• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by Greenbayguy View Post
    The UMD isn't opening any time soon.
    Unless Penn State gets really interested in Scott Sandelin
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      thats why I said "ask whats going on" not "ask why the **** Mel isn't our coach yet." I don't blame her for anything, I don't really blame anyone for any of this...rumors are what they are...just frustrating to have what appeared to be good sources on all of this and now...who knows.
      Of course no one to blame that's why it's kept quiet and a good AD does not put up artificial goals that can become barriers. The only goal is to get the best candidate and if Mel chose not because of family or a clause to allow him to go to UM later then he was not a good candidate. Reading the Wolverine blog, seems Mel may not be the next inline anyway.

Do you consider the "good source" still good just that there was more info involved they did not know about?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbayguy View Post
        The UMD isn't opening any time soon.
        It might if Sandy cannot get close to the money that PSU could be offering...
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Wait, Bruce McLeod hasn't been announced as the head coach after Mel said no?
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Well, since this seems to be going about as well as Michigan State's coaches search...might as well start the rumors now...if it ain't Mel, it must be....

ECAC Commissioner and MTU Alum, Stephen Hagwell...

sigh
            Hagwell went to a WCHA school? That explains a lot.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Wait, Bruce McLeod hasn't been announced as the head coach after Mel said no?
              Danton Cole said no?!?!
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Unless Penn State gets really interested in Scott Sandelin
                I saw on Twitter today that he confirmed that he will be/has interviewed with PSU.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  It might if Sandy cannot get close to the money that PSU could be offering...
                  Maybe MTU will have to wait till Penn State hires there coaches (coach and assistants)? It might take MTU two months like it did when they hired Jamie Russell.
                  Last edited by yooper(UP) hockey; 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

My sources, which are infallible, have Ron Fogarty (Adrian) on route to Houghton tonight. He got the word this afternoon after Pearson turned Tech down.

Comment

Originally posted by pyhtboss View Post
                      My sources, which are infallible, have Ron Fogarty (Adrian) on route to Houghton tonight. He got the word this afternoon after Pearson turned Tech down.
                      Forgarty coached at Bowling Green for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by pyhtboss View Post
                        Dear god no...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

This is not multi-million dollar college football here. $150k is real good money (I'd love to make it!) but at that level there are other important factors for a family. And Mel is making a decision for his family--they have lived in Ann Arbor for decades. They have a home they like. They have a large network of friends, familiar places to go, things they enjoy. It's hard to uproot all that to go to an out-of-the-way place for a tough job that pays decently but not so much that you will be set for life. Who knows if he will still have that job in five years? If things go sour, that means they move again--and it might be hard to get a job as good as the one he left. Even if he never gets the Michigan head position, he has a pretty good job now.

MTU has a great history, but a dreadful present; it will take extra work to get the right person in place. Probably some luck. I hope they do, but it's not a slam dunk.
                          Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Many different things could be sticking points. It could be that the financials are fine for Mel, but an escape/buyout clause, assistant salaries, recruiting/travel budgets are all spots that could be tough things to get over.
                            The most likely "biggest sticking point" is Mel doesn't want to be another coach in the growing line of Tech alums who leave Houghton with a losing record. He is a saavy enough guy to know what has to be done to change the Perpetual Losing Culture and he isn't being offered the resources, commitment, authority, etc. to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                              This is not multi-million dollar college football here. $150k is real good money (I'd love to make it!) but at that level there are other important factors for a family. And Mel is making a decision for his family--they have lived in Ann Arbor for decades. They have a home they like. They have a large network of friends, familiar places to go, things they enjoy. It's hard to uproot all that to go to an out-of-the-way place for a tough job that pays decently but not so much that you will be set for life. Who knows if he will still have that job in five years? If things go sour, that means they move again--and it might be hard to get a job as good as the one he left. Even if he never gets the Michigan head position, he has a pretty good job now.

MTU has a great history, but a dreadful present; it will take extra work to get the right person in place. Probably some luck. I hope they do, but it's not a slam dunk.
                              I would believe this if you were talking about Eades....Mel's kids are all out of the nest...They're all in college. Moving "the family" isn't that big of a deal compared to a guy like Eades where all of his kids are in High School or soon to be...

Comment

Some truth in all of this, but imho what happens is often what someone else referred to...
                                The organization being left gets wind somehow and scrambles around to up the person's pay/ package/ talk him out of it. It has to be a fait accompli, or many times it doesn't happen. I think it's unfair to blame one person though, as really it was multiple sources.

It sounds like Mel was fairly content with the package, job, etc and got cold feet at the last minute. I'm sure he talked to his wife several times over the days he was in Houghton. If she had a problem with it surely she would have said so way before sunday night or monday morning.
                                I think the problem for us came from ann arbor this morning when David Brandon got back to his desk. I would bet Mel got not just some guarantees, but more money too.

Appears like it's water over the bridge now. I'm not sure Eades is that interested to tell the truth or he would have come to interview already.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X