Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
    It is scary thought that Mel might bolt. Hopefully, Mel will be signed for at least five years and tech will not have to worry about this?
    And without a doubt, most down here would want Mel to replace Red- not an unfounded fear at all. But one never knows- the reporters that cover UM are still convinced that Mel's not going to take the Tech job- so....

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    No offense, but I can't see Michigan being turned over to Billy Powers especially in the the new conference. MY bet is Red is now planning on coaching well into the new leagues start and this finally gave Mel the number of years he was no longer willing to wait to coach his own program. I see Tech advancing rapidly with Mel at the helm.
    I see your point- a lot of people would call Billy a sub coach to Mel, too. But the more you look into the program, the more you see Billy doing. It's almost as if Red is coaching Mel and Billy as much as he's coaching the team. Many of us thought Red would have walked into the glory sunset had he won last year in Detroit, but with a contract extension, everything changed, and I, too, agree that he'll want to coach the new B10, and win the first year.

For sure, I'm not saying Mel won't leave Tech if the job here would open up, but just opening the decent possibility that he wont. That's outside of the fact that Houghton and Hancock are underrated places to live, and Mel doesn't have to worry as much about his children.

Still a rather tall pile of IFs.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      And without a doubt, most down here would want Mel to replace Red- not an unfounded fear at all. But one never knows- the reporters that cover UM are still convinced that Mel's not going to take the Tech job- so....
      Having talked to some of the reporters that cover Michigan hockey, not all are also convinced Mel will be given the reigns at Michigan whenever Red steps down (provided Mel stays). Not a slam dunk, at least.
      Michigan Hockey Net
      Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
        Having talked to some of the reporters that cover Michigan hockey, not all are also convinced Mel will be given the reigns at Michigan whenever Red steps down (provided Mel stays). Not a slam dunk, at least.
        I think that if Red goes another 3 years or more, the Wolverines may be likely to look for someone a little younger than Mel, who would be in his mid-50s by then, to take the reins.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
          Then that means he is a shoe in for the MTU job. I bet Ron Rolston takes over for Red. We will take Mel and Billy to coach the tech team.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            You know if they are going to announce a new coach on Monday, wouldn't you at least have a press release out regarding a press conference on Monday? Or maybe Monday they will be announcing a future press conference? Maybe Mel will control the program right down through the SID. We could use some more PR as well since we're turning over the program.

Ryan J
            I wish there was better PR on the hiring. Everything is so hush which makes me think there will be a surprise in the hiring.

Comment

I wish there was better PR on the hiring. Everything is so hush which makes me think there will be a surprise in the hiring.
              Based on history, wouldn't Mel be a suprise?

I know it's expected and all, but it sure would suprise a lot of people in both Houghton and Ann Arbor.

Comment

The hush is very necessary, especially if you are talking to people whose teams were or are still playing. Then you have head coaches or assistants whose head coaches or ADs likely gave permission, but don't want it publicized in their home markets unless they are at least a finalist for the job.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

With Mel in his 50's I could hardly see that being an issue.

Rolston has no finer credentials than Mel Pearson.

Why would not UM hand over the job to someone that has contributed so much to the success of the program....

If we can snag him, tomorrow will b a great day for MTU Hockey.

Comment

You would have to think that if Pearson has indeed been made an offer to come to Tech, that he has some time to discuss that offer with Berenson and Michigan AD Dave Brandon before he signs on the dotted line, whether it's 48 hours, a week or what ever. It also would be interesting to see if a contract at Tech either includes an out clause for the UM job, or has any language that would basically make it difficult for him to leave.

Comment

While it is true that Billy Powers has also been an assistant at Michigan and might be in line for the coaching position, and it is true that Michigan can draw from a wide range of fabulous coaches when Red retires, keep this in mind: If Mel turns Tech into even a decent team before Red retires, he's going to look awfully good to the Michigan AD when they start up the coaching search. He won't just be the assistant heir apparent; he'll be the heir apparent who has proven that he can win in the least likely place imaginable.
                      Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Based on history, wouldn't Mel be a surprise? I know it's expected and all, but it sure would suprise a lot of people in both Houghton and Ann Arbor.
                        Still a lot of hearsay isn't it? Big rumors, big blogs, nothing with paint on it is there?

As far as PR I would think you'd keep it quiet until it's all inked. Mel bringing it home and the discussions there are the issue, and if there is a special out clause. If you remember the UM debacle of how they hired RichRod, you can see why it should be kept hushed. Now was that an ESPN truck hanging out in the SDC parking lot?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Still a lot of hearsay isn't it? Big rumors, big blogs, nothing with paint on it is there?
                          Mel met with the entire team a couple of days ago (Friday). Decide what you will.

Edit: I've been informed that this is old news. My bad. Also, Joe Thornton has been trade to the Sharks!
                          Last edited by Yager; 04-17-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

The virtual silence from Ann Arbor has been deafening. Of course, I would hazard a guess that no one in any credible media is publishing anything without certainty after the "Danton Cole to be named Head Coach at Michigan State" fiasco.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                              Also, Joe Thornton has been trade to the Sharks!
                              That's odd, I don't recall seeing him out there last night.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                The virtual silence from Ann Arbor has been deafening. Of course, I would hazard a guess that no one in any credible media is publishing anything without certainty after the "Danton Cole to be named Head Coach at Michigan State" fiasco.
                                Hard to argue with that after what happen at Michigan State...
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X