Irish hockey: JACC we hardly knew ye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey: JACC we hardly knew ye

What I understand is that when the 11-team schedule was set up last year, it was agreed that Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State would be permanent clustermates, and the rest would rotate while still trying to keep regional rivalries intact.

So last year's clusters were
    Cluster A: Bowling Green, Lake Superior, Miami, Northern Michigan, Notre Dame, Western Michigan
    Cluster B: Alaska, Ferris State, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State
    Bowling Green/Western Michigan, Lake Superior/Notre Dame and Miami/Northern Michigan only played 1 series each.

This year, we have
    Cluster A: Lake Superior, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, Ohio State.
    Cluster B: Alaska, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Notre Dame, Western Michigan.
    Lake Superior/Michigan, Miami/Michigan State and Northern Michigan/Ohio State only play 1 series each.

Next year, if I had to guess, we would have
    Cluster A: Bowling Green, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Western Michigan
    Cluster B: Alaska, Ferris State, Lake Superior, Miami, Northern Michigan

I think that you will find that the rotation of games from year to year doesn't go as far as you would expect. Northern Michigan fans have constructed elaborate conspiracy theories around this, but I think it's just a certain lack of planning ahead on the part of the league. The 5-year period from 2002/03 to 2006/07 had a perfect rotation--every rivalry pair played each other 20 times (10 home, 10 away) and everybody played the 10 other teams other 12 times (6 home, 6 away). The 5-year period from 2007/08 to 2011/12 was supposed to have that exact same rotation, but Nebraska-Omaha's departure interrupted it. Unfortunately, you can't really get the same rotation out of 11 teams. There's no way to have a 5-year rotation (or a 3-year rotation) where every schedule is balanced. So this is what happens--Notre Dame ends up not playing in Munn Arena over a 2-year period. It would take at least 9 years to even everything out, and the current schedule format won't last more than 3, so there is probably not much that can be done to improve things.

Sorry; I probably find this more interesting than it actually is to most of the people on this thread.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
      It would take at least 9 years to even everything out, and the current schedule format won't last more than 3, so there is probably not much that can be done to improve things.
      I remember hearing this but for some reason chose to ignore that fact (that will be moot in a few years anyway) and tried to figure the schedule out strictly fairly. Looking back over the last decade, FSU came here a heck of a lot more often than we visited Ewigleben and we played in Lawson a heck of a lot more often than WMU played in South Bend. Most of the others were fairly evenly split (Miami being the other exception, though not as drastic as the disparity with FSU or WMU).

For those interested thus far:

10/7-8 ND @ UMD
      10/14-15 this could be when NU visits
      10/21 RPI
      10/28-29 ND @ BG
      11/4-5 ND @ NMU
      11/11-12 ND - UA(F)
      11/18 ND - BC (dedication of CFC)
      11/25-26 ND @ LSSU
      12/2-3
      12/9-10
      12/31 ND - BU (I have heard this mentioned for the 30th also)
      1/7 ND @ Minny (HOF)
      1/13-14
      1/20-21
      1/27-28 ND @ UA(F)
      2/3-4 ND - BG
      2/10-11
      2/17-18 ND @ Miami
      2/24-25

ND also still has a game they can schedule since they have 3 exempt games. If they do play an OOC game, it could fit into the schedule in mid-December.

Only 4 and a half months.
      Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 05-19-2011, 10:07 PM.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

What I understand is that when the 11-team schedule was set up last year, it was agreed that Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State would be permanent clustermates, and the rest would rotate while still trying to keep regional rivalries intact.
        Being the suspicious sort that I am, this statement alone has me thinking someone knew way, way, WAY before the official announcement, that the Big 10 was forming a hockey conference. Sure makes it a lot easier to handle schedules when it will essentially be one entire cluster departing.
        Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        Courage to change the things I can,
        And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Sorry; I probably find this more interesting than it actually is to most of the people on this thread.
          No need to apologize. We're all geeks here.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
            Being the suspicious sort that I am, this statement alone has me thinking someone knew way, way, WAY before the official announcement, that the Big 10 was forming a hockey conference. Sure makes it a lot easier to handle schedules when it will essentially be one entire cluster departing.
            Alternatively, it was the CCHA's desperation bid to offer the Integer enough to avoid the raid.
            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
              Being the suspicious sort that I am, this statement alone has me thinking someone knew way, way, WAY before the official announcement, that the Big 10 was forming a hockey conference.
              To be blunt, everyone knew the moment Penn State announced that it was adding hockey that the Big Ten was forming a hockey conference. You couldn't say it on USCHO without being flamed to a crisp, but I can guarantee you that the 12 CCHA Athletic Directors all knew that it was an absolute inevitability.

I think Craig is right that it was a desperate attempt to hold the conference together and maybe draw Penn State in as well ("look, we have a ready-made cluster for you to join--2 guaranteed home games every year against UM, MSU and OSU"). It had another benefit as well: there are now 12 CCHA games a year involving 2 Big Ten teams that the Big Ten Network might be willing to pay the league a little bit of money to broadcast. I'm sure that had something to do with the league's athletic directors signing off on this cluster format.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                Alternatively, it was the CCHA's desperation bid to offer the Integer enough to avoid the raid.
                You are nicer than me, Doc.
                Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                Courage to change the things I can,
                And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Erik Condra and the Binghamton Senators meet Houston tonight for game one of the Calder Cup finals. Good luck to him!

Comment

Will Notre dame join Hockey East or become a Big Ten school? Hmmm... wonder if their TV contract is worth more than Big Ten revenue?

Comment

So basically here is Notre Dame's schedule. The only question marks are in italics, but they are not really questions as typically when playing 2 series with a team, it is expected that one series is in the first half and the other in the second half of the season, which explains why Western is where they are. I assume these will be home-and-home weekends, like the weekends with Ferris are. ND can play a 37th game, but they would have to schedule a mid-week game early in the season to fit it in. Ohio State can fit in on only three weekends: the two I have WMU listed in and the middle of December; thus, they are in the middle of December to allow for a more separated first half and second half meeting with our clustermate.

10/7-8 @ UMD
                      10/14-15 WMU
                      10/21 RPI
                      10/28-29 @ BG
                      11/4-5 @ NMU
                      11/11-12 UA(F)
                      11/18 BC (dedication of CFC)
                      11/25-26 @ LSSU
                      12/2-3 NU
                      12/9 @ FSU
                      12/10 FSU
                      12/16-17 OSU
                      12/31 BU
                      1/7 @ Minny (HOF)
                      1/13-14 WMU
                      1/20-21 UM
                      1/27-28 @ UA(F)
                      2/3-4 BG
                      2/10 FSU
                      2/11 @ FSU
                      2/17-18 @ Miami
                      2/24-25 MSU

18 weeks.
                      Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM. Reason: more info on schedules

Comment

T.J. Jindra is leaving for an assistant coaching position at UAA. It's a loss for ND hockey, but sounds like a good opportunity for him. I wish him all the best there.
                        http://www.uscho.com/2011/06/04/jind...ska-anchorage/

Comment

The RPI blog Without a Peer is doing a series of posts on all of RPI's opponents next season. This is the one about Notre Dame http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/06/...otre-dame.html.

I have no affiliation with the blog.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Congrats to Erik Condra and the B-Sens for the 2011 Calder Cup. Condra played in 23 post-season games, registering 17 points and going +10.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              Congrats to Erik Condra and the B-Sens for the 2011 Calder Cup. Condra played in 23 post-season games, registering 17 points and going +10.
                              I'm unhappy with the result (I'm an Aeros fan going back to their Turner Cup team in 1998-1999), but happy for Erik. He had a couple of good moments in the first period, but I didn't really see him involved much in play after that.
                              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                                Will Notre dame join Hockey East?

I think Notre Dame will join the Hockey East.

Comment

Working...
                                X