University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

I think FS23 pretty much hit it on the head with everything he said. I think the biggest possible thing that comes from this is that Grimaldi is presumably back now. It's really tough to watch us and I think there needs to be some line changes here, but we kept up with one of the most dominant and hot teams in the country; that should count for something. Things that I'd like to see:
    1. Aaron Dell keeping it up. If he can keep doing that, we most certainly will win.
    2. Keep the 1-2 punches of Knight-Kristo and Grimaldi-Nelson. I think that Nelson and Grimaldi could be extremely dangerous feeding one another.
    3. Score on the PP. Grimaldi-Knight-Nelson-Kristo-Mattson could be the most potent PP in the NCAA, when they hit the ice I felt immediate chemistry.
    4. Mix and match the D pairings. I love Forbort, but he really struggled in the last 10 minutes of the game last night. The talent is there for the Blood-Forbort pairing, but they seem to have those "Oh crap..." moments.
    5. Don't give up yet! It's still relatively early, and last year at the same time UND was 5-4-1, not terribly far off from a 3-6-1 start; and last year was one of the best teams in recent memory. They have played some pretty big rivals including a 9-1 Minnesota and 8-2 BC.
    6. Don't go pro. Not to give up on this year already, but we've only had 4 total points contributed from our seniors all year. Whilst they're extremely hard working and playing pretty well, they're not really point producers. The chemistry scoring wise will increase if we can retain the talent we have.
    Last edited by PhatKroger10; 11-06-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Well, that was a disappointing weekend. The Sioux were dominated in nearly every facet of the game, and if it were not for Dell, that could have been extremely embarrassing. We're 1-5-0 in WCHA play, including two sweeps on the road, and are 3-6-1 overall. Heading into a bye week, we're not fully healthy and our team confidence has to be quite low. It's the worst start in the Dave Hakstol era, and our worst 10 game start since the 1993-1994 season (although in '08-'09 we started 4-6-0). It's the worst WCHA start since 1975-1976, when the Sioux started off WCHA play 2-9-0 through 11 games (1-5-0 through 6). We have struggled defensively, we have virtually no scoring depth and up until this weekend our goaltending was shaky. So...why should we even watch the rest of the season?
      We should keep watching because we are Sioux hockey fans, and I don't see any reason not to watch. The team is a few bounces away from being 5-4-1. The things we expected to be a challenge have been - namely scoring. It's a little surprising that defense and goaltending have struggled as much as they have - Forbert has looked lost at times. Blood has played as well as expected. Dell seems to have regained his form from last year. Kristo, Knight and Nelson are putting up some nice numbers. But it doesn't feel like this team has anywhere near the capability to go on the run that last year's team did. Last year when the 4th line was on the ice, I never worried about them not matching up and holding their own. This year not so much. So what does it take for the team to get on track? First, defense needs to get it together - split up the pairings maybe? Second, Dell needs to play like he did against MN. Third, the underclassmen need to learn to play together and score some goals!

I agree that the bye week is at a perfect time, and the next two series will be very important to what the team does the rest of the season. Three wins would put the team back on track.
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

I only got to see about 5 minutes of the games this past weekend. Fortunately, those five minutes included Grimaldi's goal.

I see the Bemidji series as being pretty big for the Sioux. It figures to be their best chance for a sweep on the road this year, if they are to do it at all.

I do think there is some potential in the team. We lost a lot of talent off last year's team, and with the Grimaldi and O'Donnell injuries, the Miller defection and the St. Clair clearinghouse problem, Hak hasn't had a ton of new talent yet to try to fill in some of the holes.

Grimaldi obviously has a ton of talent. Mattson has been a real nice surprise. We're getting some decent performances out of new guys like Parks and MacMillan. It's just going to take some time to put it all together.

They have to get to .500 in the conference. That should get them home ice for the playoffs. Even with a team that has thus far struggled, that is not an unrealistic goal.

Coupled with 3 more non-conference games which are winnable, I stand by my pre-season prediction that this will be a team at the end of the year that is battling for home ice in the playoffs and for a final spot in the NCAAs.

But if they go 1-3 in the next 4, or something like that, then the rest of the season will just be teaching moments for the new guys.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So how are the black jerseys treating you guys this year ?
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            So how are the black jerseys treating you guys this year ?
            I'm not sure why they have been allowed to wear them just yet. Usually they are reserved for a little bit later in the season (with some exceptions). I believe we had only lost once in them up until this year. We are 0-2-0 so far this season in the blacks...still the best jersey in college hockey.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              I'm not sure why they have been allowed to wear them just yet. Usually they are reserved for a little bit later in the season (with some exceptions). I believe we had only lost once in them up until this year. We are 0-2-0 so far this season in the blacks...still the best jersey in college hockey.
              The reebok version is the best to date. The green really pops. The other ones are fine. My favorite college jersey is Maine's away jersey
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                The reebok version is the best to date. The green really pops. The other ones are fine. My favorite college jersey is Maine's away jersey
                That's definitely a classic as well, but North Dakota's is still the best. I am obviously biased though .
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  So...why should we even watch the rest of the season?
                  Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                  We should keep watching because we are Sioux hockey fans, and I don't see any reason not to watch.
                  FS23 gave some good reasons to keep watching, but Sfis gave the best one!
                  Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Thank God the Badgers beat the Goofs last night, better beat them again tonight. At times it looked like Minnesota was getting complacent with all the praise they were receiving from being #1. I'm going to take a sweep of the Badgers over the Gophers in hockey, the Badgers over the Gophers in football and the Packers over the Vikings in the NFL. Whilst the Timberwolves and the Bucks remain not playing! It could be (almost) the perfect weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
                      Thank God the Badgers beat the Goofs last night, better beat them again tonight. At times it looked like Minnesota was getting complacent with all the praise they were receiving from being #1. I'm going to take a sweep of the Badgers over the Gophers in hockey, the Badgers over the Gophers in football and the Packers over the Vikings in the NFL. Whilst the Timberwolves and the Bucks remain not playing! It could be (almost) the perfect weekend!
                      I could really care less if Wisconsin won tonight, but you make a strong argument for all those Gopher fans who claim that we have an obsession with their program. It doesn't help out North Dakota one bit who wins between Minnesota and Wisconsin. They are both ahead of us in the standings, and it would probably actually make more sense for us to cheer for Minnesota tonight as we are far more likely to be in a standings race with Wisconsin than the Gophers.

As for the other sports...I'm quite pleased Clemson came back to win today, hoping that Minnesota can at least stay in the game on Monday, and I agree about the NBA...who cares about basketball...at least professional basketball.
                      North Dakota

Comment

The latest edition of Brad Miller Time is posted - it's must-watch stuff. Golf in the Ralph!
                        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

I hope the bye helped some guys get healed up. I'm ready for some hockey!
                          sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

• Yawn, I'm tired........of watching the Sioux lose.
                            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

• Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                              Yawn, I'm tired........of watching the Sioux lose.
                              Am I tired of watching them lose? Yes! Will I continue to watch them even though they lose? Yes!
                              "My greatest achievement."
                              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                                Am I tired of watching them lose? Yes! Will I continue to watch them even though they lose? Yes!
                                welcome to my world
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X