Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

It would've been very nice to get a win this weekend, but I'll take a tie against Clarkson. Karpowich was fighting the puck badly in the first period and Bentley capitalized. Again, though, they were undone by a string of a bad 2-3 minutes that really sunk them with a penalty and a bad call, followed by a laser beam goal.

Crowd was decent but substantially less than the Friday night game. This was arguably due to a halloween gathering on campus at the Dana Center and the weather - it was nasty by opening faceoff and the snow was falling steadily after the game.

Clarkson brought their usual turnout and Bentley's side was maybe 60% full...a solid 500-600 people in the stands by my estimates but nothing like the 1,000 there the other night.

I will say this - and i know I'll take heat for this; I very rarely accost other teams' fans on our board, and I try to keep it clean and upbeat, since that's the take we have as a young program without the tradition or die-hard following of other programs. But the attitude of the Clarkson fans in attendance was absolutely abhorrent. They would yell things on offsides calls like, "Hey 11 (Nudy), that's what we call a blue LINE!" and things of that nature.

I'm not saying Bentley fans are angels; the other night proved far from it. But there's a difference between a guy in a green man suit banging on the boards or the way the Bentley crowd was running around partying in the stands versus yelling at a player who is about 25 years younger than the fan. I understand how it works; you're passionate and I'm sure I'd love to the following Clarkson has. But there has to be some behavioral protocol in place.

There were 4-5 other examples I"ll leave off since I don't want to make this a whine-fest.

Great job by the team to rally back from down 2-1 yesterday.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
      Thanks for posting that, I had been trying to see what the gold jerseys look like (not a fan), I also still can never figure out 13 years after matriculating what the school's colors are? Are we royal blue (Most sports) or navy blue (hockey) and white/gold? Always found it curious that a business school doesn't put value in creating an identity (an example of this is that while I was there, the school store sold only navy blue items, while the athletic teams wore royal blue).

Mini color rant aside, nice to see them get a result against Clarkson, even if it was just a tie, they seem to be much more competitive with the big conference teams than in past seasons, hopefully it carries over to AHA.

Comment

Broadcast for Bentley this weekend was down due to technical difficulties. Logged onto the web this morning and did a search and found a few writeups from this past weekend. Also, although there was no video from the broadcast, Bentley's sports info has partnered with Excalibur Sports to post at least the audio. They knew during the broadcast that it wasn't available. A little punchy but I guess that's expected.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...9905/-1/sports
        http://www.wickedlocal.com/waltham/m...#axzz1cMjy8IQ1
        http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...available-now/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Bentley2, we have actually played OOC as well as any AHA team, logging a bunch of upsets the past few seasons. Our problem has been building on that against our AHA opponents.

Humanoid, I actually do not think that Jamie Nudy and our guys mind those taunts as it fires them up. But, one of the Clarkson guys in the PB was getting really upset with the Bentley green man taunting him, which I found amusing.

Melissa, many thanks for posting the photos; you do great work. Thanks for visiting the JAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Bentley2, we have actually played OOC as well as any AHA team, logging a bunch of upsets the past few seasons. Our problem has been building on that against our AHA opponents.
            You're absolutely right about that, completely blanked because I was stuck in an airport all day yesterday, I think maybe the Michigan series at Yost altered my perception a bit. They definitely need to build on that going into AHA unlike in past seasons (probably what I meant to say). Disappointed that other commitments kept me from Michigan, Amherst, and the Clarkson series this year.

Comment

Quote: "Thanks to shuttle buses provided by the University, the Falcons were supported by a large student turnout."

79 photos and not one of said crowd....
              Bentley University Hockey
              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

The grades from Excalibur Sports for the weekend are up online..

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...t-card-week-4/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                  Quote: "Thanks to shuttle buses provided by the University, the Falcons were supported by a large student turnout."

I shoot from the penalty box when at Bentley. Can't get a good shot up & through the glass and it wouldn't look full if I took it between periods.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                  HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                  HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post

I did not have my camera, but Humanoid is correct that it was a full house, unlike anything I had ever seen at the JAR. And, loud, even if most Bentley students did not have much of a clue about icing, offsides, and other nuances of the game.

At this time last year, we had one more win (against Northeastern), along with a win over Sacred Heart and a tie at Clarkson, like this season. Then, we lost two at Niagara, before winning three of four against UConn, Holy Cross and Canisius (a loss, then a win at the JAR). Then, the roof fell in, as we did not win again until January 22nd vs Mercyhurst at home. Nine OTs last season, with six ending in ties, one win, two losses. One positive about last season and so far this season is that we have not been getting blown out of games. Good goal tending and defense have kept most games close. Our PP play now stands at about 17% with 5 goals, against some tough competition and two superb goalies in Hunwick and Karpowich; cannot let that slip. I am predicting a sweep at Canisius this weekend.

Comment

I did not have my camera, but Humanoid is correct that it was a full house, unlike anything I had ever seen at the JAR. And, loud, even if most Bentley students did not have much of a clue about icing, offsides, and other nuances of the game. ...
                      Actually he was quoting me re: the turnout - I made sure to include those words since I wasn't able to get a shot showing the crowd. If I had shot directly behind me, it would have been the dance team and they were using about 3 'seats' per person (at least when I looked back) so it would have given a low turnout impression.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Nice work on Saturday night, Falcons!

Comment

Judging from the way things went this weekend, Bentley will ride Brandon Komm as GK1 the rest of the way. I anticipate the coachign staff keeping him honest by spot-starting Rank, but Komm, barring injury, will develop into something special. Looking at the youngsters, if they all develop according to plan, the coaching staff really did a fantastic job recruiting.

Looking forward to AIC.

Around the web for links on Bentley hockey:
                          http://www.wickedlocal.com/waltham/m...#axzz1d53gbSfD
                          http://www.wickedlocal.com/waltham/m...#axzz1d53gbSfD

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

AHA Wrapup from College Hockey News along with the Weekend Review from Excalibur Sports up today. Bentley report card from Excal still to come:

http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/2011/11/aha-wrap-up/
                            http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...kend-review-2/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

The Excalibur weekend report card is up.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...card-week-5-2/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I am predicting a sweep at Canisius this weekend.
                                Ok, I am predicting four points for the Falcons again this weekend. Bentley students getting free t-shirts for attending AIC game at the JAR on Friday night, so hoping for a big crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X