Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
    He won't just be the assistant heir apparent; he'll be the heir apparent who has proven that he can win in the least likely place imaginable.
    What the hell do you mean by least likely place imaginable??????

That comment is very demeaning to all of us Tech fans.
    Reminder, the U.P. is also part of MICHIGAN.

Comment

If you ask me Suzanne and Tech have handled themselves in an extremely professional way during this entire thing. Bravo to them.

I hope they give damon the chance to at least interview for the position, as he is doing yeoman's service at this point. ( check it out, shakespeare!)
      Last edited by manurespreader; 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        What the hell do you mean by least likely place imaginable??????

That comment is very demeaning to all of us Tech fans.
        Reminder, the U.P. is also part of MICHIGAN.
        You must have been asleep for the last 30 years....
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          You must have been asleep for the last 30 years....
          I don't think he's the one who's head hit the table.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            I think that if Red goes another 3 years or more, the Wolverines may be likely to look for someone a little younger than Mel, who would be in his mid-50s by then, to take the reins.
            Age has nothing to do with what I wrote about Mel not being a slam dunk as Red's successor. Michael Spath at The Wolverine just posted an update from what he's heard and makes mention of the same thing:

Seemingly split decisions on this one. In talking to folks, it sounds like Mel is leaning towards taking it and he has Red's blessing but leaving Ann Arbor/Saline for Houghton is a bit of a culture shock and not everyone is on board with it. Still, with Mel the unlikely successor to Red if he retired today (he's not by the way), this could be his opportunity to be a head coach, to make some good money and go to a program with zero expectations. And, if he were to be decent there, he'd have something on his resume that could give him a realistic shot to take over for Red someday.

So if I were a betting man, I'd say Mel goes to Michigan Tech but if he declines the offer I wouldn't be surprised.
            Michigan Hockey Net
            Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
              I don't think he's the one who's head hit the table.
              My head didn't hit a table, and there was no head trauma. None of which has to do with my point.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                Age has nothing to do with what I wrote about Mel not being a slam dunk as Red's successor. Michael Spath at The Wolverine just posted an update from what he's heard and makes mention of the same thing:
                I don't understand all of this talk this weekend that Mel isn't the likely successor at Michigan. Because that pretty much goes against about 10 years of everything said by people in the know.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
                  I don't understand all of this talk this weekend that Mel isn't the likely successor at Michigan. Because that pretty much goes against about 10 years of everything said by people in the know.
                  Depends who your "people in the know" are. This isn't the first time I've heard this and I'm not just talking about this weekend. It's just not something that's commonly talked about. Most people assume Mel will take over for Red based solely on how long he has been an assistant at Michigan, but there's more to it than that and I'll leave it at that.

I hope he stays in Ann Arbor. He's been great for the program and would hate to see such a successful trio broken up after all they accomplished this year. But I can certainly understand the want to be a head coach and to get to do it at your alma mater is certainly a special opportunity.
                  Michigan Hockey Net
                  Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Depends who your "people in the know" are. This isn't the first time I've heard this and I'm not just talking about this weekend. It's just not something that's commonly talked about. Most people assume Mel will take over for Red based solely on how long he has been an assistant at Michigan, but there's more to it than that and I'll leave it at that.

I hope he stays in Ann Arbor. He's been great for the program and would hate to see such a successful trio broken up after all they accomplished this year. But I can certainly understand the want to be a head coach and to get to do it at your alma mater is certainly a special opportunity.
                    You're program is too spoiled with what? 19 years with the same staff? Most programs lose someone in the course of 5 years let alone nearly 2 decades. Share the wealth
                    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 04-17-2011, 09:57 PM.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      The virtual silence from Ann Arbor has been deafening. Of course, I would hazard a guess that no one in any credible media is publishing anything without certainty after the "Danton Cole to be named Head Coach at Michigan State" fiasco.
                      I'm sitting in Ann Arbor right this minute freezing my butt off. It's cold, windy and gray...yuck! I flew up on Friday to visit my mom and it was 86º in Texas when I left.

The media silence is due to A) U of M is a football school and nothing else matters and B) Ann Arbor is such a one horse town, the Ann Arbor News went out of business and they only print newspapers twice a week now. The only daily rag left in A2 is the Michigan Daily: http://michigandaily.com/section/sports

I drove my mom around town and campus today and you gotta believe me when I say Ann Arbor has nothing on Houghton. I'd rather go to the Library or Downtowner than any bar in A2. Dooley's and Bicycle Jim's were my favorite A2 haunts but they're both long gone.

Any way, Mel Pearson has been at Michigan 23 years so I'm sure he's vested in his retirement account and could technically retire from U of M. I'm absolutely SHOCKED to read that he isn't considered the heir apparent at Michigan. Really? 23 years of kissing Red's ring and he's not a lock? That's so insulting I can't believe it. Every time I asked Pres. Mroz about Mel over the years, he blew me off and said Mel was Michigan's next coach so there was no point in even asking him. Needless to say, I'll be VERY happy if Mel is announced as our next coach tomorrow because A) it'll prove to Pres. Mroz that it pays to be persistent, B) it'll deprive Michigan of a great and loyal coach and C) I'll be in Ann Arbor when it happens!
                      GO TECH!
                      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Michael Spath at The Wolverine just posted an update from what he's heard and makes mention of the same thing:

Seemingly split decisions on this one. In talking to folks, it sounds like Mel is leaning towards taking it and he has Red's blessing but leaving Ann Arbor/Saline for Houghton is a bit of a culture shock and not everyone is on board with it. Still, with Mel the unlikely successor to Red if he retired today (he's not by the way), this could be his opportunity to be a head coach, to make some good money and go to a program with zero expectations. And, if he were to be decent there, he'd have something on his resume that could give him a realistic shot to take over for Red someday.

So if I were a betting man, I'd say Mel goes to Michigan Tech but if he declines the offer I wouldn't be surprised.
                        Cross your fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                          The media silence is due to A) U of M is a football school and nothing else matters and B) Ann Arbor is such a one horse town, the Ann Arbor News went out of business and they only print newspapers twice a week now. The only daily rag left in A2 is the Michigan Daily: http://michigandaily.com/section/sports

I drove my mom around town and campus today and you gotta believe me when I say Ann Arbor has nothing on Houghton. I'd rather go to the Library or Downtowner than any bar in A2. Dooley's and Bicycle Jim's were my favorite A2 haunts but they're both long gone.
                          I'm sorry, but I find this entire little diatribe completely hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
                            I'm sorry, but I find this entire little diatribe completely hilarious.
                            Fortunately, we are mostly unconcerned with how you find it.

Comment

Is today the announcement of Mel Pearson to coach mtu.

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
                                Is today the announcement of Mel Pearson to coach mtu.
                                Get that plane tracker going!
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X