Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conference Realignment needed for 2012-13 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conference Realignment needed for 2012-13 season?

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    OK ... so 10 minutes of thinking about it results in ...

RWHA (Real West Hockey Association)
    UAA
    UAF
    Denver
    CC
    UND
    UAH
    This would work because of several factors. These schools all already fly well. There is an ability to schedule additional non-conference games at home for each team due to the exemptions from playing in Alaska (meaning as much as 22 games on the home schedule for UND, DU, CC and 14 on the road). A guaranteed good gross from the yearly RWHA conference tournament at the 11,000+ seat Ralph (many configurations possible there with UND getting all the "sweet" night games).

UAA and UAF subsidize all travel for all members. Cooperative scheduling for Alaska trips ... i.e ... Sunday/Monday games at one school then Thursday/Friday games at the other .. teams would travel on Friday and return home on Saturday. Both UAA and UAF currently stay in the lower 48 for consecutive series at least once per year and both sets of student/athletes perform well in the classroom (technology also makes this very workable).

WCHA
    UMD
    UNO
    SCSU
    Mankato
    Bemidji
    MTU
    This works because it eliminates pretty much all flights for the Minnesota schools and they maintain all their instate rivalries. They keep the pretty MTU Cup and can host their conference tournament at any number of rinks in the Minnesota (Xcel or Target for example depending on demand) area with lots of seats which would generate a nice tournament revenue. In-State fan interest would be maintained.

CCHA
    Miami
    Notre Dame
    Ferris St.
    Northern Mich.
    Lake State
    BGSU
    Western
    This works because it already works now. Michigan and Michigan State were not some huge cash cow for these programs anyway. It's almost a maintains the status quo solution. One may argue that there is a revenue decrease from the Big10 schools departure but what can you do? Everyone has that issue. With 7 schools this conference has some small amount of breathing room should one go TU. And none of these whiners has to go to Alaska or Alabama.

Other good reasons ...
    3 auto-bids that 20 schools compete for versus 2.
    Maintains geographic integrity.
    Saves UAH.
    Maintains and enhances "ACTUAL" rivalries.
    Keeps most of the schools that moan about travel to Alaska from "having" to go.

Reasons it wouldn't work ...
    DU thinks they're something they aren't.
    DU is skerred to play other "real" western teams.
    DU thinks they can tell CC what to do

Why so much disdain for the Pioneers? Covered wagons never even made it to your state.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      In that vein, any of the 3 of these divisions (west, Minnesota, and east) could be the 7-team member. I still don't see UAA and UAF being allowed to play with each other, so I think if one would be seven and people really wanna see NMU and MTU together, have them move to the central, (unfortunately) send UND west and give the MN division one of the Alaska teams, and it really doesn't matter which.
      I don't see it either; I'm merely playing along with the strategies.

Plus, why woudl the realignment be needed for 2012-2013? I thought Penn State was independent in that season, and then forming Big Ten the next year.

Comment

I still don't see UAA and UAF being allowed to play with each other, ...
        Allowed? .... Really? Wait Whut? -- ROFLMAO

Comment

Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
          Why so much disdain for the Pioneers?
          Their pomposity.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Plus, why woudl the realignment be needed for 2012-2013?
            Agreed ... It woudln't.

Comment

Seriously... I didn't even see the word "allowed" the first time I read through it... those Governor's Cup matches must have been forfeits.

Comment

Hey tool, wanna pull yourself off the floor and explain what's so funny?
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Hey tool, wanna pull yourself off the floor and explain what's so funny?
                  Hey dummy, no; because that request makes it even funnier.

Comment

Hey dummy, no; because that request makes it even funnier.
                    Fair enough. And dummy? I'd ask if we're still in 4th grade, but I suppose, in Sarah Palin's neck of the woods, that's probably a good insult. Well played sir, well played.
                    Last edited by SCSU Euro; 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Fair enough. And dummy? I'd ask if we're still in 4th grade, but I suppose, in Sarah Palin's neck of the woods, that's probably a good insult. Well played sir, well played.
                      I usually adhere to a policy of returning an equivalent level insult on the first round. Since you chose to initiate the insulting at that low level (tool), I merely responded in kind. Had you chosen a direct escalation, then my posting policy would have forced me to virtually annihilate you due to my "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" clause.

So yah .. you betcha; the irony of a supporter of St. Cloud (who's district is represented in the US Congress by Michelle Bachmann) making a Sarah Palin crack isn't lost on me.

Comment

Their pomposity.
                        Everyone wishes they could be us, even the Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Czech View Post
                          Everyone wishes they could be us, even the Gophers.
                          Like the Big Ten?
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

So yah .. you betcha; the irony of a supporter of St. Cloud (who's district is represented in the US Congress by Michelle Bachmann) making a Sarah Palin crack isn't lost on me.
                            I went to SCSU, I'm not from St. Cloud. I'm from Europe and in this country I'm seen as a tree-huggin' hippie. My problem with the Democratic party is they're too conservative. And I miss a lot about the town of St. Cloud, but nothing more than voting agains that crazy *****.

Comment

And I wasn't suggesting CALLING it the New England division, just pointing out where everyone is.
                              This likewise is my biggest problem with your plan. New England consists of 6 states, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island and Connecticut. None of these states are New York or New Jersey. I suggest calling it the "New Division" for New England, New York and New Jersey.
                              #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                                This likewise is my biggest problem with your plan. New England consists of 6 states, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island and Connecticut. None of these states are New York or New Jersey. I suggest calling it the "New Division" for New England, New York and New Jersey.
                                I just meant geographically, but I thought New York was a part of New England. Obviously I know a lot more about Old England than New England. How about these names:

CHI, DET, GB, MIN = Midwest
                                ATL, JAX, MIA, TB = Southeast
                                OAK, SD, SEA, SF = Pacific
                                ARI, DAL, HOUS, NO = South
                                DEN, IND, KC, STL = Central
                                NE, NYG, NYJ, PHI = Northeast
                                BAL, CAR, TEN, WAS = Atlantic
                                BUF (TOR), CIN, CLE, PIT = Rust Belt

Comment

Working...
                                X