University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

I would think a sweep this weekend would be helpful, if for no other reason, to balance the two losses in Madison earlier in the year for purposes of our pairwise comparison against the badgers.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      I would think a sweep this weekend would be helpful, if for no other reason, to balance the two losses in Madison earlier in the year for purposes of our pairwise comparison against the badgers.
      Correct. Also, defeating Wisconsin carries nearly identical weight to beating Denver for RPI purposes. In fact, beating Wisconsin would be our fourth best victory of the season minus the sweep over CC and the win over Maine. Of course, hopefully those are all eclipsed by a victory (or two) over Duluth.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Page three in late January - sheesh. Just some random thoughts about the weekend...nice! we needed a sweep and got it...why can't everyone on the team play as hard as Kristo? Other than him and Lammy, it doesn't look like anyone is going at 100% all the time...Dell played poorly - 2 of the goals that he let in were very weak...Eids played pretty good - he looked like he wasn't ready on the second goal and probably expected a penalty, but still...there were stretches where the Sioux were just watching the game, and bucky was skating circles around them....Gleason is fast!... MacWilliam took a couple of dumb penalties but played better Saturday...hustle will win hockey games - get with the program!
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

The sweep was huge. We're currently 16th in the Pairwise, just outside an NCAA bid. With 8 games left, 6-2 is possible, but hopefully the guys get healthy with this week off. Forbort looked better tonight, but you can definitely tell he is still rusty. I wouldn't mind seeing a Dell/Eidsness duo the rest of the way, especially if Eidsness can play well. I don't hold Eidsness too much at fault for either goal tonight, and he came up with some big saves, but sometimes he looks like he is fighting the puck.

If North Dakota can get splits in Duluth and Denver, that would be huge. Obviously, anything better than 4 points in those two series would be icing on the cake. If they do that, and sweep at home, it looks like North Dakota stands a pretty good shot at making the NCAA Tournament. Plus, that would assure UND of getting home ice, and potentially a matchup against Tech, SCSU, or this same Wisconsin squad in the first round. At this point though, I'm very happy with the 4 points, and hopefully guys are able to heal up any injuries that they have this next week, and get ready for the final stretch. At this point, this will be the last weekend off for the team until either A) Season Ends or B) they win their regional and get ready for the trip to Tampa. Of course, there is the very small chance that the team loses in the First round of the WCHA tournament, and somehow gets invited to the NCAAs, but I don't want to think about that as a possibility just yet.

Nice weekend North Dakota, and it was very nice to see the stick salute/4 points over Wisconsin.
          North Dakota

Comment

Nice wins by the guys this weekend! Time to rest up for the big trip to Duluth.

We're probably going to be sitting in 7th place in the conference, though, when we make that trip in two weeks. It looks like the standings are really going to stay bunched up in the 3-8 range.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The First Goal on Saturday offered us a glimpse of the superstar Danny Kristo can be ... create space with speed and drive, draw defenders, dish (to Nelson this time), and beat the other defenders to the net. WOW. Just WOW.

As he continues to learn how to manipulate the game, he has the potential to become unstoppable.

Also, someone suggested Joe Gleason for an "A". The guy has done everything asked, and done it well. He shows increasingly elite speed, and playing center allows him to showcase his two way skills. WOuld love to see him centering a "checking line", provided a good faceoff man is on the line. He's someone that could win the hard hat just about every night.

Lunch pail hockey. After years and years of abundant elite talent, this team is winning by lunch pail blue collar effort and teamwork.

I think we finish 6th with 5-3 down the stretch, then nose into the NCAA's as a #4 seed, from which anything can happen. Maybe we'll get UMD in Minneapolis...

Comment

On another positive note, North Dakota recently got two more commitments, including Adam Tambellini (son of Oilers GM Steve, brother of Michigan All-American Jeff). Adam should help bring more scoring to the squad, and hopefully he is able to come in next season (looks like 2012 or 2013 are both possible for him to come in). Adam choose North Dakota over Minnesota and Michigan. Looks like Adam is a pretty nice get for UND, and I look forward to watching him play.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  On another positive note, North Dakota recently got two more commitments, including Adam Tambellini (son of Oilers GM Steve, brother of Michigan All-American Jeff). Adam should help bring more scoring to the squad, and hopefully he is able to come in next season (looks like 2012 or 2013 are both possible for him to come in). Adam choose North Dakota over Minnesota and Michigan. Looks like Adam is a pretty nice get for UND, and I look forward to watching him play.
                  I don't know if there would be room for him next year. We for sure lose Lammy as a senior. Potential flight risks would be Kristo, Nelson, and Knight.
                  We already have Chyzyk and Koules confirmed for next year, but also add St. Clair and MacMillan (at mid-season). Then throw in the return of Grimaldi, Rodwell, and O'Donnell (not confirmed that his is season-ending, but it sounds serious) from injury, and we look a lot fuller than this year.

I think that Kristo is the only one of the three that might leave IMO, which leaves us with 2 forwards to replace from this year's lineup.
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Nelson is piling up some goals this year and has a shot at 30. Not many guys have been able to do this. He is definitely showing a deadly scoring touch.

Comment

Great win tonight! Probably as good a performance as we've seen out of the team all year. Would love to see a repeat tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        Great win tonight! Probably as good a performance as we've seen out of the team all year. Would love to see a repeat tomorrow night.
                        North Dakota played extremely well tonight. I would compare it to the CC series, but we played much better defensively tonight. For whatever reason I didn't think the Sioux were going to turn it around after the Christmas break because of all the injuries, but they are playing their best hockey at the right time. I guess we all just need to relax sometimes and realize that Hakstol knows what he is doing.

Hopefully the Sioux are able to play well tomorrow and come home with 4 points. If they do that, we are quietly inching our way up to putting ourselves in contention for a top 2 spot...heck, even the MacNaughton is a possibility if we win out (highly unlikely). Either way, it's a lot of fun being a Sioux fan right now.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          North Dakota played extremely well tonight. I would compare it to the CC series, but we played much better defensively tonight. For whatever reason I didn't think the Sioux were going to turn it around after the Christmas break because of all the injuries, but they are playing their best hockey at the right time. I guess we all just need to relax sometimes and realize that Hakstol knows what he is doing.

Hopefully the Sioux are able to play well tomorrow and come home with 4 points. If they do that, we are quietly inching our way up to putting ourselves in contention for a top 2 spot...heck, even the MacNaughton is a possibility if we win out (highly unlikely). Either way, it's a lot of fun being a Sioux fan right now.
                          I'm not going to hold my breath for the MacNaughton, but what a great win! They played a complete game and deserved to pick up 2 points. Let's look for 2 more tomorrow!
                          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Right. But I wouldn't count this team out yet. If mn falters, the mac is up for grabs....
                            'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

I have watched this game for a long time, but I wish I understood it better. The Sioux weren't bottled up in their own end nearly as much last night as they have been, even in games they've won. The D are being patient, but the passing lanes did not close up last night as much as they have been.

These lunch-pail hockey players are really proving themselves. It may be that it is that type of player that Hak really gets the most out of, with his focus on daily improvement and fundamental hockey.

Comment

Does anyone here have video of the jt brown hit on blood?
                                - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                                Go you Green and White
                                Go Bemidji Beavers
                                Fight with all your might!
                                Rah! Rah! Rah!
                                We are here to cheer you
                                We are out to win your fame,
                                So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                                Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Working...
                                X