University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Some much needed points this past weekend.

I was surprised how poorly CC played defense. They were my pre-season pick to finish atop the WCHA, but I don't see it happening if their goaltending and defense plays the way it did this past weekend. I think UND played much better than they've shown earlier in this season, but I also think some of UND's offensive success was due to some bad defensive lapses by the Tigers.

Some positives that I took away from the weekend:

I thought Danny Kristo played the best defensive hockey of his college career during those two games. He was outstanding. If that continues he will surely be recognized as one of the top 3 players in the country at the end of the year, regardless of any success or lack of success the team has.

It looks like the game might be slowing down a bit for Brock Nelson. His confidence seems much greater and he doesn't appear as rushed with the puck as he did as a freshman, or even the first few games this season. He is also learing to use his long reach to play better defense.

I thought the Sioux did a much better job with short, quick passes to get the puck up the ice and deep in the CC zone. 2nd and 3rd line guys really seemed to be moving their feet all weekend, and it allowed some sustained pressure and kept a dangerous CC team bottled up at times.

I still think we are not doing as good a job taking away opponents time and space on the ice as past Hakstol teams have. With talented offensive players like CC puts out there, I realize there may be a greater tendency to back in a little, but it's one area I think we're going to have to improve if this team wants to make real strides.

Everytime I see Joe Gleason play I like him more. By the time he leaves, he will be a true fan favorite in my opinion.

I stand by my post of 3 weeks ago. I see this team making slow improvement, and starting the climb back to .500 hockey in the league. We need 4 good games against UAA and UNO, certainly no worse than 4 points, and 6 would be great, followed by 3 out of conference wins. It would give this team a nice boost heading into what is always difficult second half of conference play.

On a side note, on Saturday night I sat with some family members in a different section, across from our usual seats. It looked like a young man/recruit was taking in the game with his family. I don't know who it was, but during one of the intermissions I think Grimaldi came up and sat with the recruit, introduced himself, and spent 5-10 minutes chatting him up. Two positives that I noted were that Grimaldi wasn't walking with a limp, at least as far as I could tell, and the young man's father had a bag full of UND clothing, etc..., he had picked up in the Sioux shop.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
      So much for my theory on CC bouncing back. Rylan Fricking Schwartz is amazing. Back to back hat tricks. When has that been done? .
      The Schwartz brothers are great offensive players. BUT I sort of noticed this when I was at the game but after watching the replay of the game at home I was shocked to see that neither Schwartz played on the penalty kill. I've heard of resting your offensive players but that is crazy to me. It boggles my mind that you'd sit your two best players on the penalty kill unless they can't play defense. Of course maybe Owens is just resting them to play offense, who knows.

Just something I observed.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Some much needed points this past weekend.

I was surprised how poorly CC played defense. They were my pre-season pick to finish atop the WCHA, but I don't see it happening if their goaltending and defense plays the way it did this past weekend. I think UND played much better than they've shown earlier in this season, but I also think some of UND's offensive success was due to some bad defensive lapses by the Tigers.

Some positives that I took away from the weekend:

I thought Danny Kristo played the best defensive hockey of his college career during those two games. He was outstanding. If that continues he will surely be recognized as one of the top 3 players in the country at the end of the year, regardless of any success or lack of success the team has.

It looks like the game might be slowing down a bit for Brock Nelson. His confidence seems much greater and he doesn't appear as rushed with the puck as he did as a freshman, or even the first few games this season. He is also learing to use his long reach to play better defense.

I thought the Sioux did a much better job with short, quick passes to get the puck up the ice and deep in the CC zone. 2nd and 3rd line guys really seemed to be moving their feet all weekend, and it allowed some sustained pressure and kept a dangerous CC team bottled up at times.

I still think we are not doing as good a job taking away opponents time and space on the ice as past Hakstol teams have. With talented offensive players like CC puts out there, I realize there may be a greater tendency to back in a little, but it's one area I think we're going to have to improve if this team wants to make real strides.

Everytime I see Joe Gleason play I like him more. By the time he leaves, he will be a true fan favorite in my opinion.

I stand by my post of 3 weeks ago. I see this team making slow improvement, and starting the climb back to .500 hockey in the league. We need 4 good games against UAA and UNO, certainly no worse than 4 points, and 6 would be great, followed by 3 out of conference wins. It would give this team a nice boost heading into what is always difficult second half of conference play.

On a side note, on Saturday night I sat with some family members in a different section, across from our usual seats. It looked like a young man/recruit was taking in the game with his family. I don't know who it was, but during one of the intermissions I think Grimaldi came up and sat with the recruit, introduced himself, and spent 5-10 minutes chatting him up. Two positives that I noted were that Grimaldi wasn't walking with a limp, at least as far as I could tell, and the young man's father had a bag full of UND clothing, etc..., he had picked up in the Sioux shop.
        Could that have been Cagguila?
        Last edited by icehawk; 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
          I bet it was - here's an article:

http://www.yorkregion.com/sports/loc...o-north-dakota
          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

It was a fun series to watch. Personally i would rather watch them score and play a little looser. Watching them struggle to score is frustrating. It helps for morale of the team to know that they can actually score if they need to and don't need to win every game 2-1.

The young guys have skills and they are getting better with experience. I wouldn't sleep on this team.

CC was great too. Holy smokes don't leave swartz alone in front of your net!

Comment

I'm not sure that it was. The kid I saw had darker hair, I believe. I think he also looked a little younger. But of course, at my age all of these players look younger.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So you gonna kick your own rodents now since they are the team down?
                Down? While still atop the standings? Umm... no.

I'm interested to see how the Sioux play next weekend against a middle of the road opponent that plays a similar style and way more defensive. CC is a bit more run and gun which teams of years past have been able to handle. The biggest question is if they blew all their offense in the last series or if this was enough to open the door for the remaining lines.

Comment

Sounds like the day has finally arrived...

Should I be preparing for an emergency run up to Grand Forks or am I going to be able to stock up on Sioux gear in January?
                  '59, '63, '80, '82, '87, '97, '00, [BANNER PENDING]

Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by icelund View Post

Should I be preparing for an emergency run up to Grand Forks or am I going to be able to stock up on Sioux gear in January?
                    Excuse my not knowing, but does UND have to give up "Fighting Sioux" and/or Sioux all together and change their name to something else?
                    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by icelund View Post

The day arrived way before today.
                      "My greatest achievement."
                      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                        Excuse my not knowing, but does UND have to give up "Fighting Sioux" and/or Sioux all together and change their name to something else?
                        Give up the Sioux name period. According to the settlement we are to adopt a new nickname, but I always assumed that meant Dropping this nickname and under assumption all schools have a nickname. I don't see how they can make a School have a nickname if they don't want one.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                          Down? While still atop the standings? Umm... no.

I'm interested to see how the Sioux play next weekend against a middle of the road opponent that plays a similar style and way more defensive. CC is a bit more run and gun which teams of years past have been able to handle. The biggest question is if they blew all their offense in the last series or if this was enough to open the door for the remaining lines.
                          They seem to lay 1 egg in Alaska. Hopefully not this time around. Your boys should go 4-0 in the next 2 series. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

North Dakota is the College Hockey Weekly Team of the Week
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

http://www.twincities.com/ci_1943606...ce=most_viewed

Story about the Fighting Sioux nickname in today's PP.
                              Originally posted by CavalryNate
                              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                              sigpic

Comment

Some adjustments already have been made, but others will occur over the next four weeks or so. A few changes might not occur for two or three months, most notably the logo-bearing uniforms worn by UND hockey players. Replacement uniforms are on order but will not arrive until mid-February, Athletic Director Brian Faison has said.
                                They have a special going, on these uniforms...

*****http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/953/417/admirals_display_image.gif?1305922302******

Comment

Working...
                                X