Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    And with that, we end the first half of the season. I see the exhibition game next weekend as nothing more than a chance for some of the new kids to see some ice time, and more particularily, special teams time.

I guess the team finished about where I thought they would, sitting in the 5-6 position, fighting for home ice. It's a position I think we'll see them in during most of the second half.

I did not foresee the big hole they'd have to climb out of beginning in late November. But credit to the coaching staff and players for at least putting themselves in a position where a good second half will land them in the dance.

I would say my keys for the second half would be as follows.

1. Regain our health. We've started to see some guys banged up in the last 4-6 weeks, and more importantly, key guys. The break comes at a good time for us. We're going to need guys like Rocco, Corban, etc..., in the line up every night if we hope to make a run.

2. Continued improvement from the 4-5 freshmen who have seen a lot of ice time. O'Donnell, MacMillan, Parks, and Gaarder have provided some enthusiasm and are starting to show they can play in the league. It will really help if we can see a couple of those guys pop 8 goals or so during the second half.

3. Aaron Dell will have to play the way he has for the past month and a half. He's been terrific. We're going to lose some of those 1-0 and 2-1 games just because we aren't that deep offensively. But we've been in every game these past 5-6 weeks and it's primarily been due to Aaron.

4. I would really like to see the team play more physical. I don't want to say that we play "soft", but at times it seems we do. There is a fine line between playing the way you need to be successful and just taking needless penalties. I thought this weekend we picked it up a bit, but that was primarily in response to the hitting done by UNO. Blais' comments before Friday's game to Tim on the radio were dead on. You really don't want to be 11th or 12th in the league in penalties, like these two teams are. That shows you're not playing physical enough. I don't believe we've been a sufficiently hard team to play against yet this year. If we can straighten that out, then I think this team is capable of putting together a nice run in the WCHA playoffs, making the NCAA's, and then, who knows.

The nice thing about this year in college hockey is that it doesn't appear there are any dominant teams. Frankly, I think the WCHA is made up of pretty average teams, maybe with the exception of Duluth. I do think Denver will be better, and I expect Michigan will be tough, especially if Merrill returns. I'm sure BC will be tough as always, but this could very easily be the year a team comes from nowhere to win the championship.
    As a Gopher fan, I certainly would not expect you to put them in the mix, but.....

I think you have would have to agree that Notre Dame is a team to look out for come playoff time.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. North Dakota for years has been known to have an extremely physical style of play (that's why all of us Gopher fans get unglued right? ). When this team becomes a physical presence and continues getting the solid goaltending Dell has provided in the last 5 weeks, this team should finish with home ice advantage. Then it is anyones guess what will happen come WCHA Final Five time. ND right now would need to have the committee select them (and it is December and ND is a second half team....I know.....I know). So I think it will be key for them to finish with home ice and have a good performance in the FF. If so....then we might be talking about another hot ND team. Bang some bodies and establish your game. Probably what Hakstol has been trying to preach all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
      As a Gopher fan, I certainly would not expect you to put them in the mix, but.....

I think you have would have to agree that Notre Dame is a team to look out for come playoff time.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. North Dakota for years has been known to have an extremely physical style of play (that's why all of us Gopher fans get unglued right? ). When this team becomes a physical presence and continues getting the solid goaltending Dell has provided in the last 5 weeks, this team should finish with home ice advantage. Then it is anyones guess what will happen come WCHA Final Five time. ND right now would need to have the committee select them (and it is December and ND is a second half team....I know.....I know). So I think it will be key for them to finish with home ice and have a good performance in the FF. If so....then we might be talking about another hot ND team. Bang some bodies and establish your game. Probably what Hakstol has been trying to preach all year.
      Well, if the season ended now UND isn't even close to making the NCAA's, and there isn't going to be any committee to save their bacon. If they want to make the NCAA's, I think they'll probably need to sweep their 3 remaining non-conference games, go something like 8-6 minimum in the second half of conference play, win their first round series at home, and maybe win a game or two at the Final Five.

As for Minnesota, my post wasn't intended as a slight of the gophers. They've certainly exceeded most people's expectations this first half, and have played pretty well. They're not going to have a seventh place finish/miss the Final Five type of season.

But that said, I do believe Duluth has shown they are the best team in the conference, notwithstanding that opening weekend sweep by Minnesota.

I think DU will finish 2nd, followed by a cluster of teams I expect to include Minnesota, CC and UNO. If I had to predict right now, I'd guess MN finishes tied for 3rd, right behind DU and UMD. That'll get them in the tournament, but I don't seem them as a top 3-4 team in the country right now. Just my 2 cents.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well, if the season ended now UND isn't even close to making the NCAA's, and there isn't going to be any committee to save their bacon. If they want to make the NCAA's, I think they'll probably need to sweep their 3 remaining non-conference games, go something like 8-6 minimum in the second half of conference play, win their first round series at home, and maybe win a game or two at the Final Five.

As for Minnesota, my post wasn't intended as a slight of the gophers. They've certainly exceeded most people's expectations this first half, and have played pretty well. They're not going to have a seventh place finish/miss the Final Five type of season.

But that said, I do believe Duluth has shown they are the best team in the conference, notwithstanding that opening weekend sweep by Minnesota.

I think DU will finish 2nd, followed by a cluster of teams I expect to include Minnesota, CC and UNO. If I had to predict right now, I'd guess MN finishes tied for 3rd, right behind DU and UMD. That'll get them in the tournament, but I don't seem them as a top 3-4 team in the country right now. Just my 2 cents.
        I agree. I think DU may be a bit overrated, but you can always say that about any number of teams. No doubt, UMD is playing the best hockey in the WCHA/country right now. The sweep by MN looks like it may have been a wake-up call and UMD was definitely in both of those games. If anything, Reiter has responded with one of the best first halves in college hockey. CC is one of those teams that is hard to figure out and you can never count a team out that is led by Dean Blais. All in all (especially the rebirth of MT) this has been a pretty interesting first half of the season. Other than UAA (and even they are throwing in their occassional upset victory) and MSU-M, I don't think anyone else is playing terrible hockey. It is cliche, but for one or two bounces of the puck........who knows. I am going to miss the WCHA and it's year to year parity.

Comment

SNIP --- 4. I would really like to see the team play more physical. I don't want to say that we play "soft", but at times it seems we do. There is a fine line between playing the way you need to be successful and just taking needless penalties.
          I think UND has played very physical, however, its been more controlled and disciplined. Brock Nelson who was thrown all over the ice last season is pounding guys up and down the ice. Mac and Blood have been take the body hard and during the second period of the Friday game Mac blew up a guy at the blue-line. I also, would like the to acknowledge while I am not against fighting in hockey, I think it has a place, the Sioux showed maturity this past weekend when Tony Turgeon and Alex Simonson tried goading the Sioux players into a fight and none of them took the bait. In fact skating up the ice on Saturday night, Simonson asked one of the Sioux players if he wanted to go, the Sioux player said no and Alex patted him on back side and took a seat on the bench. I was told by someone that the UNO players had the green light if they wanted to go this past weekend...
          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
          Eric's Twitter
          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
            Tony Turgeon and Alex Simonson tried goading the Sioux players into a fight and none of them took the bait. In fact skating up the ice on Saturday night, Simonson asked one of the Sioux players if he wanted to go, the Sioux player said no and Alex patted him on back side and took a seat on the bench. I was told by someone that the UNO players had the green light if they wanted to go this past weekend...
            If only Prpich or Kaip were around. They would have taken the bait.
            "My greatest achievement."
            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

I think UND has played very physical, however, its been more controlled and disciplined. Brock Nelson who was thrown all over the ice last season is pounding guys up and down the ice. Mac and Blood have been take the body hard and during the second period of the Friday game Mac blew up a guy at the blue-line. I also, would like the to acknowledge while I am not against fighting in hockey, I think it has a place, the Sioux showed maturity this past weekend when Tony Turgeon and Alex Simonson tried goading the Sioux players into a fight and none of them took the bait. In fact skating up the ice on Saturday night, Simonson asked one of the Sioux players if he wanted to go, the Sioux player said no and Alex patted him on back side and took a seat on the bench. I was told by someone that the UNO players had the green light if they wanted to go this past weekend...
              I'm not talking about fighting. Taking stupid penalties just hurts the team.

I'm talking about playing with a bit of an edge. Taking that one extra stride to knock a guy on his butt, or hit him hard up against the boards, once he has passed the puck. The kinds of plays that occasionally are going to end up with a boarding call, a charging call, high sticking, etc... I bet if you check the stats those penalties are down this year and what we are seeing is a bunch of stickwork penalties: hooking, tripping, slashing, etc...

I'm not advocating that we go out and take a 5 minute major every game. But I think it's telling that we've had only one this year, and it was for grasping the face mask.

A couple of the guys are not shying away from contact. MacWilliam's hit was a beauty. Mario still plays physical. I like both Rodwell's and Gleason's willingness to initiate contact.

I think part of the problem is size and strength. When you see us occasionally initiate the contact, a lot of times we're just bouncing right off.

I thought we played a more physical game this past weekend, and did so while staying within the rules, but as I posted earlier I felt it was due in part as a response to UNO's play. I really believe our success these past few years has been due at least in part to our willingness to play the physical game right up to the line, and occasionally cross over it.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I'm not advocating that we go out and take a 5 minute major every game. But I think it's telling that we've had only one this year, and it was for grasping the face mask.
                So what would an appropriate number of majors be then? I thought the goal was always zero and minors could be overlooked in some cases in the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                  So what would an appropriate number of majors be then? I thought the goal was always zero and minors could be overlooked in some cases in the bigger picture.
                  Isn't the UND number usually based more on the number opponents injured than actual majors handed out?

Comment

they just lack talent, that's all.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      This could be fun...

A Gopher fan, a Wisconsin fan, and a North Dakota fan all head into the restroom at the Final Five (just assume that the Gophers and Wisconsin are actually playing at the Final Five for the purposes of this joke). The Gopher fan finishes, and just starts using a tremendous amount of water and soap, saying "I went to the University of Minnesota where they taught us to make sure to scrub our hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom." The Badger fan finishes, and uses just a tiny bit of water and a half of a paper towel, saying "I went to the University of Wisconsin where they taught us to be conscious of using our natural resources." The Sioux fan finishes, and just walks out of the bathroom. Astonished, the Badger and Gopher fan question the Sioux fan when they meet up with him in the concourse. The Sioux fan says "I went to the University of North Dakota. They taught us not to pee on our hands."

Never shake the hand of a sue fan, never eat at a restaurant that sue fans work at, and above all else, do not use an elevator after a sue fan.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Your goal is to have none. My point is that if they are playing the game the way they need to, it's going to happen inadvertently and unintentionally. That is, if your team is playing physical, finishing it's checks, taking away space from the other team, there are going to be instances where a major will be called; where you will be called for charging or boarding or similar penalties. Whether it's because the opposing player turned his back to you at the last instant, whether your own player was a little too aggressive, or maybe the official thought he saw or heard something that he really didn't. Whatever, they will still come up. Classic example is Minnesota's game this weekend.

All I'm saying is that if a team just goes on the ice, skates around and avoids contact, and chases the puck all day, you won't have many penalties and you probably won't have any majors (unless you grab someone's face mask), but you also won't be playing the type of physical hockey that I think needs to be played to be successful in this league.

Comment

Your goal is to have none. My point is that if they are playing the game the way they need to, it's going to happen inadvertently and unintentionally. That is, if your team is playing physical, finishing it's checks, taking away space from the other team, there are going to be instances where a major will be called; where you will be called for charging or boarding or similar penalties. Whether it's because the opposing player turned his back to you at the last instant, whether your own player was a little too aggressive, or maybe the official thought he saw or heard something that he really didn't. Whatever, they will still come up. Classic example is Minnesota's game this weekend.

All I'm saying is that if a team just goes on the ice, skates around and avoids contact, and chases the puck all day, you won't have many penalties and you probably won't have any majors (unless you grab someone's face mask), but you also won't be playing the type of physical hockey that I think needs to be played to be successful in this league.
                          There is a big difference here. You talk like it's a mark of pride. Why? That is where the UND halo reputation comes from. Ask anyone connected to MN and they will tell you how stupid the play that lead to the major was last weekend. Thompson was not thinking to even put himself in that situation and look what happened. The tide of the game almost turned for good. The very same thing could and probably has happened to UND. Major penalties could cost you games.

Comment

There is a big difference here. You talk like it's a mark of pride. Why? That is where the UND halo reputation comes from. Ask anyone connected to MN and they will tell you how stupid the play that lead to the major was last weekend. Thompson was not thinking to even put himself in that situation and look what happened. The tide of the game almost turned for good. The very same thing could and probably has happened to UND. Major penalties could cost you games.
                            From what I heard and read, many people didn't think it warranted a major. But candidly, after reading about 10 posts I had no desire to wade into the MTU-MN thread, so I'll take your word for it with respect to the opinion of MN fans.

My point is not that you should go out to acquire 5 minute majors. That's just silly. But I do think part of UND's success, really going back to the Dean Blais years, has been to play a very fast, physical game in which you finish your checks, take away time and space from the opponent, and purely as an admitted by-product of that style, take some charging, elbowing, boarding, etc..., penalties. And I don't think UND has done that yet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                              If only Prpich or Kaip were around. They would have taken the bait.
                              Ha! I think you're right...
                              Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                they just lack talent, that's all.
                                So how many times have you watched them play this season?
                                Eric's Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X