Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I just can't imagine having someone hang out at the offices all day, or checking flights, or wandering about town trying to locate any rumored future coaches that may be here.

Yes, I'd be interested in who they were talking to, but I wouldn't go to the lengths that the Techies are. Although to be fair, what else is there to do in Houghton?
    Man are you a babe in the woods. Usually when a top coach is hired, its' furtive meetings in neutral airport locations. Its charters at midnight,it's fake names on hotel registers, its reporters behind every door saying, coach so and so was just in blah de blah. Tech is really posuers at this.Not the reverse.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Considered? I would consider Coghlin, Fogarty and Bell...but I probably wouldn't offer any of them the job.
      This would be a step up for these guys. They would appreciate a position like MTU and make the most of it.

Bottom line this position is a very great and special hockey position and the hockey world should treat it like it is a great opportunity for whoever gets it.
      Last edited by yooper(UP) hockey; 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Considered? I would consider Coghlin, Fogarty and Bell...but I probably wouldn't offer any of them the job.
        Why not? Coghlin is head and shoulders over the other two in my mind. If you can recruit to a private school in D3 you can certainly recruit to Houghton. There is something to be said for being a proven winner over the long haul as a head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
          Why not? Coghlin is head and shoulders over the other two in my mind. If you can recruit to a private school in D3 you can certainly recruit to Houghton. There is something to be said for being a proven winner over the long haul as a head coach.
          But recruit who? You have to recruit a different level athlete at Tech if you ever want to compete with the UNDs of the world. I'm not saying he couldn't. Just that D3 recruiting success doesn't guarantee anything.

Comment

Originally posted by pyhtboss View Post
            My sources, which are infallible, have Ron Fogarty (Adrian) on route to Houghton tonight. He got the word this afternoon after Pearson turned Tech down.
            Who is going to start the thread about tracking Fogarty in town. I bet he drives from Adrian. He stays at the Dog House and eats Suomi with the AD. While technohusky still awaits in the lobby. Where is the Daily Mining Gazette in all this?

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
              But recruit who? You have to recruit a different level athlete at Tech if you ever want to compete with the UNDs of the world. I'm not saying he couldn't. Just that D3 recruiting success doesn't guarantee anything.
              How does a D3 coach compare to a USHL coach?

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
                How does a D3 coach compare to a USHL coach?
                this is actually a good question (I know, blind squirrel: nut, and the wrong thread etc. but). If you're considering Rud, do you put his record up against Fogarty's or Coghlin's head-to-head? It's a comparable level of play, right?. Of course the USHL draft means built-in advantages to some D3 schools (name, facilities, etc.) don't apply there.
                Last edited by geezer; 04-18-2011, 09:56 PM.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I just can't imagine having someone hang out at the offices all day, or checking flights, or wandering about town trying to locate any rumored future coaches that may be here.

Yes, I'd be interested in who they were talking to, but I wouldn't go to the lengths that the Techies are. Although to be fair, what else is there to do in Houghton?
                  to be really fair, Yoopers do take their hockey seriously.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    to be really fair, Yoopers do take their hockey seriously.
                    True enough. This is why I like and support MTU. The fans.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm not convinced now either way until Pearson is quoted somewhere, suddenly too much mixed messages today.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

crazy crazy day!
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

At this point Tech will announce that NMU assistant coach John Kyle has accepted the job!!!

Comment

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-Michigan-Tech

Comment

• Posted earlier, old quote based on the speed info has been going around today.
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                                I'm not convinced now either way until Pearson is quoted somewhere, suddenly too much mixed messages today.
                                The article in the DetNews was updated this evening but I didn't notice anything different.

Comment

Working...
                                X