Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mel Pearson-Michigan Tech's new Coach

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Why are you choosing to turn this positive event into a negative towards Michigan's program?

Berenson revived that program long before Mel came on board. Pearson was an invaluable systems coach and *shared* recruiting with Billy Powers. I hope he succeeds, but please, don't make that kind of ignorant leap.
    I don't recommend arguing with our village idiot.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I can't imagine alot of universities will be to happy with what MTU and Western have done with coaches contracts. There will be numerous head coaches looking for raises in the next couple of years. Great move by both Tech and Western; it could cause some shake-up in places not willing/able to put up the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
        I don't recommend arguing with our village idiot.
        That was harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Why are you choosing to turn this positive event into a negative towards Michigan's program?

Berenson revived that program long before Mel came on board. Pearson was an invaluable systems coach and *shared* recruiting with Billy Powers. I hope he succeeds, but please, don't make that kind of ignorant leap.
          Just ignore 'yooper' please.

Comment

Yeah, it's the same poster who thinks the CCHA teams will be more profitable without Michigan, MSU or Ohio State. You can draw your own conclusions accordingly.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by 626575NC View Post
              Please elaborate.
              I brought this up with SG privately a month ago. On paper, it's a very good hire. It remains to be seen whether or not his recruiting success can be sustained in Houghton, given that he's effectively ridden the gravy train there at U of M for the past 20 years.

"You should come to Michigan because we win, and regularly put players in the NHL."

"You should come to Tech because...?"

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I brought this up with SG privately a month ago. On paper, it's a very good hire. It remains to be seen whether or not his recruiting success can be sustained in Houghton, given that he's effectively ridden the gravy train there at U of M for the past 20 years.

"You should come to Michigan because we win, and regularly put players in the NHL."

...you should come to Tech because Mel Pearson played for and worked with 2 of the top 10 coaches in NCAA hockey history and is looking to bring MTU back to the glory days. 3 years of solid recruiting and they're in the NCAA's
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Yeah we did talk about this. Mel Pearson was #1 on many lists amongst Michigan Tech fans (#2 on my list), but it remains to be seen what he can do at a place like Tech compared to Michigan. I look forward to seeing what he can do. Despite what some of have said, I do think he is starting with a decent roster, including the frosh. Hopefully some of the other changes will show results and Michigan Tech will have a healthy and drastically improved year. This team did start 3-0-2 even if it was against "low tier" opponents and should have won 10+ games last year if they were healthy. I will be intrigued to see if Damon Whitten remains and who the other 1 or 2 assistants will be. I have no idea what kind of connections Mel has and who he could bring in to be his top assistant. Cam Ellsworth is certainly a possibility for one of the assistants but I don't think his chances are very good if Damon stays.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Hey, guys. Long time no see.

It's been a while since I've posted - among other things, part of me was burnt out about Tech being the laughingstock of college hockey. I wanted Russell to prove that a Tech alum could coach Michigan Tech to victory, but in that case, nice guys really did finish last. I got so frustrated that I didn't even want to be on USCHO, let alone go to hockey games back in Houghton. Call me a bandwagon fan, but watching 10 years of failure does a number on your interest in hockey.

For the first time in a long while, I feel good about where the Tech hockey program is going. Suzanne, Glenn and the alumni have opened the pocketbook to allow for a good coach and a good staff, and hopefully will lift some of the other restrictions to allow for this coach to do what he needs to do to recruit top-grade players. I'm glad they recognized that Tech needs to stand out in the brave new world that is post-BTHC college hockey, or it will be swept aside.

It won't be perfect, of course. Mel has a hell of a lot of work ahead of him, and he won't be able to convince many of the best recruits to come here like he could with Michigan. He needs to weed out bad habits (and players?) on the current squad, kick the injury bug for good, and re-learn how to compete in the WCHA. But... we have reason to hope for a better future - enough to wake me up from hibernation anyway.
                    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                      Hey, guys. Long time no see.

It's been a while since I've posted - among other things, part of me was burnt out about Tech being the laughingstock of college hockey. I wanted Russell to prove that a Tech alum could coach Michigan Tech to victory, but in that case, nice guys really did finish last. I got so frustrated that I didn't even want to be on USCHO, let alone go to hockey games back in Houghton. Call me a bandwagon fan, but watching 10 years of failure does a number on your interest in hockey.

For the first time in a long while, I feel good about where the Tech hockey program is going. Suzanne, Glenn and the alumni have opened the pocketbook to allow for a good coach and a good staff, and hopefully will lift some of the other restrictions to allow for this coach to do what he needs to do to recruit top-grade players. I'm glad they recognized that Tech needs to stand out in the brave new world that is post-BTHC college hockey, or it will be swept aside.

It won't be perfect, of course. Mel has a hell of a lot of work ahead of him, and he won't be able to convince many of the best recruits to come here like he could with Michigan. He needs to weed out bad habits (and players?) on the current squad, kick the injury bug for good, and re-learn how to compete in the WCHA. But... we have reason to hope for a better future - enough to wake me up from hibernation anyway.
                      welcome back BPH!
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I agree: BPH, missed you and the Darkness too for that matter.( and it is easy to get down after losing. I was absent for quite a few years)

I think all of us have to look at ourselves and find ways to contribute to the rebuilding of the team. It's easy to sit outside and throw stones, lets try to do something that will help the team do a better job.
                        Flashy, I laughed and laughed at that.
                        Are there no rumors on Campus about the assistant?
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

BPH, no one should accuse you of being a bandwagon fan.

Comment

So because you're a big ten school, it's a gravy train? Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota and WI all missed the NCAA's this year. A little bit of short changing going on in my opinion. What Michigan has accomplished in his time there is amazing and only happens with a tremendous coaching staff.

Also to finish your sentence "You should come to Michigan Tech because we WILL win, and put you in the NHL." It's not much different of a strategy.
                            Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 05-07-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

And think about this, Techies: when the B1G Mistake happens, that's two less traditionally good schools MTU has to directly compete with in the conference. Better chance of finishing higher in the conference and attaining a higher seed. Just as it so happens, the B1G Mistake will be about in the middle of Mel's contract period, so it may give MTU a little extra bump: let's say that in that year, MTU misses home ice by a couple games, because (insert MN and/or WI) are higher than them. Whoops, now MN/WI aren't there, and boom, home ice for Tech.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Yeah we did talk about this. Mel Pearson was #1 on many lists amongst Michigan Tech fans (#2 on my list), but it remains to be seen what he can do at a place like Tech compared to Michigan. I look forward to seeing what he can do. Despite what some of have said, I do think he is starting with a decent roster, including the frosh. Hopefully some of the other changes will show results and Michigan Tech will have a healthy and drastically improved year. This team did start 3-0-2 even if it was against "low tier" opponents and should have won 10+ games last year if they were healthy. I will be intrigued to see if Damon Whitten remains and who the other 1 or 2 assistants will be. I have no idea what kind of connections Mel has and who he could bring in to be his top assistant. Cam Ellsworth is certainly a possibility for one of the assistants but I don't think his chances are very good if Damon stays.
                                It would be interesting to see if he and his new coaching staff swings into Europe and attempt to land maybe a couple of puck moving defensemen for next year. Europe is the one spot where most everyone isn't committed already for next year. Or maybe he lands someone who is just starting to develop the latter part of this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X