http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...and-thank-you/
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

• Re: Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
      A sappy wrap up. Getcha tissue ready.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...and-thank-you/
      Nice write up by Dan Rubin. I really felt many of the same vibes about this team as he did, from the opening weekend in Ann Arbor where over 60 of us showed up for a tail-gaiter in the Wolverines parking lot before the Friday night game, to numerous games at the JAR that took on a whole new atmosphere with the fledgling Falcon Nest fans. As Schiegs says, "on campus arena; build it, and they will come." Thanks for initiating the Bentley thread this season, Humanoid, and for posting links to the excalibursportspage articles. I will make one prediction, and that is there is no way that Bentley will begin next season ranked a lowly 10th in the AHA coaches' poll. Bentley is losing some quality leadership and outstanding character seniors, but recruiting has been superb and next year's team will be equally awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Nice write up by Dan Rubin. I really felt many of the same vibes about this team as he did, from the opening weekend in Ann Arbor where over 60 of us showed up for a tail-gaiter in the Wolverines parking lot before the Friday night game, to numerous games at the JAR that took on a whole new atmosphere with the fledgling Falcon Nest fans. As Schiegs says, "on campus arena; build it, and they will come." Thanks for initiating the Bentley thread this season, Humanoid, and for posting links to the excalibursportspage articles. I will make one prediction, and that is there is no way that Bentley will begin next season ranked a lowly 10th in the AHA coaches' poll. Bentley is losing some quality leadership and outstanding character seniors, but recruiting has been superb and next year's team will be equally awesome.
        I've been lookingi nto the recruit situation and founda listing of current commits, including one committed for 2013. There are some good looking players onthe list, but we can discuss at another time on a new board (the 2012-2013 board!).

I agree with the article and with Snively in a sense that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Therei s more and more rumbling for the on-campus arena from the students, and there is no way the school will be able to ignore the program and act like it's off in its own world for much longer. If the program continues to grow and succeed, they may force the school to take notice, even more than they already have. Of course I have no background infromation and that's totally conjecture, but the best way to prove that fact is to keep winning.

It's amazing to think that the best players on this team, statistically, were freshmen ands ophomores. As it were, I believe the beginning of the season saw the younger guys lead more than the seniors until they were really challenged to grab the reigns as captain. That's going to be huge moving forward since the rah-rah guys on the bench, att he beginning at least, were all younger guys before Kayfes and Nudy became the quintessential fourth-line guys.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Man, you guys are brutal to listen to

It'll be nice to have another contender next year in the AHA!
          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
            Man, you guys are brutal to listen to

It'll be nice to have another contender next year in the AHA!
            Did I strike a nerve when I said that over the weekend? hehe

It's funny because this team was so memorable for so many different reasons, but at the same time I'm excited to see what we bring tot he table next year, especially since we're not going to sneak up on anyone either.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Ryan Soderquist would be a great choice as AHA coach of the year. He deserves it from what Bentley accomplished this season.

Comment

Count me in as someone who thinks that Bentley could be a strong contender next year. Obviously being in the Eastern scheduling pod helps, but with the returning scorers that they have, they will be dangerous. They came very close to making it this year. I feel fortunate that RIT came out of the series with the wins.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                  Ryan Soderquist would be a great choice as AHA coach of the year. He deserves it from what Bentley accomplished this season.
                  Based on improvement from AHA coaches' ranking pre-season and the final ranking (as close as that was with only 3 points separating the top six), Bentley was +4 (10 to 6), Mercyhurst +3 (7 to 4), Niagara +2 (4 to 2), AIC +2 (12 to 10), Air Force +1 (2 to 1), Canisius +0 (9 to 9), Sacred Heart +0 (11 to 11), RMU -1 (6 to 7), RIT -2 (1 to 3), UConn - 3 (5 to 8), and Army - 4 (8 to 12).

http://goholycross.com/sports/m-hock...201109206qpx0v

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                    That is humbling as a fan to read. He is a guy that we genuinely love because of how much he bleeds Bentley. He's Mr. Bentley hockey in terms of his history, and he's the all-time winningest coach. At the same time, he's also investing everything he's got in his body to build this program, literally from the ground up. He'd be a great coach of the year just because of how loyal everyone at Bentley is to him.

If I had to peg two other nominees, I'd go with Coach Wilson and Coach Burkholder of Niagara. One thing I noticed about Wayne Wilson is that he shoots from the hip and doesn't mince words. He got his team on the track to a first round bye after a slow start, and RIT this year on the ice looked more vulnerable than it has in the past couple of years. HE managed to get the team going at the exact right moment.

Same with Niagara. Even though Noonan is Mr. Everything in net, that team, on paper, I didn't thnk was as good as they looked. He managed to take individuals who really did nothing for me in terms of great players and got them to play as a solid collective unit. Very impressive resume.

If nothing else, Soderquist needs to be in the running, and Brett Gensler deserves AHA POY.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

If nothing else, Soderquist needs to be in the running, and Brett Gensler deserves AHA POY.
                      The AHA deserves one Hobey candidate, so I am pulling for Brett Gensler, even if he is only a sophomore. Lot of good goalies in the AHA, so Gensler's point total is impressive.

Comment

The AHA deserves one Hobey candidate, so I am pulling for Brett Gensler, even if he is only a sophomore. Lot of good goalies in the AHA, so Gensler's point total is impressive.
                        Kirby is well-deserving and will make a fine representative. He is also a Hobey candidate, winning POY in AHA.

Soderquist named coach of year, Grieve is Rookie of the Year. Gensler is first-team All-AHA, a Bentley first. Bonnett is named second team, with Komm on third team (a little bit of a shocker over Torf, who really sturggled down the stretch). Switzer is named All-Rookie with Grieve.

Good haul, even though the Falcons won't win the trophy I was really hoping them to.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Add the Walter Brown Award to this season's accomplishments. The fact that so many of these accolades are coming to underclassmen is VERY encouraging.
                          Bentley University Hockey
                          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            Add the Walter Brown Award to this season's accomplishments. The fact that so many of these accolades are coming to underclassmen is VERY encouraging.
                            You beat me to it, Schiegs! For those not in the know, the Walter Brown Award is given to the best American-born college hockey player in New England. Brett Gensler is the first Bentley player to receive the award, on its 60th anniversary; he beat out Barry Almeida at BC and Brian Flynn at Maine, and will receive his award at the New England Sports Writers Dinner in April. And, as coach Ryan Soderquist noted, "we have him at Bentley for two more years." I hope that he keeps his two sophomore-to-be linemates Alex Grieve and Brett Switzer next season, as they would remain an awesome first line in the AHA, or all of Div 1 hockey for that matter.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/03/22/bent...-award-winner/

Comment

You beat me to it, Schiegs! For those not in the know, the Walter Brown Award is given to the best American-born college hockey player in New England. Brett Gensler is the first Bentley player to receive the award, on its 60th anniversary; he beat out Barry Almeida at BC and Brian Flynn at Maine, and will receive his award at the New England Sports Writers Dinner in April. And, as coach Ryan Soderquist noted, "we have him at Bentley for two more years." I hope that he keeps his two sophomore-to-be linemates Alex Grieve and Brett Switzer next season, as they would remain an awesome first line in the AHA, or all of Div 1 hockey for that matter.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/03/22/bent...-award-winner/
                              AMEN!

This team is ready to challenge. Can it be October yet?

Any word on recruits coming in?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Any word on recruits coming in?
                                According to http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=2319 , the Falcons have the following players committed:
                                Max French, F, Westside Warriors, BCHL, 7 Oct 1992, Westbrook, B.C., 5'9", 170#, 48 Ga, 25 G, 14 A, 83 PIM
                                Andrew Gladink, F, Nanaimo Clippers, BCHL, 7 March 1991, White Rock, B.C., 6'0", 185#, 59 Ga, 29 G, 30 A, 23 PIM
                                Kyle O'Brien, D, Cushing Academy, 23 March 1993, 6'0", 179#, no data for 2011-2012, 30 Ga, 6 G, 13 A, 0 PIM for 2010-2011
                                Mark Meads, F, Valley Jr. Warriors, EJHL (via Tabor Acad), 16 March 1992, Middleton, Mass., 5'6", 161#, 27 Ga, 5 G, 10 A, 54 PIM
                                Tyler Krause, F, Westside Warriors, BCHL, 15 Sept 1991, Kelowna, B.C., 5'11", 170#, 24 Ga, 12 G, 17 A, 28 PIM, and 27 Ga, 23 G, 18 A, 26 PIM for Okotok Oilers, AJHL
                                Matthew Bloomquist, D, Coulee Region Chill, NAHL, 6 March 1991, Blaine, MN, 6'1", 181#, 44 Ga, 6 G, 16 A, 17 PIM
                                Jesse Petito, F, New Jersey Hitmen, EJHL, 2 July 1991, Ronkonkoma, NY, 5'9", 161#, 24 GA, 8 G, 12 A, 48 PIM
                                Jordy Trottier (is he coming back, as played for Bentley during 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons?), Boomington Blaze, CHL, 5 Nov 1988, Bozeman, MT, 5'11", 181#, 38 Ga, 4 G, 6 A,, 29 PIM

Also, at this site, two Bentley alums are followed:
                                Dustin Cloutier, F, Augusta River Hawks, SPHL, 20 Ga, 10 G, 23 A, then Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL, 34 Ga, 9 G, 4 A
                                Bobby Preece, D, Quad City Mallards, CHL, 60 Ga, 6 G, 9 A, 75 PIM

Comment

Working...
                                X