X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXI

Originally posted by bigbossman View Post
    i’ve got two words for you and your frat brother.
    I love this guy
    Originally posted by vizoroo
    Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
    Originally posted by duper
    I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
    Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
    Originally posted by dggoddard
    Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
      Sure, there are idiots who go too far. But unless there was something going on outside the boundaries of the message boards, I have a hard time believing that Swami is one of them.

I come to a different conclusion. Swami got into a physical confrontation with the family of a DU player.

That would be a great screen for Swami’s reincarnation though - AnIdiotGoneTooFar.
      Last edited by BigBossMan; 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        From what I understand, it's not necessarily what he had been publicly posting on the internet -- there have been rumblings, and discontent for years regarding certain other things. I believe the public postings were just the tipping point.

I will say that any threats thrown his way were definitely uncalled for and I really don't know about that drama which occurred.
        Frankly, Chris, it sounds like you're describing "double secret probation." Goonery by anyone, fans, parents, players, USCHO posters is not in the DU tradition and should be condemned, period. "Rumblings and discontent?" Sounds like more of those unnamed DU "administrators", whose opinions generally don't amount to a fart in a whirlwind to me.

We need to know what "these certain other things" are in order to intelligently comment on this matter.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 09-26-2011, 07:05 PM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

With respect,you and whatever rabbit eared players you're describing should grow up. I spent my freshman year at Illinois (back in the days before electricity) and the Illini quarterback for much of that Rose Bowl championship season was a guy named Mike Talliaferro. Mike's performances were occasionally, uh, uneven. And in the fraternity house we would respond with "P*ss on Mike Talliaferro" days. This involved putting his picture down at the bottom of the urinals and, well, you know. Never heard a word from the several starters who lived in the house.

Joe Hockey as you refer to him, is a journalist who has reported on DU hockey for the Clarion and traveled the world reporting on hockey primarily. But even if he didn't have those bona fides, as a DU grad and American, he has an absolute right to his opinion. I'm not aware of Swami "coming up to" players to "comment on their game or lack thereof." In fact, that's totally inconsistent with the guy I know. I don't recognize a guy who would approach a parent in Magness and suggest how much his kid sucks. And unless we can go to the videotape, I absolutley don't believe he ever did that to a player. There may be some players, more likely helicopter parents, who have confronted HIM over those opinions. They should all grow up. And if the postings of one middle aged guy are so unnerving, they should look to play for Plattsburgh, State or anywhere else where "seldom is heard a discouraging word." This is unnaceptable behavior. They don't have to read his or anyone's posts. And if they do and they don't like what they see, they're free to respond to correct the record. But physical confrontations are more the stuff of Miami or Oklahoma football, not DU hockey. And there is no excuse for it, period.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 09-26-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
            I get that. But Swami (and the rest of the regular posters on this board) never say anything too personal about the kids that would cause any controversy. Swami occasionally gave mid-season grades to players. But even then, they were well-reasoned, and he often gave "incompletes" rather than actual grades when a non-marquee player was underperforming. Sure, there are idiots who go too far. But unless there was something going on outside the boundaries of the message boards, I have a hard time believing that Swami is one of them.
            Nothing Swami ever said could reasonably be interpreted as "personal." No name calling. No references to personal deficiencies. No mention of anything in players' personal lives, ever. Just analysis. Sometimes analysis which seemed to leave room for improvement. But never with insinuations or accusations. And always with hopes of a positive outcome. I don't know what's worse: angry (almost certainly drunken) confrontations with a guy just expressing his opinion or people defending those confrontations. Before I give any credence whatsover to these allegations, I'm gonna need some facts. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge doesn't get it for me.

Plus, the people who post here are DU fanatics. And if it turned out one of us was crossing the line, we would shun him, big time. It would be difficult to keep those "high crimes and misdemeanors" out of these boards.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 09-26-2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
              5 days and counting

Add my 2cents on Swami: I miss his posts!
              Last season is over. Fans are entitled to have opinions without fear of threats. Can't we begin the new season with all hands on board and agree to support our team?
              Even though I'm the one who started it, I agree. I almost didn't put up my post. But what happened to Swami is a wrong I felt had to be addressed. What happened to Swami is inconsistent with the image (and reality) of DU hockey: players who are good students and citizens. coaches who are interested in the development of players beyond just on the ice. And fans who recognize the hard work and dedication all hands make to this effort every year.

And it's been that way as long as I can remember. When a player who had a decent NHL career ahead of him roughed up an usher at the DU Arena, Murray Armstrong launched him into low earth orbit. "We don't do that stuff here, son."

Former NBA coach Bill Fitch got his start at UND. And he told me about teaching a beginning ice skating course, in which the entire Sioux team was enrolled. D-1 hockey players getting academic credit for being able to skate? I'll leave that kind of nonsense for them. BTW, Bill also modestly used to take credit for a Sioux NC. He said in that ice skaking class he used to explain and diagram the similarities between the PP and the fast break. To get an A if I were teaching that course, those clowns would have to perform a quadruple Lutz.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 09-26-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                You and whatever rabbit eared players you're describing should grow up. I spent my freshman year at Illinois (back in the days before electricity) and the Illini quarterback for much of that Rose Bowl championship season was a guy named Mike Talliaferro. Mike's performances were occasionally, uh, uneven. And in the fraternity house we would respond with "P*ss on Mike Talliaferro" days. This involved putting his picture down at the bottom of the urinals and, well, you know.
                I’m certainly not recommending a pee on Swami day or anything of that sort. You’ve made your Illini frat brothers sound rather backward and disgusting. Shame on you.

Comment

Having met Swami only a handful of times, I can't claim to know him well. Oddly, when I have run into him, we have sometimes talked about a mutual acquaintance who has very little to do with DU hockey as much as about DU hockey. And anyone who has read All Things Denver since 14ers started it up knows that Old Pio and I have been known to, shall we say, see things from a different vantage point from time to time. I distinctly recall a situation which was actually about a poster from another fanbase in which Pio and Chris had rather harsh words for me, and I for them. Swami stepped in the middle and wrote a very long post detailing a bunch of reasons why none of us should be questioning the loyalty of the others. I especially felt that was a nice thing, because I am the one among the three who is the least known and least respected as a long-time DU fan.

Given all of this, I find it very difficult to believe that Swami overstepped his bounds as a fan. And Old Pio, thank you for bringing it up. Swami, I do hope that you still lurk and read the board, because it would be a shame for you to feel that your fellow DU alumni and fans don't miss your input. In any case, I hope to run into Swami at a game this season and speak to him in person. He is missed from these boards, and if you pay attention, you will see fans of other teams wondering what became of him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    Having met Swami only a handful of times, I can't claim to know him well. Oddly, when I have run into him, we have sometimes talked about a mutual acquaintance who has very little to do with DU hockey as much as about DU hockey. And anyone who has read All Things Denver since 14ers started it up knows that Old Pio and I have been known to, shall we say, see things from a different vantage point from time to time. I distinctly recall a situation which was actually about a poster from another fanbase in which Pio and Chris had rather harsh words for me, and I for them. Swami stepped in the middle and wrote a very long post detailing a bunch of reasons why none of us should be questioning the loyalty of the others. I especially felt that was a nice thing, because I am the one among the three who is the least known and least respected as a long-time DU fan.

Given all of this, I find it very difficult to believe that Swami overstepped his bounds as a fan. And Old Pio, thank you for bringing it up. Swami, I do hope that you still lurk and read the board, because it would be a shame for you to feel that your fellow DU alumni and fans don't miss your input. In any case, I hope to run into Swami at a game this season and speak to him in person. He is missed from these boards, and if you pay attention, you will see fans of other teams wondering what became of him as well.

Comment

with a bunch of old-time soaps being pulled off the air it's good to know I can recommend the du thread to my grandmother now...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        with a bunch of old-time soaps being pulled off the air it's good to know I can recommend the du thread to my grandmother now...
                        OK, that was funny, I'm glad I had just swallowed my coffee! Now back to the topic at hand. I was about to open a new thread called "The official bring back Puck Swami" thread, because I figured our rival posters miss him too. That said, I think it would be wise to keep this campaign among us, who knows what kind of negative trolls would show up!! So let the campaign begin, let's get him back. Convince him on this board, send in the marines , contact influential people, bake him some cookies!! Do what you have to do!!

The Official "Bring Back Puck Swami Campaign" begins here!!
                        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Trotter sent to Hamilton by the Habs.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=590034
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

4 days and counting

Matt Carle news:

Judd Apatow movie features 4 Flyers including our own Matt Carle. Expected release date December 2012
                            http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=587255

Modano's retirement brought forth these 2 Tweets from Matt.
                            Unfortunately had the pleasure of chasing down @9modano when he became the US all-time leading scorer...thanks for paving the way #USA #HOF
                            21 Sep
                            Sucked at the time giving up the goal...but something I'll never forget now #gotmesmerizedbythejerseyflapping @9modano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az--g...e_gdata_player
                            21 Sep

And finally from a local, oddly named Philly blog:
                            http://nakedphiladelphian.blogspot.c...hl-player.html
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Check out Siouxs23's new site for more preseason thoughts.
                              http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/W...-Rankings.html
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                The Official "Bring Back Puck Swami Campaign" begins here!!
                                We can kick it off with Pee On Swami Day and wrap it up with a punch your favorite player’s grandma contest.

Comment

Working...
                                X