Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Rumors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Realignment Rumors

    Does Michigan State get extra games on their schedule next year for having to head up to Fairbanks in the CCHA tournament?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

    Comment


    • Re: Realignment Rumors

      Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Does Michigan State get extra games on their schedule next year for having to head up to Fairbanks in the CCHA tournament?
      heh... you'd hope so But tournament games are already exempt
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

      Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey


      NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

      Comment


      • Re: Realignment Rumors

        Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        Let's use a fictional team just for simplicity ...

        The Almington Junior College Maroons in 2010-11 play a 34 game schedule that includes a tournament in Alaska for which they pocket two exemptions. 18 are at home and 16 are on the road (not that this matters but used as exposition of the Maroon's typical schedule).

        In 2011-2012 the Almington Junior College Maroons are allowed to play a 36 game schedule. They play 20 games at home and 16 on the road. Conference affliation has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

        There's your two extra home games. The two extra games ARE NOT played during the SAME season as the games in Alaska were played. How hard is that?

        If the Almington Junior College Maroons are TOO DIM to schedule the extra contests at home and get the revenue then they should fold up shop and never play sports again.

        End of story.
        Others have mentioned that you don't banks games, but even if you could it would change the numbers.

        The reason that conference affiliation matters is that the MINIMUM number of away games that a team must play is set by a conference schedule, for teams currently in the WCHA and CCHA that is set at 14. The standard schedule allows for 34 total games, leaving 6 NC games with a 28 game conference schedule.

        The advantage of having 2 of those required conference game be in AK is that you get an exemption for playing games on the road that you would have played on the road even without the exemption because you are required to as part of your conference schedule. That is why conference affiliation matters, the exemption is for games that you would have played as road as part of your conference schedule anyway. Thus you have 8 NC games you can schedule and the ability to schedule additional home games.

        Comment


        • Re: Realignment Rumors

          It's clear now that I have to apologize for being under a decade-plus long misinterpretation. I'm not a rule book reader and hence have always gone by what I've been told regarding the Alaska/Hawaii exemption ... I "thought" I'd seen it explained in writing at some point as well but I'm unable to find such a reference anywhere. It always seemed perfectly clear and simple to me.

          So ... I'm sorry.

          Comment


          • Re: Realignment Rumors

            Originally posted by Almington View Post
            I'm not sure how UA(F) fits into everything. I can see both UAA and UA(F) being left behind in all the realignment fallout as I just don't see the exemption being that valuable to the lower attendance teams who will be looking to cut costs as much as they can.
            I think you continually underestimate the value of the exemption when it comes to conference affiliation. It's basically free money for teams since UAA and UAF pay most of the travel costs. I just seem to think that you want the Alaska schools out of college hockey, especially since nearly every post in this thread of yours seems to mention about UAA and UAF being left behind or left out or whatever.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

            Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

            Comment


            • Re: Realignment Rumors

              Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              I think you continually underestimate the value of the exemption when it comes to conference affiliation. It's basically free money for teams since UAA and UAF pay most of the travel costs. I just seem to think that you want the Alaska schools out of college hockey, especially since nearly every post in this thread of yours seems to mention about UAA and UAF being left behind or left out or whatever.
              Are you saying UAA and UAF pay travel costs for Non-conference opponents?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

              Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

              Comment


              • Re: Realignment Rumors

                Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                I think you continually underestimate the value of the exemption when it comes to conference affiliation. It's basically free money for teams since UAA and UAF pay most of the travel costs. I just seem to think that you want the Alaska schools out of college hockey, especially since nearly every post in this thread of yours seems to mention about UAA and UAF being left behind or left out or whatever.
                I fully acknowledge that I don't have all of the economic numbers to acurately put a value on the exemption to the schools. I just don't believe that the exemption has anywhere near the value that some people have claimed. My question would be if this exemption is so valuable why has there been no mention of including either of the AK schools in the Super 6 conference?

                I don't want to see college hockey lose any teams, and I enjoyed my visit to UAA when the Badgers played up there back in 06-07. But it is clear that UAA and UA(F) could be left out in any realignment, exemption or no exemption (along with a few other teams) in the same way that UAH was left out the last time.
                Last edited by Almington; 04-25-2011, 02:18 AM.

                Comment


                • Re: Realignment Rumors

                  Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Are you saying UAA and UAF pay travel costs for Non-conference opponents?
                  It wouldn't surprise me that they provide some sort of incentive since there is little to none otherwise it appears. Not quite the NationalCAA is it then? More like the Continguous48CAA.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Realignment Rumors

                    As I see it, the only thing that should be concerning the Alaska schools is the fact that the B1Gs are among the schools that have the most to benefit from conference affiliation with them.

                    The key to taking advantage of exemptions is this:
                    1. Using the exemption to get two more home games.
                    2. Getting cheap opponents for said home games.
                    3. Being a successful enough program that you can make a lot of money at home games.

                    When you're one of the B1Gs (especially Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan), it's pretty easy to follow that formula, since you have such large attendance figures and you make more money off of your program than most other schools do.

                    So, when you remove the schools that have the most to gain from playing the Alaska schools, I have to imagine that UAA and UAF's fortunes can't be improving all that much.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                    BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                    At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                    Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Realignment Rumors

                      In the long term, the Alaska schools might be in a league with the western Canadian schools if and when they join the NCAA.
                      sigpic

                      Let's Go 'Tute!

                      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                      2012 Poser Of The Year

                      Comment


                      • Re: Realignment Rumors

                        Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        As I see it, the only thing that should be concerning the Alaska schools is the fact that the B1Gs are among the schools that have the most to benefit from conference affiliation with them.

                        The key to taking advantage of exemptions is this:
                        1. Using the exemption to get two more home games.
                        2. Getting cheap opponents for said home games.
                        3. Being a successful enough program that you can make a lot of money at home games.

                        When you're one of the B1Gs (especially Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan), it's pretty easy to follow that formula, since you have such large attendance figures and you make more money off of your program than most other schools do.

                        So, when you remove the schools that have the most to gain from playing the Alaska schools, I have to imagine that UAA and UAF's fortunes can't be improving all that much.
                        The other schools that could certainly benefit would be those like North Dakota and Denver, schools that have sizable arenas that do fill up and that could provide a nice shot of additional revenue with two extra home games. But I think the biggest reason you aren't seeing the Alaska schools mentioned as part of a "Super 6" league is that, if it ever even happens, the "Super 6" is a response to the BTHC. Schools included in the "Super 6" would be those who have proven a willingness to spend the kind of money on their programs that will be required to be competative with the type of money the BTHC schools are going to be spending on theirs.
                        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

                        Comment


                        • Re: Realignment Rumors

                          Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          It's clear now that I have to apologize for being under a decade-plus long misinterpretation. I'm not a rule book reader and hence have always gone by what I've been told regarding the Alaska/Hawaii exemption ... I "thought" I'd seen it explained in writing at some point as well but I'm unable to find such a reference anywhere. It always seemed perfectly clear and simple to me.

                          So ... I'm sorry.
                          But on the plus side, you were completely condescending and overbearing in your adherence to your silly misconceptions.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Realignment Rumors

                            Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            But on the plus side, you were completely condescending and overbearing in your adherence to your silly misconceptions.
                            My saving grace.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Realignment Rumors

                              Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              My saving grace.
                              Well, you got one thing going for you and you stick with it.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Realignment Rumors

                                The more I think about it, and looking @ college hockey as a whole, the best solution for ALL the D-II schools, not just the 6 schools playing in D-III in the NE-10/ECAC-E, is to form a D-I/II National Collegiate Championship for Men's Ice Hockey.

                                1) This mirrors the women and is pretty much defacto what is the current situation in D-I Men's.
                                2) The impeding re-alignment of D-I (see the BTHC effect) may have the schools group by resources, not playing level. The D-II's have nowhere near the money than the D-I's and the BCS schools have more money that anyone. If the D-II's can form up around existing D-II conferences, they may gain leverage, rather than sticking in a single sport conference, and play in the money championship.
                                3) Canadian schools. Canadian colleges are coming into the NCAA as D-II members. If Western Canada schools come in with any numbers, the 2 Alaska schools have a ready made, dollar saving conference.
                                4) D-III becomes pure - which will tickle the bowtie crowd in D-III land.
                                5) May actually encourage expansion. Cost containment conferences can and do exist at D-I and D-II, as well as conferences where the sky is the limit. If you're thinking of forming a hockey team, you may not have to break the bank.
                                6) Least disruption. 4 NE-10 schools have to goose the program, but not too much. Remember most colleges pick and choose which sports they want to dominate in and keep the rest at a "maintenance" level. These schools probably would never compete for a NE-10 title, but they would have an NCAA team. They're lots of schools who fill that model in lots of sports.

                                One drawback is that D-II men are currently limited to 15 scholarships, but the D-II women have the D-I limit of 18 (don't worry, the 2 true D-II schools play with 0 schollys). If there is a D-I/II NCC for men, I can see the scholarship limit being raised to 18.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                                ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

                                Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                                I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X