Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

Very pleased to see the Falcons up 3-0 after 2. Regardless of what happens the rest of this game and, probably, against RIT, this was (is) a great season for them. It's a double-take when you see hockey outperform basketball at Bentley.

Hopefully this will resurrect talk of a new place for them to play.

Chris (1980)
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
      Very pleased to see the Falcons up 3-0 after 2. Regardless of what happens the rest of this game and, probably, against RIT, this was (is) a great season for them. It's a double-take when you see hockey outperform basketball at Bentley.

Hopefully this will resurrect talk of a new place for them to play.

Chris (1980)
      That would be great. The program deserves it!

Comment

5-0 final. Huge congratulations to the Falcons...the Falcons we care about, I mean
        Chris V
        Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Congrats, Bentley!

See you guys next weekend.
          RIT

Comment

Bentley got back on track on Sunday night as Komm earned his third shut out of the season. Gensler picked up two more points to move into a tie with Drew Shore for sixth in Div 1 scoring. But, Bentley's PP was horrible on Sunday night, as they failed to score on eight opportunities, including over 2 minutes of 5-3.

Bentley lost two close games against RIT at the JAR in January, only managing one PPG against Madolara. But, Komm was also very good, giving up only three goals in the two games (the other was an ENG). So, could be another goalie duel in Rochester. Wish that I could attend, but will be in Colorado. If somehow Bentley pulls off the upset, I will definitely be out there the following weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
              Congrats, Bentley!

See you guys next weekend.
              Thank you!

This weekend's games are going to be, on paper, very fun. Bentley is firing on all cylinders save for Saturday night, and they actually play better on other rinks than they do at the JAR.

What we proved this weekend is that the home ice advantage for Bentley isn't really there. They used to use the JAR to their advantage because it's smaller, with a smaller neutral zone, and the intracacies of the ice could cause nightmares for other teams. The JAR is the ultimate negater of athleticism.

For Bentley, going out to RIT means playing on a bigger ice surface, a faster ice surface, and that benefits them more than playing at home. Their last two home losses were to Army and SHU, two teams that used the JAR to their advantage to stymie the Falcons' athleticism with size and plodding, hitting and grabbing. RIT won't do that, especially at home, and that helps. I anticipate two very athletic games.

The only thing is that when they played RIT at home, I walked out with the feeling of "They can't beat these guys" because RIT played so well and exploded up the ice. They were bigger, faster, and more athletic. The good news is that Komm looked fantastic on Friday/Sunday, and if he shows up, maybe it'll be an equalizer.

THis goaltending matchup is going to be unbelievable. Komm/Madolora Round 3. I'm excited.

Not sure if I'm heading up to the game; I missed last night's game but caught the online audio that was offered. Any word on anything heading up to Rochester?
              Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                For Bentley, going out to RIT means playing on a bigger ice surface,
                Really? Ritter is always criticized for its (lack of) size. How much smaller is the JAR???
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  Really? Ritter is always criticized for its (lack of) size. How much smaller is the JAR???
                  I think the JAR feels smaller because hte neutral zone is miniscule. And the blue lines are misshaped. The neutral zone at Bentley has the blue lines almost on top of each other, so no team can really break out without just getting bagged for offsides.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

The webpage has the JAR ice at NHL size (200x85), which would be 15' longer than Ritter. http://www.watertown-ma.gov/index.aspx?NID=302

Never been there, but it seems strange the neutral zone would be smaller than ours if the ice is really 200' long??? I recall back when we switched to DI that our lines had to be redrawn, but I forget exactly what changed. I think our old O-zones were too small and I think we shrunk the area behind the goal line a bit to make it happen and keep some size in the N-zone.

Anyway, should be a great series; looking forward to it.
                    -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                      The webpage has the JAR ice at NHL size (200x85), which would be 15' longer than Ritter. http://www.watertown-ma.gov/index.aspx?NID=302

Never been there, but it seems strange the neutral zone would be smaller than ours if the ice is really 200' long??? I recall back when we switched to DI that our lines had to be redrawn, but I forget exactly what changed. I think our old O-zones were too small and I think we shrunk the area behind the goal line a bit to make it happen and keep some size in the N-zone.

Anyway, should be a great series; looking forward to it.
                      Humanoid and I agree on about everything Bentley hockey, but I have not picked up on anything unusual about the ice surface dimensions or zones at Bentley. What the JAR does suffer is a very low ceiling, so there are a lot more face offs for bouncing the puck off the ceiling than in any other rink that I know. Also, the connectors for the glass sections are not very smooth, so pucks lifted higher than the boards are constantly taking odd bounces. The Sunday game was stopped for a few minutes in an attempt to repair one of the more obtrusive connectors in the far corner on the Bentley bench side.

I spend a lot of time watching hockey at Lake Whitt, where the width is olympic size at 100 ft, which in the old days played to the Wildcats' advantage when they had more speedy skaters. But, Stevie Moses is about the only UNH skater who has taken much advantage of that extra 15 ft of width the past four years, and his advantage has been limited because his line mates cannot keep up with him and he has difficulty finishing.

What I like most about Bentley's team this year is that all four lines are dangerous, even if only the first line has cranked up the offensive numbers this season. The Falcons' greatest weakness of late has been their horrendous power play, so it has not really mattered how many penalties opponents have taken, as Bentley has not been able to capitalize. I do realize that Bentley's only goal at RIT back in January was on the PP.

Should be a great series this weekend and sorry that I cannot be there.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        I do realize that Bentley's only goal at RIT back in January was on the PP.
                        Not that it makes any difference to your point, but that was at Bentley.
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Excalibur preview of RIT-Bentley;

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...-upset-happen/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Fantastic read heading into tonight:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/03/09/jar-pride/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                              Fantastic read heading into tonight:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/03/09/jar-pride/
                              That is a good read! I am looking forward to an interesting weekend. RIT knows they need to fight for this.

Any idea how many Bentley fans will be at Ritter?
                              Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                              College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                              Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                              Men's Frozen Four 2010
                              Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                              Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Hizzah!!!!
                                Bentley University Hockey
                                On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Working...
                                X