Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Coach Search, Part II: Only We Would Need a Second Thread

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    On the surface, the MacInnes obviously doesn't have the glitz and glam of, say, the Ralph. But how many other NCAA rinks compare to that? None, really. What's most important is the facilities underneath the stands, and the school has spent much of the last decade getting those up to par with the vast majority of the NCAA. Plus, with the updates over the past three years, with more changes likely to come in the next 3-5 (new scoreboard, etc), the public part of the rink is now following suit. Mel should pretty much get free reign in terms of hiring his staff, since we all but begged him to take the job in the first place (regardless of the "interviews" and "visits" that occurred, we all know that it was pretty much Tech doing the selling). I'm sure he already knows some quality candidates who want to work with him, it's just a matter of who's willing to potentially uproot their family and live in Houghton to do it.
    There is no college rink that compares to the Ralph though I heard the new UMD is supposed to be quite nice. I do not believe facilities are the issue at Tech based on many of the rinks I have seen. I believe the issue has been finding the right recruits. If they were able to bring in recruits to places like NMU and LSSU and win a NC then why not Tech?

Only part of Mel's interview I didn't care for was his comment about the great tradition. No question Mac was great but that was a long time ago. Maybe he only said it because of Alumni and the press and realizes he can't sell on that feature at least not at first. It was the reason I was against hiring an Alum as they needed a change, a shakeup. I truly believe the issue is that of the culture of losing and that is not easy to break. Hopefully Mel being at UM so long has enough drive and taste for winning that it will be infectious.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
      There is no college rink that compares to the Ralph though I heard the new UMD is supposed to be quite nice. I do not believe facilities are the issue at Tech based on many of the rinks I have seen. I believe the issue has been finding the right recruits. If they were able to bring in recruits to places like NMU and LSSU and win a NC then why not Tech?

Only part of Mel's interview I didn't care for was his comment about the great tradition. No question Mac was great but that was a long time ago. Maybe he only said it because of Alumni and the press and realizes he can't sell on that feature at least not at first. It was the reason I was against hiring an Alum as they needed a change, a shakeup. I truly believe the issue is that of the culture of losing and that is not easy to break. Hopefully Mel being at UM so long has enough drive and taste for winning that it will be infectious.
      BTW, I think that Yost is going to be replaced quite soon. ( If you believe David Brandon) and yes the new UMD arena is nice, but it's not on campus is it? I think that on campus rinks have a unique flavor and among them, I like the Mac.

I like what he said about recruiting, but you know I bet Russell said that too. What will get recruits in the door imho is his reputation with the rest of the world on the quality of hockey education the kid is going to get, after that its everything else. ( I think that hurt us with hauswirth and others as well)
      I don't think the culture will take too much time to change to tell the truth.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Mel should pretty much get free reign in terms of hiring his staff, since we all but begged him to take the job in the first place (regardless of the "interviews" and "visits" that occurred, we all know that it was pretty much Tech doing the selling). I'm sure he already knows some quality candidates who want to work with him, it's just a matter of who's willing to potentially uproot their family and live in Houghton to do it.
        I believe this to be key to the future. He better know somebody to be his right hand man ie Billy Powers..........

Comment

Working...
        X