replied
    Re: Irish hockey: JACC we hardly knew ye

Well that sounds like we may come, but don't invite anyone else

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

https://www.ironmountaindailynews.co....html?nav=5006

"Notre Dame remains uncommitted to any conference at this time and is pressing for a smaller league that features a larger non-conference slate, according to multiple Mining Journal sources. The Irish are looking for a seven-team league with a 24-game conference schedule in order to fill the rest of their dates with meetings against fellow Bowl Championship Subdivision member Boston College and the Big Ten schools."

Leave a comment:

• redhawk95
    replied

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    Other than Notre Dame buying out MU when they were the original opponent scheduled to open the 1997 season (and then, as would be the case now, MU was simply looking for a payday game against a "BCS type" school, and they got that payday without even having to play the game) what has Notre Dame ever done to "screw over" Miami in either football or basketball? At the time we were only one coach removed from a legend, and the two decade long decline in Notre Dame football was not a recognized situation. We were opening a newly renovated stadium with 20,000 more seats and for many reasons thought Georgia Tech made for a more attractive game. While I didn't necessarily support the decision, that is the way NCAA football at that level has been played for decades. Miami knows this, and plays the game.
    I wasn't thinking specifically about that incident, but rather, that Notre Dame is a power school that makes their own rules (good for them) and profits from the joke that is the BCS. Lumping you in with the Big 10 folks is probably not entirely accurate, but from a big money standpoint, and the effects this had had on Miami? That's where I was going.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Christian Hanson signed a one-year contract with the Caps. Hope they know how to utilize him better than the Leafs.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
    The CCHA is no longer talking to us

I guess we can call next season's thread Irish hockey: CCHA we hardly knew ye.
    Oh no. I have a much better title. It's been in the works ever since the new arena got its name.

After letting all this sink in for a few days, I don't feel as bad. Mr. JJfP (who is a glass is definitely full kinda guy, whereas I'm a glass is laying shattered on the floor kinda gal) told me it might work out for the "little guys." If they form a league, get an autobid (and maybe something extra), it may mean survival. No offense intended, but BG had virtually no chance to make the tourney in the CCHA of the past with Miami, Michigan, MSU (usually), UA(F), WMU and (recently) ND. BSU probably stood no chance in the old version of the WCHA also (unlike their magical run while in the dying days of the CHA). Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Who knows?

I'm hoping soon we can start speculating on captains and all that jazz.

12 weeks until the first game situation. {doing a little happy dance}

Leave a comment:

• ND Hockey
    replied

The CCHA is no longer talking to us

Six of the CCHA's current 11 members spoke Friday following initial reports by the Grand Forks Herald and Mining Journal that Miami and the five WCHA schools led by North Dakota were set to break away. According to [NMU acting athletic director Steve] Reed, Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State were not involved in the conference call.
    I guess we can call next season's thread Irish hockey: CCHA we hardly knew ye.

Leave a comment:

• redeagle
    replied

I won't rehash what I wrote on the Miami thread (too much), but, JJfP, I'm more saddened than mad. (I also don't think ND ever screwed over Miami in other sports, but I get '95's point about others. I, for one, was happy to have ND come to Oxford twice for bball, and in a time when Miami could beat them. ) But back on topic, I am saddened. I fear we are losing what makes college hockey so great. I also believe Miami had to look at the options when they were approached, especially with ND almost certainly leaving the CCHA. I, for one, will be really sad if ND goes east and WMU does not get in the new conference. For me, the best outcome now is ND and WMU in the new league, otherwise I don't like it for either Miami or ND. But ND (and Miami) has earned the right to explore their options and do what they think is best. Now I'll go back to being sad.

Leave a comment:

• IrishHockeyFan
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    And what about my own hometown newspaper. They're too busy talking about recruits for ND FB...in 2012!
    The Tribune FINALLY chimed in today, for what it was worth. But the article is just a collection of news already reported by CHN, USCHO, and a handful of other newspapers in the regions of the affected schools. They did throw in a few comments made by Swarbrick from a radio interview conducted weeks ago. Of course, those comments are now somewhat outdated because no one really saw a shift this seismic coming in the wake of the Big 10 situation.

While I think North Dakota and others have acted a bit irrationally and haven't thought about the long term nearly enough, strangely as this has begun to play out I am thinking the opposite about Notre Dame. We are starting to look as if it may be left up to us to pick at the scraps, or go begging hat in hand to land somewhere where our best interests are met. I have little fear that Notre Dame hockey will be in an acceptable position in 2 years, but will it be in the best position? Had we been leading the charge when it looked like things were going to shift as much as even the Penn State/Big Ten situation would change them, I would have been happier.

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
    As for not being upset at Miami, it couldn't be that we've been screwed over so many times by the big conferences, and Notre Dame, in basketball and football could it?
    Other than Notre Dame buying out MU when they were the original opponent scheduled to open the 1997 season (and then, as would be the case now, MU was simply looking for a payday game against a "BCS type" school, and they got that payday without even having to play the game) what has Notre Dame ever done to "screw over" Miami in either football or basketball? At the time we were only one coach removed from a legend, and the two decade long decline in Notre Dame football was not a recognized situation. We were opening a newly renovated stadium with 20,000 more seats and for many reasons thought Georgia Tech made for a more attractive game. While I didn't necessarily support the decision, that is the way NCAA football at that level has been played for decades. Miami knows this, and plays the game.

Leave a comment:

• redhawk95
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    That wasn't my point at all. I love going to all away games (save for the ones that distance prohibits), and I was able to see in person almost all of ND's games. The few I couldn't travel to (NoDak, for example) I did at least got to watch on t.v. But I like going to away games, especially when they count in the league. I can't fly to Denver or Colorado Springs, drive to GF or Omaha for a weekend several times a season. For that matter, I can't fly to Boston and its surroundings either. The CCHA is the perfect fit for dedicated fans who want to travel. So I may get to go to a few road games if ND visits Michigan State or LSSU. But those will be few and far between.

I am finding several things odd about the aftermath of the announcement of this league. It seems an abundance of DU, NoDak and Miami fans aren't upset. It seems that most everyone else is. It seems doubly odd that the 2 leagues affected by these moves are eerily silent. Visit their websites. Philip Colvin joining the CCHA staff is the top story for Miami's league?! Post-graduate scholarships being awared is the lead story on the WCHA's site. Huh?! And what about my own hometown newspaper. They're too busy talking about recruits for ND FB...in 2012!
    Ok, well, all I'm saying is you'll still get to go to away games that are drivable.

As for not being upset at Miami, it couldn't be that we've been screwed over so many times by the big conferences, and Notre Dame, in basketball and football could it? It couldn't be that we were in a power hockey conference, have reached some level of success on a national stage and then to have those same idiots threaten that? Yeah, we're pretty pleased that our administration is taking a stand and hitting back. It's good knowing we're going to do whatever it takes to avoid being yet another "mid-major" or BCS-have not in the flagship sport on campus (football and basketball tradition of success in the MAC notwithstanding).

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    What it really shows is the lack of any power the conference commissioner has. I think it also shows just how lame they both are, more figure head then worthy business dealer. Compare them to Delaney, though you may not agree with Delaney he has increase B1G revenue and exposure.
    Absolutely. Delany's a farking *****, but he works his *** off to get the best deal for the schools that employ him.

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    JJFP, I'm not surprised about hearing nothing from the CCHA. And it's the AD's faults to a degree. Anastos was always all about Michigan/Michigan State, to the point where he bailed on the league to take a job at MSU. Inexplicably, when conference meetings took place in the spring, they simply promoted his assistant. The conference needed a new, outside voice to try to keep it as whole as possible and bring it through the most trying time since it was formed, and they flinched away from that, choosing the same old same old dependance on the "Big 2/Little everyone else" despite the rise of Miami and Notre Dame, recent struggle by almighty Michigan State, and the occasional appearance by NMU, UAF and WMU in recent years. And because of that, some of those athletic directors will probably have to explain why they don't have a hockey conference or maybe even a program anymore.
    What it really shows is the lack of any power the conference commissioner has. I think it also shows just how lame they both are, more figure head then worthy business dealer. Compare them to Delaney, though you may not agree with Delaney he has increase B1G revenue and exposure.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

JJFP,

I'm not surprised about hearing nothing from the CCHA. And it's the AD's faults to a degree. Anastos was always all about Michigan/Michigan State, to the point where he bailed on the league to take a job at MSU. Inexplicably, when conference meetings took place in the spring, they simply promoted his assistant. The conference needed a new, outside voice to try to keep it as whole as possible and bring it through the most trying time since it was formed, and they flinched away from that, choosing the same old same old dependance on the "Big 2/Little everyone else" despite the rise of Miami and Notre Dame, recent struggle by almighty Michigan State, and the occasional appearance by NMU, UAF and WMU in recent years. And because of that, some of those athletic directors will probably have to explain why they don't have a hockey conference or maybe even a program anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Any chance that ND goes independent? Cut some deal with an auto or at large bid based on one of the rating systems. Would have plenty of NC games available. I say this based on the rumor of the ND TV network.
    Uhh. No. This ain't football.

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Any chance that ND goes independent? Cut some deal with an auto or at large bid based on one of the rating systems. Would have plenty of NC games available. I say this based on the rumor of the ND TV network.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
    ... so yes, you will still get to go to road games, they just may be OOC.
    That wasn't my point at all. I love going to all away games (save for the ones that distance prohibits), and I was able to see in person almost all of ND's games. The few I couldn't travel to (NoDak, for example) I did at least got to watch on t.v. But I like going to away games, especially when they count in the league. I can't fly to Denver or Colorado Springs, drive to GF or Omaha for a weekend several times a season. For that matter, I can't fly to Boston and its surroundings either. The CCHA is the perfect fit for dedicated fans who want to travel. So I may get to go to a few road games if ND visits Michigan State or LSSU. But those will be few and far between.

I am finding several things odd about the aftermath of the announcement of this league. It seems an abundance of DU, NoDak and Miami fans aren't upset. It seems that most everyone else is. It seems doubly odd that the 2 leagues affected by these moves are eerily silent. Visit their websites. Philip Colvin joining the CCHA staff is the top story for Miami's league?! Post-graduate scholarships being awared is the lead story on the WCHA's site. Huh?! And what about my own hometown newspaper. They're too busy talking about recruits for ND FB...in 2012!

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on Coach Jackson's office wall. I keep thinking about the chance (however pessimistic or far-fetched it may be) that LSSU could close up shop in 5 or 6 years. If it weren't for LSSU, Coach Jackson would not be where he is today. And as a consequence, ND hockey would not be where it is today. I don't like loose ends. I don't like suspense. Make a decision. Make an announcement. Someone of note, just say something.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X