Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Coach Search, Part II: Only We Would Need a Second Thread

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Supposedly, Suzanne got in touch with a lot of hockey alumni and got all (or nearly all) of them to chip in quite a bit.
    Man, Rick was our AD for way to f-ing long.
    "Michigan Tech is to NCAA Hockey, what the Original Six is to the NHL" - Ryan Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by GOAGG View Post
      Johnson=>OHL
      It appeared to me Johnson's interest in the OHL peaked after the bigger name candidates (Pearson/Hastings/Blaise) turned down MTU and the less experienced candidates started being interviewed. My guess is with Pearson now in, and likely some quality assistants, he strongly considers MTU. Pearson also has his eye on Jacques.

Comment

Originally posted by 626575NC View Post
        Man, Rick was our AD for way to f-ing long.
        This...is an understatement.

Comment

“No, I had no idea,” Vinik said when asked if he thought the Lightning would win this big this soon after he took ownership of the franchise. “But you know what, these guys have fought hard all year, and I think (general manager) Steve Yzerman and (coach) Guy (Boucher) have done a great job here.

“So nothing shocks me about these guys. I mean, they’re doing a great job here and it’s fun and exciting for everyone and fortunately we hired good people and this is what happens when you do that.”
          Give Sanregret credit for not giving up on Pearson; it's what she needed to do.
          Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 05-07-2011, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Pros are different than college. I don't expect Mel to deliver an NCAA appearance in his first season (though it would certainly be nice).

Even Mel himself has allegedly been realistic - 4-5 years to be playing .500 hockey. Perhaps playing it a little conservative, but certainly not off the mark given our lack of depth at defense.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
              It appeared to me Johnson's interest in the OHL peaked after the bigger name candidates (Pearson/Hastings/Blaise) turned down MTU and the less experienced candidates started being interviewed.
              Ben Johnson should not consider the OHL look at a former Calumet player Chris Cygan played three years in the OHL and never made it further.

Ben should go the college route, have time to develop, and close to home. Consider MTU since he was considering UM.
              Last edited by yooper(UP) hockey; 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                Give Sanregret credit for not giving up on Pearson; it's what she needed to do.
                Agree 100%. it would have been easy to just go with the flow, but she put in the time to get the right guy. Having a young coach or even an up and coming young coach might not have gotten the job done long term. We had to have the program turned around fairly quickly. And yes wayyyyy better than rick. Suzanne is a tough cookie.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Pros are different than college. I don't expect Mel to deliver an NCAA appearance in his first season (though it would certainly be nice).

Even Mel himself has allegedly been realistic - 4-5 years to be playing .500 hockey. Perhaps playing it a little conservative, but certainly not off the mark given our lack of depth at defense.
                  My point of emphasis (hence the bold) was that it's critical to hire good people for good things to happen and in no way comparing the states of the two teams. The one other comparison I will make is between Yzerman and Pearson in that they both brought/bring instant credibility and respect to their respective organizations which has a significant impact in attracting both coaches (head or assistant) and players.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Agree 100%. it would have been easy to just go with the flow, but she put in the time to get the right guy. Having a young coach or even an up and coming young coach might not have gotten the job done long term. We had to have the program turned around fairly quickly. And yes wayyyyy better than rick. Suzanne is a tough cookie.
                    There are no guarantees with even Pearson but in my opinion even if the expected success is not seen, she will not be faulted for putting her best foot forward.

Comment

All, Celebrate this morning, the quality of hockey player coming to Tech is going to be enhanced. The BI6 conference has only so many spots, we are now finally going to get some of the top end talent and that can only help the situation at Tech.

I was really surprised at the news yesterday, but very excited.

Good job MTU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If Pearson is half as successful as Suzanne's last head coaching hire I'll be thrilled. I know, apples and oranges, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                          If Pearson is half as successful as Suzanne's last head coaching hire I'll be thrilled. I know, apples and oranges, but still...
                          Me too.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

"It’s not Michigan, it’s not Wisconsin, it’s not the Big Ten," Pearson said. "There’s a number of Division I players who would love to play at a place like Michigan Tech. Your recruiting strategy has to be a little different, but you have to sell what you have. Michigan Tech has things they can sell, like their tradition, a quality education, the unique setting. I think those are positives."

When I read this quote in the Free Press article, I immediately knew that we hired the right guy and that Mel will be a successful recruiter. Bravo!!!
                            "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                            Abe Lincoln

Comment

In some ways, the recruiting has gotten easier since Mel was a student and assistant at Tech. There are many more eligible women around campus, Tech does a pretty good job of bringing in bands and other entertainment, the number of non-engineering majors has gone way up (if not easy A's, they're usually less time-intensive), and from what I understand the facilities easily meet the expectations of a modern D-1 hockey team. The staff is a big question mark, but as long as Mel can reasonably hire his own assistants and trainers - possibly including current staffers like Damon, Randy and Dieter, but preferably NOT Kyle - getting good players to consider Tech should be a non-issue.
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

On the surface, the MacInnes obviously doesn't have the glitz and glam of, say, the Ralph. But how many other NCAA rinks compare to that? None, really. What's most important is the facilities underneath the stands, and the school has spent much of the last decade getting those up to par with the vast majority of the NCAA. Plus, with the updates over the past three years, with more changes likely to come in the next 3-5 (new scoreboard, etc), the public part of the rink is now following suit.

Mel should pretty much get free reign in terms of hiring his staff, since we all but begged him to take the job in the first place (regardless of the "interviews" and "visits" that occurred, we all know that it was pretty much Tech doing the selling). I'm sure he already knows some quality candidates who want to work with him, it's just a matter of who's willing to potentially uproot their family and live in Houghton to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X