replied
    Re: Realignment Rumors

Okay everyone calm down.

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by peten16 View Post
    I think UAH now has a solid chance of being added to the CCHA (which I'd be okay with) but other than that we may not see much change. I keep running it through my head and there is no obvious new conference to be carved out.
    Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    It's very unlikely that the CCHA will add UAH, although personally I would love to see it happen. But the fact that Miami is the only one within a single day's bus ride makes it less likely.
    I really wish I could be more optimistic about UAH that I am.

They are sitting around hoping for "mass chaos" to occur, but truthfully, even if an anti-BTHC happens, why would the WCHA remnants (UAA, BSU, MSUM, UMD, SCSU, and Tech) or CCHA remnants (WMU, Ferris, NMU, LSSU, UA_ and BGSU) want to make annual trips to Alabama? They could easily get a 20 game conference schedule and get OOC games with each other/BTHC, or combine for a solid 12 team conf and get OOC games with the BTHC. How does UAH fit in that scenario?

Not to mention that for the 11 years of the CHA, all I heard from Huntsville folks was, "the President and AD fully support D-I hockey at UAH." Well, unfortunately, Jim Harris passed away last December and was replaced by an AD from a non-hockey school; plus the president resigned only a month ago. Who knows if hockey will be a priority for either new hire, or if they will look at a program that costs a lot of money to operate and hasn't had a lot of success the last few years - it has, however, supposedly made money for the athletic department.

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied
    Originally posted by gophfan View Post
    i beleiev that the demise of these leagues are WAY overblown.
    trust me, we know.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

I think UAH now has a solid chance of being added to the CCHA (which I'd be okay with) but other than that we may not see much change. I keep running it through my head and there is no obvious new conference to be carved out.
    It's very unlikely that the CCHA will add UAH, although personally I would love to see it happen. But the fact that Miami is the only one within a single day's bus ride makes it less likely.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
    As a Hockey East fan, I would hate it. Adding Notre Dame and Miami would squeeze the peripheral Hockey East teams like Merrimack, Northeastern, Vermont, etc. Teams that could make a run every few years at the Hockey East title and pop into the NCAA playoffs every once in a while will likely find it a lot harder to get there.
    I think adding teams like Miami and Notre Dame would be a serious error which would warp the image and brand of the league as a new england or northeast based league... there's miles and miles of distinction between the Notre Dame brand and Notre Dame hockey and Miami doesn't appear to me to be worth the geographic jump. Neither program is of the size that justifies moving so far out of our current footprint. Adding either program to Hockey East would be a mistake... further, the league should leave itself flexibility if in case there are more geographically closer teams who make the jump.

Leave a comment:

• Zyklon
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Just for giggles
    Put the true D-I's in one conference and the play-ups in the others. See what shakes out - you may be surprised.
    well... the proposed "Liberty League" idea would actually be i believe 5 of the 6 play-ups. Although 3 are able to offer scholarships.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Just for giggles
    Put the true D-I's in one conference and the play-ups in the others. See what shakes out - you may be surprised.

Leave a comment:

• peten16
    replied

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
    I think the CCHA and WCHA standing pat is the best outcome for the next few years. Sure, they lose a couple marquee teams each, but the retain: (1) a couple marquee teams each, (2) reasonable geography, (3) healthy, even numbers. Plus, they'll likely have more space on the schedule for non-conference games. I really think all 18 teams in question could survive.

If one or both conferences get raided, however, that's when programs might be endangered.

Leave a comment:

• gophfan
    replied

i beleiev that the demise of these leagues are WAY overblown.

Leave a comment:

• komey1
    replied

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    Agree with you here. The rumors we heard this week are just ideas that are being thrown out there.

I mean if Atlantic Hockey can survive, why can't the CCHA and WCHA?
    I am convinced most AHA teams are DI to say they are DI.

Leave a comment:

• Rhett
    replied

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    Agre
    I think the CCHA and WCHA standing pat is the best outcome for the next few years. Sure, they lose a couple marquee teams each, but the retain: (1) a couple marquee teams each, (2) reasonable geography, (3) healthy, even numbers. Plus, they'll likely have more space on the schedule for non-conference games. I really think all 18 teams in question could survive.

If one or both conferences get raided, however, that's when programs might be endangered.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ey?odyssey=mod
    Certainly we recognize we're near the bottom (of the Big Ten) in the number of sports that we offer," said Purdue assistant athletic director Tom Schott; the school offers 18 varsity sports, compared to 34 at Ohio State and 31 at Penn State. "Should funding become available in the future, we certainly would like to add some sports. But that doesn't mean it will be hockey because of this announcement.''

Indiana assistant athletic director J.D. Campbell was even more direct.

"It's just not even on our radar now,'' he said.
    Ice hockey must be stealthy in Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied

The thing is, the remnants of the CCHA and WCHA really won't be all that bad. There is a possibility that nothing will happen. Both would be left with solid programs, but not marquee names that will fill JLA or the Xcel Center for the tourney.

I also really have a hard time seeing the BTHC being all THAT exciting with just six teams.
    Agree with you here. The rumors we heard this week are just ideas that are being thrown out there.

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
    Well, I just put the "Rabbit" person on ignore. What a dumb schtick that is. I'd rather read hokydad posts.
    You're no fun.

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Well, I just put the "Rabbit" person on ignore. What a dumb schtick that is. I'd rather read hokydad posts.

Leave a comment:

• peten16
    replied

The thing is, the remnants of the CCHA and WCHA really won't be all that bad. There is a possibility that nothing will happen. Both would be left with solid programs, but not marquee names that will fill JLA or the Xcel Center for the tourney.

I also really have a hard time seeing the BTHC being all THAT exciting with just six teams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X