X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The end of leagues as we know?

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    It's live sports they can cover, pretty much like volleyball. When the national title game usually hovers between 1 and 2 million, I doubt that any regular season game even involving "name" schools is going to manage more then 500,000, which is about a 0.4. If they manage that, it's because the BTN decides to do a better job of hyping the game during other events that get higher ratings, like football and basketball. Casual fans don't really follow hockey. *shrug*
    Bingo, college hockey is not going to be bigger than it is now no matter what. This country just doesnt care to watch hockey outside of the Olympics. The sooner everyone accepts this the better.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Speculation sure does fill the summer months up nicely.

I speculate that all teams outside the BTHC will fold. Because lets be honest, they have zero chance of ever competing with the B1G teams.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
        If I were the AD at ND I would try to broker a deal to get into Big 10 Hockey. They may be able to do that without moving the rest of their sports from the Big East, but football is still the stickling point if that happens. Don't rule out ND and Big 10 hockey. That could still happen.
        There is no deal to be made, Notre Dame will not be even sniffed. The Big Ten has told them on multiple occasions it is all or nothing. So unless Notre Dame is willing to join for football and leave the Big East in everything else there is no reason for this even to be discussed.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          There is no deal to be made, Notre Dame will not be even sniffed. The Big Ten has told them on multiple occasions it is all or nothing. So unless Notre Dame is willing to join for football and leave the Big East in everything else there is no reason for this even to be discussed.
          Exactly! Football money is why the BTHC is so feared, and the other Big Ten schools are not going to want to let ND skate in the league and be on the BTN without them bringing in their football team.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I think Faison's comments, and Schlossman's article, are just angle shots by UND to negotiate the "Minnesota Rule" for UND at the Final 5 in a post Minnesota/Wisconsin WCHA.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              And now with the Big 10 at, err, 12 teams, further expansion even including Notre Dame makes less sense than having 12 teams in a conference called the Big 10.
              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I think Faison's comments, and Schlossman's article, are just angle shots by UND to negotiate the "Minnesota Rule" for UND at the Final 5 in a post Minnesota/Wisconsin WCHA.
                Doubtful.

Per Schlossman...

"UND is having formal discussions about pulling out of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association and joining several other schools in creating a new power hockey league.

The new league is not a done deal, but sources say that the talks have progressed beyond preliminary stages."

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Bingo, college hockey is not going to be bigger than it is now no matter what. This country just doesnt care to watch hockey outside of the Olympics. The sooner everyone accepts this the better.
                  The BTN needed more live programing for their brand.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                    You completely missed the main point. A WCHA consisting of Mankato, Bemidji, St. Cloud, Duluth, (and I wouldn't be surprised to see one r both of St. Cloud/Duluth go to the new conference) Tech, and Anchorage is, de facto, a D-II league. Nothing there tells casual fans "big-time college sports league."

That's pretty much the same schools we already play in other sports in the Northern Sun Conference. It's not only needing the gate from the games against the big schools. It's that the gate against the other schools will drop too, because the whole **** league will be seen as ho-hum.
                    I agree with MavsFan here. Speaking for myself, there is no way I continue to make the 2 hour round trip drive from the Twin Cities if we're in a 2nd rate conference. It's just not worth it....
                    "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      Hint-o-rama: It doesn't exist. In all likelihood it won't ever exist and should that prove wrong it most certainly won't look like it's being talked about here.

DG and Puck Swami are both sitting back, rubbing their hands together with delight and saying to themselves ... look what we've created. Amazing how a lawyer and a marketing/public relations grad can get some many people all atwitter by creating a rumor.
                      +1 It really makes me go hmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
                        I agree with MavsFan here. Speaking for myself, there is no way I continue to make the 2 hour round trip drive from the Twin Cities if we're in a 2nd rate conference. It's just not worth it....
                        Jan is a 2nd rate school with a 2nd rate team and 2nd rate fans... she should fit quite nicely one would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
                          This is an interesting post. Currently, the state of Minnesota produces the most division one hockey players in the country and I think North America. IMO, no way would there be a 2nd rate conference with all the talent in the state of Minnesota. We are just going to wait and see what happens five years from now. It is going to get interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                            Jan is a 2nd rate school with a 2nd rate team and 2nd rate fans... she should fit quite nicely one would think.
                            And I've got nothing...except this 2nd rate response....

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            This is an interesting post. Currently, the state of Minnesota produces the most division one hockey players in the country and I think North America. IMO, no way would there be a 2nd rate conference with all the talent in the state of Minnesota. We are just going to wait and see what happens five years from now. It is going to get interesting.
                            Perhaps you're right but it's just hard to imagine a league that doesn't have UND, Denver, CC, UM, and Wisc being even remotely as fun and competitive.
                            "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

why would any league, team or fan want all the "good" team lumped into one league and all the "bad" teams into another. it makes no sense to me.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I think D.G. is right, I believe this has nothing to do with the Minnesota Rule, I think it's more of a business decision with like minded schools with With the same philosophy... I also think "some of this" has to do with some of the schools in the WCHA not being fond of Bruce McLeod...
                                [Faison told the Herald that he has concerns with “the administrative side of the WCHA.” So perhaps this is all a big power play.

But this has gone beyond the spring rumors of a “Super Six” conference. The Herald reported that, because of scheduling, all of this might have to play out by late summer or early fall.

Could it be the end of the WCHA as we know it?

If so, it would not feel fine. http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...tself-together
                                Last edited by Goon; 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM.
                                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                                Eric's Twitter
                                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X