Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    So the National is announcing their commish on Wednesday, and the rumor is that they will also announce a 16-game TV deal with CBS College Sports. That would be a big score for the conference.
    Indeed. I am excited for the press conference. Good news for sure
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

The Sioux women will debut their new jerseys tomorrow. They don't look too bad
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Another piece of bad news, Derek Rodwell is out for the rest of the year with a shoulder injury.

That means that the Sioux are without Rodwell, Grimaldi, Knight, Lamoureux, and Forbort this weekend, which means we could likely see the Sioux playing 16 skaters (instead of the usual 18) against Clarkson. Fortunately, it is just a one game series, and hopefully Lamoureux and Knight will be back against the Gophers (would be cool if Grimaldi and Forbort made it back as well for that series).

Here's the link...

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=89641
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Before we become foes on the ice this weekend, I'd like to say hats off to the North Dakota program for its consistent history of scheduling the little guys on their schedule. Surely, more money could be made putting in a non-conference game against another big school but we appreciate that UND not only schedules smaller schools but travels too.

It's unfortunate to see that you guys have so many players out this weekend. We're just getting back from a stretch where 2 of our 3 most talented forwards were out and last weekend was a complete disaster when our goaltender got sick and couldn't make the trip to Florida. Hopefully he's well hydrated for Winnipeg and it will be a good game up there.
          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
          12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
            Before we become foes on the ice this weekend, I'd like to say hats off to the North Dakota program for its consistent history of scheduling the little guys on their schedule. Surely, more money could be made putting in a non-conference game against another big school but we appreciate that UND not only schedules smaller schools but travels too.

It's unfortunate to see that you guys have so many players out this weekend. We're just getting back from a stretch where 2 of our 3 most talented forwards were out and last weekend was a complete disaster when our goaltender got sick and couldn't make the trip to Florida. Hopefully he's well hydrated for Winnipeg and it will be a good game up there.
            very nice post... here's hoping for a great game tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks!! Can you please let us win and then beat the crap out of Cornell and Colgate?
              "My greatest achievement."
              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Go Sioux!
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Great post, FireKnight, and I couldn't agree more. I love that about the FIGHTING SIOUX as well. Especially when looking at certain schools (namely of the Big 10 variety) who seem to rarely travel for non conference games. North Dakota will travel anywhere, anytime, and that is to be commended. It is great for our sport. I think the new conference is going to make this even better, as it opens up a few more non conference games.

As for Clarkson, when CC played there a few years ago, I was at both games and had a great time. I enjoyed the fans, especially the students. And I love the bell! I will always have a soft spot for Clarkson due to my great experience in Potsdam.
                  Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                  -dggoddard

Comment

So pretty nice win tonite. We're 8-1-1 in the last 10 games. Hmmm. Does it feel like the second half surge is underway? Next weekend will give us a good idea.

Comment

It seemed like CCT ran out of gas tonight just as North Dakota started to turn it on. Clarkson controlled the play in the first, had a dreadful second and the third sounded a little more up and down with both teams unable to bury some big opportunities. It sounds like you guys have a great hockey community up there and online.

As our coach said in the post-game, this Clarkson squad is not out for moral victories despite being pegged as dead last in the ECAC preseason picks, but it is kind of nice to be able to hang with one of the great squads out there. Good luck the rest of the way and we'll definitely work toward getting a couple victories over Colgate and Cornell for you when they come to Potsdam.
                      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                      12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

So what's the word on the injured players? Rodwell we know for sure is out, and I assume we still won't see Rocco. How about Forbort? It's been kind of quiet since the WJ's. Any chance he plays? Also, Knight is a huge key. Without his face off wins we sure spend a lot of time chasing the puck.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

No updates on the injuries, but we've lost Stefan Matteau to the QMJHL.
                          '59, '63, '80, '82, '87, '97, '00, [BANNER PENDING]

Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Crap. The annual get-together to watch the Sioux/Gopher game is tonite and it is snowing! The weather guessers are saying an inch or two so it will either stop or we'll get a foot. Worse case I'll stay home and watch but its always a good time. Great game last night - I don't think I've ever heard the Ralph as loud as it was the last 3 and a half minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                              Crap. The annual get-together to watch the Sioux/Gopher game is tonite and it is snowing! The weather guessers are saying an inch or two so it will either stop or we'll get a foot. Worse case I'll stay home and watch but its always a good time. Great game last night - I don't think I've ever heard the Ralph as loud as it was the last 3 and a half minutes.
                              This got me thinking. When was the last time North Dakota won a tight, down to the wire, one goal game against Minnesota at home? It had never happened at the new Ralph until last night, with the last win of this type coming January 21st, 2000, when North Dakota beat Minnesota 1-0.

Between then and last night, here were the results of North Dakota wins at home against Minnesota...
                              1/15/11: 4-1 (lost 3-2 the night before)
                              3/14/10: 4-1 (lost 4-2 the night before)
                              3/12/10: 6-0
                              10/16/09: 4-0 (tied 3-3 the night after)
                              1/10/09: 6-1
                              1/09/09: 6-3
                              12/07/07: 4-2 (lost 4-3 the night after) It should be noted that the game winner came with less than 4 minutes to play in this game
                              10/22/04: 4-2 w/game winner coming about 5 minutes into the third
                              11/8/03: 7-3
                              11/7/03: 5-3
                              11/10/00: 7-5 (tied 5-5 the night after)

We also lost two 4-3 games in December of '05, and one in '02.

It is odd to think, but we were 0-5-1 in one goal games at the new Ralph against Minnesota until last night.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Well, that was a disappointing outcome tonight. Overall, UND is 7th in the WCHA standings and faces a crucial series with SCSU this upcoming weekend. I don't think a sweep is a likely result, but a split is a must. At the end of the day, UND has 12 WCHA regular season games left. 8 wins probably gets home ice, so where do those 8 wins come from?

@ St. Cloud State - as stated, 2 points is a must...anything more would be gravy
                                vs Wisconsin - this is looking more and more like a necessary sweep.
                                @ Duluth - the bulldogs are playing great right now (despite the loss tonight) and probably want to enact some revenge on UND from last season. it is hard to imagine anything more than 2 here, and getting swept is possible.
                                vs Tech - this series is almost a must need sweep. if UND sweeps Wisconsin and takes a game from Duluth (or sweep SCSU) then they may have a bit of wiggle room.
                                @ Denver - another very difficult place to get points. again, anything more than 2 is difficult to foresee, but a split is doable if UND plays well.
                                vs Mankato - must sweep. anything less would be extremely disappointing.

Where do the 8 wins come from? I think sweeps of Mankato and either Wisconsin or Tech (with the other series being a split) gets UND to 5. A split with Denver and SCSU gets UND to 7. That leaves the Duluth series to get a split. If they fail in Duluth, then UND needs to either sweep out at home, or sweep either Denver or SCSU.

Ultimately, I think North Dakota gets the 8 wins, putting them at 16-12-0 in WCHA play (32 points) and likely hosting a first round series (32 points would have been good for 5th last season). It would also put them at 20-13-4, and likely on the bubble for the NCAA Tournament. As a result, North Dakota would likely have to at least win the first round series (against a team like SCSU, Tech, Bemidji or Wisconsin) of the WCHA Tournament, and perhaps make a run to the title game.

It all starts this upcoming weekend at St. Cloud. UND generally outplayed the Huskies earlier in the year, but they need to get healthy. 4 points is doable, but unlikely. 2 points is almost a necessity. Hopefully the team is able to regroup and refocus after tonight, and give St. Cloud everything they have.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X