• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joecct
    replied
    Re: Realignment Rumors

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
    well... the proposed "Liberty League" idea would actually be i believe 5 of the 6 play-ups. Although 3 are able to offer scholarships.
    Now check out the West where there are lots of D-II's playing up.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Not if it is a 6 or 7 team conference where they have 10 or 14 games to fill. Add to that that these are not the four B1G schools that can schedule anyone for NC home games and not really worry about ticket sales. Plus those smaller school don't have the cash to pay for those team to come and visit without making a return trip.

Now, if UAA is still willing to fund the travel for the conference teams, then it isn't a major deal. This assumes that UAA would want to stay in a conference with those teams.

The formation of a Western Six Conference (WSC) will require that FSU, WMU, BGSU and LSSU raid AH for their western team to try and fill in a conference with team like Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, and Niagara. UAH could be added just to keep even numbers.

I'm not sure how UA(F) fits into everything. I can see both UAA and UA(F) being left behind in all the realignment fallout as I just don't see the exemption being that valuable to the lower attendance teams who will be looking to cut costs as much as they can.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
    It already exists. It's called Hockey East. There are really no possible permutations of the realignment fallout that damages the larger New England schools.
    unless they decide to inflict it upon themselves

Leave a comment:

• Rhett
    replied

Originally posted by peten16 View Post
    The BTHC may potentially instill a Major/Mid-Major feel to CH and that will make it tougher on the "mid-majors" to compete in the recruiting department. If a second power conference emergences that will certainly be the case.
    It already exists. It's called Hockey East. There are really no possible permutations of the realignment fallout that damages the larger New England schools.

Leave a comment:

• CHFAN222
    replied

Originally posted by Almington View Post

UAA would be the sticking point because I can't see those teams wanting to keep traveling up to AK every season given that the exemption will not be worth much on anything to them as they will have a difficult time filling a schedule with home dates as it is. I suspect that those teams would tollerate UAA as long as it is needed to keep a scheduling agreement in place with UW and MN, otherwise they would drop UAA the first change they get (particullarly BSU and MSUM because they get no travel assistance).
    IDK about that. I think the remaining WCHA schools can reach agreements with UAH (2 years home 1 year away deal) , ECAC schools, and Atlantic Hockey schools to get fill in home games.

Leave a comment:

• peten16
    replied

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    Gotta agree there. It's not much of a conference if St. Cloud and UMD (yes, I realize they won the NCAA Title) are the heavy hitters.
    That's a telling statement. UMD won a title against the odds, pulling some tough bracket draws. They are not one of the "big boys" of the
    NCAA. The BTHC may potentially instill a Major/Mid-Major feel to CH and that will make it tougher on the "mid-majors" to compete in the recruiting department. If a second power conference emergences that will certainly be the case.

As it is, over recent years we do not see the BGSU's , RPI's, LSSU's, winning titles anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    Every school in the WCHA gets assistance from UAA. The reason for this is that with conference expansion, UAA's cost didn't increase. They still had to provide the same number of flights to the same number of school each year - just different schools depending on who's scheduled to be there in a given year. I have been told this at least twice directly by Bruce McLeod.
    That was not my understanding. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    (particullarly BSU and MSUM because they get no travel assistance).
    Every school in the WCHA gets assistance from UAA. The reason for this is that with conference expansion, UAA's cost didn't increase. They still had to provide the same number of flights to the same number of school each year - just different schools depending on who's scheduled to be there in a given year. I have been told this at least twice directly by Bruce McLeod.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    Gotta agree there. It's not much of a conference if St. Cloud and UMD (yes, I realize they won the NCAA Title) are the heavy hitters.
    I dissagree, a conference of SCSU, UMD, BSU, MSUM, MTU and NMU would be very capable of surviving, they would keep the WCHA name, still have an auto bid (no waiting period). Would still be able to schedule UND, UMN and UW in non-conference games. Plus, because of any scheduling agreement with UMN and UW will be with the WCHA, keeping the WCHA name will keep that agreement (baring any termination clause based on teams leaving the WCHA).

UAA would be the sticking point because I can't see those teams wanting to keep traveling up to AK every season given that the exemption will not be worth much on anything to them as they will have a difficult time filling a schedule with home dates as it is. I suspect that those teams would tollerate UAA as long as it is needed to keep a scheduling agreement in place with UW and MN, otherwise they would drop UAA the first change they get (particullarly BSU and MSUM because they get no travel assistance).

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I hope so. A conference without UNO, DU, CC, and UND would kill off MTU, UAA and likely MSUM.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
    It seems that UNO's primary interest is maintaining ties to UND, DU, and CC:

It would seem that UNO will seek to follow any path blazed by the Sioux, Pios, and Tigers, whatever that path may end up being.

I would rather see the remaining WCHA and CCHA schools stick together as conferences. I think they both still have enough elite teams to function well, and it would be the best move from the perspective of maintaining the smaller programs and college hockey as a whole. However it is also clear that the advent of the BTHC has shaken things up, and a lot of various possibilities are being discussed. It may be a while before us fans really know how the college hockey landscape is going to look over the next few years.
    The ball is in UND's court. UND will lead, the other teams will follow, period. It's all a question of who UND invites along to the party.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    On one side UNO says he would bet against the six. But interestingly they are 'exploring their options' which does say something.

The big question is whether they'd rather be aligned with Notre Dame and Miami or their traditional opponents and retain the WCHA brand. When you look at it that way...I think I would bet against it also.
    At this point, everyone is exploring their options. Everyone.

Leave a comment:

• ecbrevik
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    On one side UNO says he would bet against the six. But interestingly they are 'exploring their options' which does say something.

The big question is whether they'd rather be aligned with Notre Dame and Miami or their traditional opponents and retain the WCHA brand. When you look at it that way...I think I would bet against it also.
    It seems that UNO's primary interest is maintaining ties to UND, DU, and CC:
    Alberts agreed, adding his main interest at UNO was to keep his school packaged with North Dakota, Colorado College and Denver.
    It would seem that UNO will seek to follow any path blazed by the Sioux, Pios, and Tigers, whatever that path may end up being.

I would rather see the remaining WCHA and CCHA schools stick together as conferences. I think they both still have enough elite teams to function well, and it would be the best move from the perspective of maintaining the smaller programs and college hockey as a whole. However it is also clear that the advent of the BTHC has shaken things up, and a lot of various possibilities are being discussed. It may be a while before us fans really know how the college hockey landscape is going to look over the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    But I don't wanna calm down!!! *Rabble! Rabble!!!*

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

Last edited by 5mn_Major; 04-23-2011, 10:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X