Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beginning of new hockey leagues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    And to nit-pick some finer points. There isn't a "compromise" to be had with Sconnie or Minn. BigTen by-laws explicitly stated that if six or more schools sponsor the same sport, they must form under the BigTen banner. Kinda hard to get around that one.
    If it was a requirement that they form a Big Ten hockey conference, why did the Big Ten Presidents have to "vote" to approve it.

    And if the presidents had to vote to approve it, could they not have presumably have voted, "No?"

    I assume that Penn State got the "Atta Boy" from the Big Ten powers before accepting Terry's $88 million donation. Clearly the president's vote was a formality, but considering the upheval that ensued and the fact that some Michigan schools and communities may be impacted by this, Bruce could of busted his azz to fight this and perhaps save the WCHA.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM.

    Comment


    • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

      Originally posted by aparch View Post

      And to nit-pick some finer points. There isn't a "compromise" to be had with Sconnie or Minn. BigTen by-laws explicitly stated that if six or more schools sponsor the same sport, they must form under the BigTen banner. Kinda hard to get around that one.
      That is correct, the Gophers and Bucky really didn't have a choice.

      DU and UND had a choice and they chose to try and grab a TV deal, which they felt they wouldn't get in the existing WCHA(with McLeod) and without the Gophers and Bucky as part of it.

      Comment


      • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

        Originally posted by darker98 View Post
        Any comment or move about the New league obviously owes you supporting facts.
        No, it was more of a snide remark at dg, who said to me in a seperate thread "Another comment without any supporting facts or evidence."

        So, one snide remark deserves another: know what you're talking about next time.

        Comment


        • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

          Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
          That is correct, the Gophers and Bucky really didn't have a choice.
          They couldn't have chosen to propose a "hockey exception" to the "if six play the sport" rule? Did they even try that? It's such a convenient excuse, but it's just a league rule. They wrote it; they could lobby to change it.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

          North Dakota Hockey:

          Comment


          • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

            Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
            No, it was more of a snide remark at dg, who said to me in a seperate thread "Another comment without any supporting facts or evidence."

            So, one snide remark deserves another: know what you're talking about next time.
            I guess I didn't see the other thread. I'll man up on this and I apologize.
            "My greatest achievement."
            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

            I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

            Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

            Comment


            • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

              Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              I have to believe this was a "controlled" leak and the timing [right before the 4th of July] was intentional. Would love to know the answer to this, one way or another.
              What I said, or this.
              tUMD Hockey

              "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

              Comment


              • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                They couldn't have chosen to propose a "hockey exception" to the "if six play the sport" rule? Did they even try that? It's such a convenient excuse, but it's just a league rule. They wrote it; they could lobby to change it.
                I'm not sure, but I really do wish the WCHA would have stayed the way it was. I was under the impression though that once the 6th Big Ten team started hockey all the "voting" and such is really just a formality and the conference was a forgone conclusion.

                Comment


                • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                  Bucky didn't have a choice. It was their AD who pushed the whole thing through.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

                  Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                    Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    From what I heard they didn't like their marketing and lack of broader television deal.

                    They also said yesterday that they were wasn't a vote to remain together.
                    4four4's list addressing of McLoed's faults is pretty good...although I don't think you can say that the website and social media is rationale for quiting a conference.

                    The TV contract is an issue...but there is no way this would have happened as Minnesota would have vetoed this. Once it was clear the Big Ten was forming...the conference wasn't given enough time to even talk about a network. I still think the McLoed stuff is a smokescreen.
                    Go Gophers!

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                      Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      4four4's list addressing of McLoed's faults is pretty good...although I don't think you can say that the website and social media is rationale for quiting a conference.

                      The TV contract is an issue...but there is no way this would have happened as Minnesota would have vetoed this. Once it was clear the Big Ten was forming...the conference wasn't given enough time to even talk about a network. I still think the McLoed stuff is a smokescreen.
                      It seems that there is so much office politics behind the scenes we may never get a perfectly clear image of what was happening.

                      Swami and other posters called this league months ago.

                      I feel like it is an anti-Big Ten league. They did say how their schools are all in on their hockey programs. That their programs are the most important to their schools (something some Big Ten programs may not be able to say). Perhaps that is how they will sell the new league to recruits. "You don't want to go to the Big Ten because schools X is more concerned about another sport within the school".

                      Just a thought...
                      Last edited by Biddco; 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM.
                      tUMD Hockey

                      "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                        Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                        I was under the impression though that once the 6th Big Ten team started hockey all the "voting" and such is really just a formality and the conference was a forgone conclusion.
                        It's a Big Ten rule. Can't they lobby to change their own rules? Or are they like the "Crack Baby Athletic Association" : http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...ic-association (roughly 7:45 to 9:00 minute marks)

                        "I don't make the rules Ma'am, I just think them up and write them down." - Eric Cartman
                        "Can't you change the rule?" - crack mom
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                        North Dakota Hockey:

                        Comment


                        • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                          Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          It seems that there is so much office politics behind the scenes we may never get a perfectly clear image of what was happening.
                          Most things like this eventually come out in dribs and drabs down the road.

                          One interesting thing that came out before was that the University of Minnesota [Don & Joel] dragged their feet in bringging in Bemidji. Then some in the Minnesota legislature got physical and tied the football stadium deal to Bemidji getting in the WCHA.

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                            Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            It's a Big Ten rule. Can't they lobby to change their own rules?
                            Why would they? Makes no sense for Minny to try to force the B10 to change the rules for their hockey program, given how much their athletic department depends on the B10 money coming in.
                            HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

                            Comment


                            • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                              Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
                              Why would they? Makes no sense for Minny to try to force the B10 to change the rules for their hockey program, given how much their athletic department depends on the B10 money coming in.
                              True, but I'm sure if Michigan and Michigan State were pressed by the Michigan government to help protect WMU, FSU, LSSU and NMU it would have been alot easier to not create the B1GHC with Minny, Michigan and MSU against it.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                              Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                              Comment


                              • Re: The Beginning of new hockey leagues

                                Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                It's a Big Ten rule. Can't they lobby to change their own rules? blah, blah, blah, blah
                                You're desparately trying to deflect attention away from UND. It might fool a few...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X