Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    BTW, a former Husky who played a season and a half up there before going to a DIII school is the new head coach at Hopkins High School in MN. Rolf Ulvin, who coached my kid's first squirt team. (Another Edina Hornet coaching)
    Interesting...I guess he's used to losing
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If Renfrew comes, I assume Dieter Kochan won't be back as volunteer goalie coach, and Damon Whitten will somehow be kicked upstairs for his second year.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        If Renfrew comes, I assume Dieter Kochan won't be back as volunteer goalie coach, and Damon Whitten will somehow be kicked upstairs for his second year.
        I'd love to have them both, as well as keep Damon. That's a lot of recruiting firepower.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Speaking of Dieter... the Chicago Wolves were selling items that had been laying around the locker room for the last decade or so, so I picked up his locker nameplate.

Now to just have him sign it. I'd prefer him to be off duty when I'd meet him though.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            I'd love to have them both, as well as keep Damon. That's a lot of recruiting firepower.
            So what do we know about Muckalt besides the stuff you can figure out from HockeyDB - former Wolverine, two-time national champion, and a few seasons in the NHL? His NAHL team was an expansion club, and it seems he's just getting started as a coach.

Comment

So what do we know about Muckalt besides the stuff you can figure out from HockeyDB - former Wolverine, two-time national champion, and a few seasons in the NHL? His NAHL team was an expansion club, and it seems he's just getting started as a coach.
              I don't know anything, but that he was admired as a player for his passion and leadership on national championship teams, and that both Red and Mel were considering him as an assistant. Everything else is tbd. If anyone has interviews, post links.
              But I'd recommend steering clear of unfounded slanders.

another bio
              Last edited by geezer; 05-26-2011, 08:43 AM.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                I think this is a great match. We have a vintage program and we are rebuilding. Hire the guy already.
                Below is a picture from his website. I think it sums up our situation and shows he has experiance.
                Gut it to the foundation and build it up right...

Ryan J

*****http://vintageconstructiona2.com/img/prop4/photo6.jpg******
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Interesting...I guess he's used to losing
                  Well, ya when he was in Ho-town, but not so much while at Edina or Steven's Point where he transferred when Jamie came in...

Comment

If they're paying his (Whitten) salary it would be foolish not to utilize him in some way for the program. He would make a great Director of Hockey Operations- someone to focus on all the off ice activities that need to be addressed; like marketing for example.

Comment

I expect he'd remain very much involved with the hockey team. I believe he was in the DHO at State, after all. Based on what Flashy told me a couple days ago, he's already filling that role extremely well.

Comment

Mel will turn this program around baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                          Mel will turn this program around baby!
                          duh. Mel Pearson = Winning.
                          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Muckalt spent a year as head coach of the Valencia Flyers Junior 'A' team (Tier III) of the Western States Hockey League before the New Mexico stint. Prior to that he was an assistant coach then head coach of Eastern Michigan University's club hockey team.
                            Michigan Hockey Net
                            Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                              Muckalt spent a year as head coach of the Valencia Flyers Junior 'A' team (Tier III) of the Western States Hockey League before the New Mexico stint. Prior to that he was an assistant coach then head coach of Eastern Michigan University's club hockey team.
                              Techo,

So who are the assistants going to be Renfrew and maybe Muckalt???

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
                                Techo,

So who are the assistants going to be Renfrew and maybe Muckalt???
                                Hmmmm...dunno. Maybe Jeff St. Cyr (if you can pull him away from his office in Kirkland Lake) and Russ Becker.

Comment

Working...
                                X