Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

Will not be able make Friday night game because of surprise birthday party for 80 year old aunt in Dover, NH, the last family member standing from my parent's generation. But, I will be at the JAR on Saturday night. I am predicting 4 points in the AHA Pick 'Em thread, but even a split would provide me some satisfaction, as I am still mad at Niagara and Blaise MacDonald for ending my alma mater UNH's attempt for a return to the Frozen Four in March 2000 by humilating the Cats 4-1 in the first game of the regionals. UNH came their closest to a NC in Anaheim the year before, losing 3-2 to their hated rivals the Maine Black Bears 10+ minutes into OT. I am hoping that Komm continues his stellar play in net and that the Falcons get some puck luck, facilitated by their better knowledge of the irregularities of the boards in the JAR. Bentley sending buses again from campus to the JAR on Friday night with no basketball games on campus for competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Bentley sending buses again from campus to the JAR on Friday night with no basketball games on campus for competition.
      Great news! That means the crowd should be rocking like it was on opening night. The crowds have not dropped off the way we've expected; of course 250 people at the JAR can make it very loud.
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Tough pill to swallow if youre a Bentley fan tonight. Up 4-2 in this one and lose 6-4. Reminiscent of last year's collapses against Sacred Heart.

Links with stories already up. Broadcast and highlights up at Excalibur Sports Page:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...ntley-niagara/

http://bentleyfalcons.com/sports/mic...20111202v6tbrm
        http://www.purpleeagles.com/news/201...202115255.aspx

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

After Friday night's debacle, the Falcons played a much better game on Saturday night. Both goalies were great, denying many superb scoring chances by both teams. Bentley never gave up after coughing up two quick goals mid way through the second to relinquish their first period 1-0 lead, and evened up the score with a PPG 12 minutes into the third. Bentley had two more back-to-back PP opportunities late in the third, but their two PP units seemed too gassed to capitalize. Then, Bentley was awarded a penalty shot with 2 seconds remaining in the game; Gensler, who had assists on both goals, was given the puck as the call was for delay of game, but he could not get it by Noonan. The Falcons came back to dominate in OT by getting a boost during the first two minutes on the PP and tallied 5 shots on net to only 1 by Niagara, before settling for 1 point on the weekend.

Despite only picking up 3 points so far in six games against the western AHA teams, I think that this year's team is less likely to collapse in the second half as in recent seasons. All four lines got close to equal minutes tonight and my only suggestion for the coaching staff would be to roll all of them on the PP late in games when other teams are typically more spent than the Falcons. We really need the 2 points against the UConn Huskies next Friday night.

Not as many Bentley fans at the JAR on Saturday night as the night before, as apparently there was some event back on campus. However, the students who did show were loud and into the game right to the end; no one sauntering out before the game ended tonight.
          Last edited by Snively65; 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Despite not picking up any points with Bentley's loss and tie this past weekend, I held onto a tie for first in the AHA Pick 'Em thread. I am of course voting for Bentley over UConn on Thursday (whoops, should be Friday) night, a game that I cannot attend because of a class (whoops, annual party) conflict. Bentley must stay out of the box, as the Falcons' PK is not good and Connecticut has the fourth best PP in Div 1. Bentley also needs to increase its goal production as Komm, who is tied for fifth in Div 1 for GAA, will not be able win this one by himself.
            Last edited by Snively65; 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Couple of links worth reading from Excalibur... one's the weekly report card, the other is an article I saw this evening on it.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...ped-the-shark/

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...weeks-7-and-8/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Some stats in the wake of the Bentley win over UConn this week:

Bentley goes into the break at 5-8-3. In 2008-2009 when they won 19 games, they had won an OOC game against RPI, but they played markedly worse OOC games (Colgate and the shellacking at Ohio State) and went into break 6-8-1. They went into the semester break at 5-4-1 in conference play. This year, they are 5-3-2, which makes them actually better than that year's team.

That year's team lost five in a row, including the Ohio State games and back-to-back games with RIT. Following those games, they won 9 out of 11 and 5 in a row. This Bentley team has a schedule that can probably line up the same type of winning streak with weaker opponent games.

That year, Bentley's top line featured 3 seniors. This year, Bentley's top line features two freshmen (Switzer, Kubiak, along with either Gensler or Nudy).

That year, Bentley's best goalie was a sophomore. This year, Bentley's best goalie is a sophomore.

Kyle Rank was on the 08-09 team, and started some of the games alongside Calvi.

That year' Bentley gave up 8 goals to Air Force at the beginning of the year nad had to play them again later int he year....where they lost to them at the last second after holding a 4-1 lead in the 2nd period. This year, Bentley will play Air Force, but they do NOT have to play Mercyhurst or Niagara the rest of the way.

This year's Bentley team has 11 games left down the stretch against teams in the lower tier of the league, including Army, AIC, Sacred Heart, and UConn. They also have 3 games left against Holy Cross, which is usually a toss up.

In order to play at home in the playoffs, Bentley only has to finish 8th or better. They are currently 4th, which would give them a first round bye.

Their next game is January 1 at Yale. Yale lost to Brown and Sacred Heart this year. Could they make it 3 lower-tier teams?

Some food for thought.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  Some stats in the wake of the Bentley win over UConn this week:

Bentley goes into the break at 5-8-3. In 2008-2009 when they won 19 games, they had won an OOC game against RPI, but they played markedly worse OOC games (Colgate and the shellacking at Ohio State) and went into break 6-8-1. They went into the semester break at 5-4-1 in conference play. This year, they are 5-3-2, which makes them actually better than that year's team.

That year's team lost five in a row, including the Ohio State games and back-to-back games with RIT. Following those games, they won 9 out of 11 and 5 in a row. This Bentley team has a schedule that can probably line up the same type of winning streak with weaker opponent games.

That year, Bentley's top line featured 3 seniors. This year, Bentley's top line features two freshmen (Switzer, Kubiak, along with either Gensler or Nudy).

That year, Bentley's best goalie was a sophomore. This year, Bentley's best goalie is a sophomore.

Kyle Rank was on the 08-09 team, and started some of the games alongside Calvi.

That year' Bentley gave up 8 goals to Air Force at the beginning of the year nad had to play them again later int he year....where they lost to them at the last second after holding a 4-1 lead in the 2nd period. This year, Bentley will play Air Force, but they do NOT have to play Mercyhurst or Niagara the rest of the way.

This year's Bentley team has 11 games left down the stretch against teams in the lower tier of the league, including Army, AIC, Sacred Heart, and UConn. They also have 3 games left against Holy Cross, which is usually a toss up.

In order to play at home in the playoffs, Bentley only has to finish 8th or better. They are currently 4th, which would give them a first round bye.

Their next game is January 1 at Yale. Yale lost to Brown and Sacred Heart this year. Could they make it 3 lower-tier teams?

Some food for thought.
                  Good stuff, Humanoid.

I liked this year's Bentley team from the get go when I watched them in Ann Arbor take the Wolverines to the final minutes both nights. Sorry that I could not get to Storrs tonight, but looking forward to attending their next game in New Haven to begin the New Year.

Go Falcons!

Comment

Am I the only one who agrees with the commenter on Lerch's column that all he ever does is write about RIT? It's kind of obnoxious that NOBODY ever seems to get top billing and coverage. His Atlantic Hockey column has been totally one-sided to be the RIT-fest. I can't wait for Bentley to host them so maybe we can get some decent coverage from USCHO.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                      Am I the only one who agrees with the commenter on Lerch's column that all he ever does is write about RIT? It's kind of obnoxious that NOBODY ever seems to get top billing and coverage. His Atlantic Hockey column has been totally one-sided to be the RIT-fest. I can't wait for Bentley to host them so maybe we can get some decent coverage from USCHO.
                      Indeed. I will be out of the country for RIT's visit, but I will be back in time for Holy Cross on the 24th. Also, will travel to New Haven for Yale on New Year's Day and will catch Bobby Mo's first game at the JAR on the 6th. Will be at Fenway Park on the 7th, so will miss game 2. I am really psyched for the second half of the season this year.

Comment

Indeed. I will be out of the country for RIT's visit, but I will be back in time for Holy Cross on the 24th. Also, will travel to New Haven for Yale on New Year's Day and will catch Bobby Mo's first game at the JAR on the 6th. Will be at Fenway Park on the 7th, so will miss game 2. I am really psyched for the second half of the season this year.
                        The coaching staff has done a great job in terms of recruiting to the point where this team could seriously be contenders for the AHA crown this year with a strong second half. The best part of that is that with the amount of freshmen and sophomores, the possibilities are really there for Bentley to be competing at the national level sooner rather than later. I can't wait to hear about how they do against Yale; I won't be making the trip because if I do, a certain Mrs. Humanoid will have my head on a silver platter. Will hopefully be making some road trips down the stretch, including Holy Cross and possibly UConn. I'll hopefully head out to West Point too since I've always wanted to see the campus and live action there somehow.

Enjoy the holidays, best of wishes to you and yours, and we'll see you in a week or two!

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Excalibur Sports has a talk with Jamie Nudy, Mike Switzer, and Brandon Komm up at the link below. Very candid talk from three of the team's players. Never heard anything like this for Bentley before. Just make sure to put dinner on slow cook; it's 45 minutes or so.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...od-and-hockey/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

After watching my alma mater Wildcats get humilated on their home ice by the Brown Bears on Friday night, I am looking forward to visiting the storied Ingalls Rink for my first time on Sunday. Go Falcons!

Comment

After watching my alma mater Wildcats get humilated on their home ice by the Brown Bears on Friday night, I am looking forward to visiting the storied Ingalls Rink for my first time on Sunday. Go Falcons!
                              Storied? If you wanna call three years history...

Comment

Originally posted by rjohntute View Post
                                Storied? If you wanna call three years history...
                                Have you ever been to the JAR? Ingalls Rink is a gorgeous outlet in comparison, and we consider it much more historic than any of the places we usually skate at.

The team is so juiced up for this game tomorrow that I think it's going to be such a fun game to watch. Yale is desperately trying to hold onto .500 and stay afloat in the Top 20 so they can remain a run away from becoming a bubble team; right now they're almost assuredly out of the tournament. For Bentley, it's a great way to get back into the swing for Robert Morris. Yale provided the only win of the season so far to Sacred Heart...there is no way they could lose to Bentley and be considered a team that would be ready to bid back into the tournament.

They're down this year, and in my personal opinion, their head coach is a little bit of a jerk bag (seriously.... I don't get how Yale people can say Allain is a great guy when everything I hear is that he's a very mean spirited and nasty person). That typ eof scenario always gets Bentley up. Espeically if its a sell out and the place is rocking.

Snively... I too was at that game last night (although I was there in support of Brown). It thought it was a magnificent game

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                                X