X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Realignment Rumors

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    BINGO!!!!

And, then start making conferences based on fiscal sanity, not "prestige". For example, combine the GLIAC and the Northern Sun hockey schools into one conference.
    Or maybe the small hockey programs shouldnt rely on the big schools as a charity/welfare program.

Comment

BINGO!!!!

And, then start making conferences based on fiscal sanity, not "prestige". For example, combine the GLIAC and the Northern Sun hockey schools into one conference.
      I fail to see how that is any different than the proposed "Super 6."

Originally posted by gophfan View Post
      Or maybe the small hockey programs shouldnt rely on the big schools as a charity/welfare program.
      The flaw in this argument is that the D-II "small schools" (many of whom are actually larger than the D-I "big schools") have been operating in an environment where Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State have bumped attendance for 20 to 60 years (and season ticket holders have come to expect that those schools will visit with some regularity). Now, through no fault of their own, the BTHC schools leave and pull that revenue stream out from under them. My problem with the "D-II schools shouldn't rely on the BTHC schools charity" argument is that none of the schools are going to the BTHC asking for money (it's not really charity then, is it?). They are simply saying that it will be tougher to operate in this new economic environment with BTHC schools not visiting as often (if at all). In fact, I don't recall reading any school saying that the departure of BTHC schools will make it impossible to continue operation.
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        It's not. There is nothing wrong with the Super 6 or the BTHC, either. Schools need to maximize their income and minimize their costs. If they can do it by forming a TV conference -- great. If they do a cost containment league (AHA) -- that works, too.

The GLIAC and NSC alliance would be an example of a cost containment league with some great traditions - and the McNaughton Cup to top it all!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's not. There is nothing wrong with the Super 6 or the BTHC, either. Schools need to maximize their income and minimize their costs. If they can do it by forming a TV conference -- great. If they do a cost containment league (AHA) -- that works, too.

The GLIAC and NSC alliance would be an example of a cost containment league with some great traditions - and the McNaughton Cup to top it all!
          Tell me how a GLIAC/NSC would involve cost containment for a school like Ferris State? In this alignment what happens to Western Michigan and Bowling Green?
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Tell me how a GLIAC/NSC would involve cost containment for a school like Ferris State? In this alignment what happens to Western Michigan and Bowling Green?
            My two thoughts here (and please note, the NSIC includes an I just like GLIAC):

1) If some sort of "Super 6" does go down, Miami may fight for WMU and BGSU just like Denver would fight for CC. Remember that MU would have to sit next to those schools at MAC meetings for years to come, and people have held grudges for much less.

2) I agree completely on point 1 for SG. Ferris goes from a league that is an easy bus trip to everyone (they are essentially the geographic center of the CCHA - Alaska notwithstanding) to a league where they would have to bus to Minnesota several times a year. That's a pretty significant travel budget increase with zero increase in fan interest.
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass
            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

In fact, I don't recall reading any school saying that the departure of BTHC schools will make it impossible to continue operation.
              A fair number of the fans, on the other hand...
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The flaw in this argument is that the D-II "small schools" (many of whom are actually larger than the D-I "big schools") have been operating in an environment where Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State have bumped attendance for 20 to 60 years (and season ticket holders have come to expect that those schools will visit with some regularity). Now, through no fault of their own, the BTHC schools leave and pull that revenue stream out from under them. My problem with the "D-II schools shouldn't rely on the BTHC schools charity" argument is that none of the schools are going to the BTHC asking for money (it's not really charity then, is it?). They are simply saying that it will be tougher to operate in this new economic environment with BTHC schools not visiting as often (if at all). In fact, I don't recall reading any school saying that the departure of BTHC schools will make it impossible to continue operation.
                Well most college hockey fans are.

Comment

Latest rumor from Western College Hockey:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ng-realignment

So if what he is saying about all D-I schools, some of the the likely suspects would be

BC
                  Providence
                  Notre Dame
                  Denver
                  North Dakota
                  Nebraska-Omaha
                  Miami

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Latest rumor from Western College Hockey:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ng-realignment

So if what he is saying about all D-I schools, some of the the likely suspects would be

BC
                    Providence
                    Notre Dame
                    Denver
                    North Dakota
                    Nebraska-Omaha
                    Miami
                    Yeah, that one makes a ton of sense
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Yooper (UP) thinks that is a stupid idea.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        Yeah, that one makes a ton of sense
                        Division 1 power conferences these days are not designed on geographic areas, but on the size on bank accounts. If you look at the rumored (#4?) conference, with the exception of Providence, you're looking at major cheese.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Stupid idea. Again people are blowing teh BTHC impact WAY of of proportion.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            BC
                            Providence
                            Notre Dame
                            Denver
                            North Dakota
                            Nebraska-Omaha
                            Miami
                            No Connecticut? That Big East school may feel left out...
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              No Connecticut? That Big East school may feel left out...
                              UConn does not offer scholarships to the mens hockey team. Plus their rink is AHA standard.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What about Western Michigan and Bowling Green?

Comment

Working...
                                X