X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirtless Guy
    replied
    Re: Realignment Rumors

What about Western Michigan and Bowling Green?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    No Connecticut? That Big East school may feel left out...
    UConn does not offer scholarships to the mens hockey team. Plus their rink is AHA standard.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    BC
    Providence
    Notre Dame
    Denver
    North Dakota
    Nebraska-Omaha
    Miami
    No Connecticut? That Big East school may feel left out...

Leave a comment:

• gophfan
    replied

Stupid idea. Again people are blowing teh BTHC impact WAY of of proportion.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Yeah, that one makes a ton of sense
    Division 1 power conferences these days are not designed on geographic areas, but on the size on bank accounts. If you look at the rumored (#4?) conference, with the exception of Providence, you're looking at major cheese.

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied

Yooper (UP) thinks that is a stupid idea.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Latest rumor from Western College Hockey:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ng-realignment

So if what he is saying about all D-I schools, some of the the likely suspects would be

BC
    Providence
    Notre Dame
    Denver
    North Dakota
    Nebraska-Omaha
    Miami
    Yeah, that one makes a ton of sense

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

Latest rumor from Western College Hockey:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ng-realignment

So if what he is saying about all D-I schools, some of the the likely suspects would be

BC
    Providence
    Notre Dame
    Denver
    North Dakota
    Nebraska-Omaha
    Miami

Leave a comment:

• gophfan
    replied

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    I fail to see how that is any different than the proposed "Super 6."

The flaw in this argument is that the D-II "small schools" (many of whom are actually larger than the D-I "big schools") have been operating in an environment where Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State have bumped attendance for 20 to 60 years (and season ticket holders have come to expect that those schools will visit with some regularity). Now, through no fault of their own, the BTHC schools leave and pull that revenue stream out from under them. My problem with the "D-II schools shouldn't rely on the BTHC schools charity" argument is that none of the schools are going to the BTHC asking for money (it's not really charity then, is it?). They are simply saying that it will be tougher to operate in this new economic environment with BTHC schools not visiting as often (if at all). In fact, I don't recall reading any school saying that the departure of BTHC schools will make it impossible to continue operation.
    Well most college hockey fans are.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

In fact, I don't recall reading any school saying that the departure of BTHC schools will make it impossible to continue operation.
    A fair number of the fans, on the other hand...

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    It's not. There is nothing wrong with the Super 6 or the BTHC, either. Schools need to maximize their income and minimize their costs. If they can do it by forming a TV conference -- great. If they do a cost containment league (AHA) -- that works, too.

The GLIAC and NSC alliance would be an example of a cost containment league with some great traditions - and the McNaughton Cup to top it all!
    Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Tell me how a GLIAC/NSC would involve cost containment for a school like Ferris State? In this alignment what happens to Western Michigan and Bowling Green?
    My two thoughts here (and please note, the NSIC includes an I just like GLIAC):

1) If some sort of "Super 6" does go down, Miami may fight for WMU and BGSU just like Denver would fight for CC. Remember that MU would have to sit next to those schools at MAC meetings for years to come, and people have held grudges for much less.

2) I agree completely on point 1 for SG. Ferris goes from a league that is an easy bus trip to everyone (they are essentially the geographic center of the CCHA - Alaska notwithstanding) to a league where they would have to bus to Minnesota several times a year. That's a pretty significant travel budget increase with zero increase in fan interest.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

It's not. There is nothing wrong with the Super 6 or the BTHC, either. Schools need to maximize their income and minimize their costs. If they can do it by forming a TV conference -- great. If they do a cost containment league (AHA) -- that works, too.

The GLIAC and NSC alliance would be an example of a cost containment league with some great traditions - and the McNaughton Cup to top it all!
    Tell me how a GLIAC/NSC would involve cost containment for a school like Ferris State? In this alignment what happens to Western Michigan and Bowling Green?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

BINGO!!!!

And, then start making conferences based on fiscal sanity, not "prestige". For example, combine the GLIAC and the Northern Sun hockey schools into one conference.

Originally posted by gophfan View Post
    Or maybe the small hockey programs shouldnt rely on the big schools as a charity/welfare program.
    The flaw in this argument is that the D-II "small schools" (many of whom are actually larger than the D-I "big schools") have been operating in an environment where Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State have bumped attendance for 20 to 60 years (and season ticket holders have come to expect that those schools will visit with some regularity). Now, through no fault of their own, the BTHC schools leave and pull that revenue stream out from under them. My problem with the "D-II schools shouldn't rely on the BTHC schools charity" argument is that none of the schools are going to the BTHC asking for money (it's not really charity then, is it?). They are simply saying that it will be tougher to operate in this new economic environment with BTHC schools not visiting as often (if at all). In fact, I don't recall reading any school saying that the departure of BTHC schools will make it impossible to continue operation.

Leave a comment:

• gophfan
    replied

BINGO!!!!

And, then start making conferences based on fiscal sanity, not "prestige". For example, combine the GLIAC and the Northern Sun hockey schools into one conference.
    Or maybe the small hockey programs shouldnt rely on the big schools as a charity/welfare program.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X