Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    I have far less a clue than you. I just remembered someone posting about the 150-175 range. baseless speculation - it's what we do.
    I think he as the top Assistant Candidate from Tech's perspective (I think he's #2 behind Eades), is worth an offer of $175k, if they have the money and $$$ were the hang up I could see Suzanne pushing it to $200k but who knows.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I think he as the top Assistant Candidate from Tech's perspective (I think he's #2 behind Eades), is worth an offer of $175k, if they have the money and $$$ were the hang up I could see Suzanne pushing it to $200k but who knows.
      I think you wealthy alumni should be calling in your pledges right now.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        His wife could be a bigger factor than some people think too. If she doesn't want to move north, and they aren't willing to spend more time apart... *shrug*
        One of a few reasons he left in the first place is my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          One of a few reasons he left in the first place is my understanding.
          So does that mean for the rest of the coaches you have to sell the wives, Houghton shopping?

Comment

• Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
            So does that mean for the rest of the coaches you have to sell the wives, Houghton shopping?
            Give her a plane ticket to her destination of choice every other weekend.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
              Give her a plane ticket to her destination of choice every other weekend.
              Didn't they try that with Herb Brooks' wife?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

For Eades to consider the move it would have to be 4+ years, north of $200,000, plus perks and an annuity should the turnaround be successful. Eades' published salary doesn't accurately reflect the total of his current salary. With teenage kids, the move is going to have to be made attractive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Didn't they try that with Herb Brooks' wife?
                  Now we have jets. :-p
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

could be as well, that the admin at MI decided to make Mel a promise he couldn't turn down. If so, I hope he got it in writing.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

could be as well, that the admin at MI decided to make Mel a promise he couldn't turn down. If so, I hope he got it in writing.
                      Like NBC to Conan O'Brien?

Comment

Many different things could be sticking points. It could be that the financials are fine for Mel, but an escape/buyout clause, assistant salaries, recruiting/travel budgets are all spots that could be tough things to get over.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

winner!

Somebody leaked that Blais was offered $300K. True or not, how did that make Mel feel when he was asked to sign his name to $150K?
                          Regardless of the actual numbers, I do believe than an offer made to Dean would be higher than one made to Mel. #1 rule of salary - Based on your past experiance (and what you can negotiate). Who has more experiance as a D-I head coach? Maybe Mel is just now in the second phase - negotiation. And since we're on the subject of rules - He who makes the first offer in a negotiation "loses".

Total made up example - Let's say MTU has $200k to spend on a coach but wants to pay $150k. Let's say Mel is fed up with Michigan. Scenario #1 MTU offers Mel $150k, Mel thinks "Wow, I would have signed for $125k just to get out of this hole..." Scenario #2 MTU asks Mel "What will it take to get you?" Mel replies with a pie in the sky number of $175k. MTU pockets $25k and MTU hockey lives happily ever after.

For those of you that have ever bought a big ticket item, what's the best negotiation plan of all for the party with nothing to lose? Start to walk away. That's when the real offers start to show up. If you have someone that really wants to sell something, and they think you were interested but are now leaving, you'll be suprised how quick the negotiation starts moving towards a solution.

Here endeth the coach signing lesson for the day,
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Many different things could be sticking points. It could be that the financials are fine for Mel, but an escape/buyout clause, assistant salaries, recruiting/travel budgets are all spots that could be tough things to get over.
                            If that is the case Scott Bell wants the job. He coaches at Hamline i think.

Comment

• Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
                              If that is the case Scott Bell wants the job. He coaches at Hamline i think.
                              Scott Bell would literally walk to Houghton for the job.

Comment

My guess:

Mel's offered the Tech job. Armed with leverage Mel runs back to Ann Arbor. Red lays down his retirement blueprint and Michigan's AD promises Mel the gig.

Tech: You just got Served.
                                Last edited by dggoddard; 04-18-2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X