has a rule against crosschecking, either, but somehow the refs are expected to enforce it.

After the Bina-Paukovich incident: He was bemoaning the new NCAA rule on checking from behind because the refs had already called that particular penalty something like four times more than they did in the entire previous season. Probably because players were doing it. No matter. Most people would think it was a good thing that the rule was finally being enforced, but not McLeod. He resented the fact that the NCAA was forcing his officials to enforce the rule.

The fact that Don Adam still refs in the WCHA after that incident and many others is a disgrace to the league: "I just make this **** up as I go along".

After Hak's finger incident: Greg Shepherd refused to review the tapes to see what had upset Hak to the point of blowing his top.

I have this from a pretty reliable source: The coaches had quit submitting complaints about officiating to the league office because they knew nothing would happen.

And then there was the famous Sauer-led, WCHA-approved overturning of a major penalty called against a UW player (after the game, which is specifically not allow by the NCAA rulebook!). It was still called a major, but they changed it to a penalty that didn't involved a game suspension. How convenient.

I'm too lazy to post the "All is well!" scene from "Animal House" here.
              Always fun to read "North Dakota was the screwed by the refs posts." Good times.

Comment

Always fun to read "North Dakota was the screwed by the refs posts." Good times.
                I don't understand why people complain like they're the only ones ever screwed by the refs...its like the NCHC schools and Wisconsin expect the refs to be perfect when it hurts them...its not like michigan tech or SCSU has never been screwed over in a game against one of the deserters.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I don't understand why people complain like they're the only ones ever screwed by the refs...its like the NCHC schools and Wisconsin expect the refs to be perfect when it hurts them...its not like michigan tech or SCSU has never been screwed over in a game against one of the deserters.
                  Yeah, it's difficult to listen to sometimes. IMO, the reason why North Dakota fans have earned the reputation is that the Sioux play a more physical game than most teams, and that game style tends to take more penalties. The fans might complain the same per call, but North Dakota has tended to have more penalties called because of their style of play, and thus more complaining. Or perhaps we're all halo wearing *******s...your pick
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

dggoddard = zero credibility

What else don't you know and when didn't you know it?

Minnesota was one of the leaders when it came to Bemidji gaining acceptance to the WCHA. We wouldn't have gotten in without them. I don't remember the legislature ever getting involved. These discussions get stupider and stupider. It all reminds me of the guy who gets caught cheating on his wife and then suddenly wants to blame her. Everyone is trying to spin it in their favor but it's all about the greed. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      Yeah, it's difficult to listen to sometimes. IMO, the reason why North Dakota fans have earned the reputation is that the Sioux play a more physical game than most teams, and that game style tends to take more penalties. The fans might complain the same per call, but North Dakota has tended to have more penalties called because of their style of play, and thus more complaining. Or perhaps we're all halo wearing *******s...your pick
                      Well I was talking to a sports writer from Madison and he mentioned part of the reason Wisconsin was pushing so hard was they felt they were being screwed by the league and just couldn't let go of a bad call that cost them a game. I laughed and said "do they remember the time Tech got screwed out of a go ahead goal, it happens to every team, every year" It is what it is...every league struggles with refs, its not like any of them are out to specifically screw a team over. He laughed and said "I know, but that's the way they are." Half the reason they wanted out, is they will feel like they have more control, even if thats not true...

Comment

Originally posted by wreakingball View Post

Minnesota was one of the leaders when it came to Bemidji gaining acceptance to the WCHA. We wouldn't have gotten in without them. I don't remember the legislature ever getting involved.
                        So we both agree Minnesota got Bemidji into the WCHA. If thats the case, and we both agree that it was, why did it take until 2009 for it to happen? Because Minnesota didn't back Bemidji until their arm was twisted.

Believe it or don't believe.
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 07-14-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wreakingball View Post

Minnesota was one of the leaders when it came to Bemidji gaining acceptance to the WCHA. We wouldn't have gotten in without them. I don't remember the legislature ever getting involved. These discussions get stupider and stupider. It all reminds me of the guy who gets caught cheating on his wife and then suddenly wants to blame her. Everyone is trying to spin it in their favor but it's all about the greed. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
                          I'm glad this post was made by a BSU fan. While many Beaver fans malign the UofMN for never playing a series in Bemidji, which is a valid gripe, the fact is Lucia championed BSU --> WCHA from the get go. He was their most vocal supporter in the 10-team WCHA. I also never heard anything about the MN legislature even discussing college hockey in this context.

As I've had a little time to reflect, I think the MN schools left in the WCHA can make a go of it and remain afloat. But, I think that very much depends on MN, UND and UMD realizing that by pulling out of the most competitive and most profitable conference in the history of NCAA hockey, they have left a number of the remaining teams in dire straits.

What I would like to see, and what I think is very plausible, is MN playing MSU - Mankato and SCSU 3 times each year in a 2-1 deal. 1 game of a weekend series at SCSU, the other at MSU. Then those schools each come to Mariucci for a 2-game weekend series. I'm sure the UofMN would be chastized for this by many fans of those schools, but it would be a good deal for SCSU and MSU. They get the Big Boy in their home barn every year. They get 3 games televised on FSN every year, against their most hated rival. And they get the chance every year to travel to Mariucci to see their team play the Gophers.
                          This would keep the local rivalry fresh, would help maintain fan support and interest, help in maintaining a stream of MN recruits (games on FSN, 3 games against the big dog) and help in keeping travel costs low and maintaining a reliable, if not large, stream of revenue for those 3 games. The Gophers would still have 4 other non-conference series to do as they please.

I think something similar could be worked out between BSU and UND/UMD to get those two teams into the BRECC once a year; and it would play very well on regional broadcasts.

Given Lucia's stated record of wanting hockey to grow and remain vibrant in the state of MN, I think this (or something similar to it) is very likely to be worked out. I just Hope UND/UMD, and possibly the UofMI and MI ST (with the smaller MI schools) think along the same lines.
                          Last edited by Stauber1; 07-14-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                            Given Lucia's stated record of wanting D1 college hockey to grow and remain vibrant in the state of MN, I think this (or something similar to it) is very likely to be worked out. I just Hope UND/UMD, and possibly the UofMI and MI ST (with the smaller MI schools) think along the same lines.
                            I know Hakstol has already had talks with Serratore about continuing to play each other when the National forms. Hopefully local rivalries continue even after all the change.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

They couldn't have chosen to propose a "hockey exception" to the "if six play the sport" rule? Did they even try that? It's such a convenient excuse, but it's just a league rule. They wrote it; they could lobby to change it.
                              Couldn't UND and DU have chosen to not throw gasoline on the fire and create the NCIS?
                              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

So we both agree Minnesota got Bemidji into the WCHA. If thats the case, and we both agree that it was, why did it take until 2009 for it to happen? Because Minnesota didn't back Bemidji until their arm was twisted.

Believe it or don't believe.
                                Because the WCHA has rules about arenas and the Glass was a crappy arena...

Comment

Working...
                                X