University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

This Sioux team has the potential to be a good team. They have a bit to go to get there though.
    Eids and Dell should be able to provide consistent goaltending each game.
    Our d-corps should have enough experience/talent to keep UND in most games.

Can they score goals though? From the way Kristo has looked early...this will be his last year in a UND uni, and it will be a great one. Knight and Nelson look strong as well. MacMillan and Parks look like very talented freshmen, as well as Mattson on defense...none of those three look out of place. Now we just need to get Grimaldi in the lineup, and maybe we can start spreading the scoring wealth around a bit.

This team will take some lumps in the early going, but hopefully they win enough games early to be able to make a run at the end.
    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I was expecting a bit more out of Forbert by now but maybe he will develop as the season unfolds.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
        I was expecting a bit more out of Forbert by now but maybe he will develop as the season unfolds.
        I think Forbort has been solid so far this season. He still has perhaps the best setup pass by any of our defensemen (perhaps on the whole team) and was able to finally score a goal. I wonder if he is trying a bit too hard to pick up the offensive slack, and that is why he has made a few bobbles defensively? Either way, I'm not too worried about him. I think he'll be an All-WCHA pick by the end of the year.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          I think Forbort has been solid so far this season. He still has perhaps the best setup pass by any of our defensemen (perhaps on the whole team) and was able to finally score a goal. I wonder if he is trying a bit too hard to pick up the offensive slack, and that is why he has made a few bobbles defensively? Either way, I'm not too worried about him. I think he'll be an All-WCHA pick by the end of the year.
          I hope so, he seems to be caught flat-footed a lot. The talent is there, now it just needs to start showing itself.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
            From what I've heard, he was/is injured a bit in the early going. As his injury heals, I would expect his performance to improve as well.

Sounds like both Grimaldi and O'Donnell won't be making the trip to UW (or at least playing). Grimaldi is still listed as week-to-week and O'Donnell was injured against Maine and is out 3-6 weeks. Ouch. Our forward group just got really thin with St. Clair still being held up by the NCAA. Sounds like Gleason will be playing more at forward for awhile. We need a healthy Grimaldi in our lineup...

In other news:

Frattin Game Winning Shootout Goal
            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Always a big weekend when we head to Wisconsin.

Go SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                From what I've heard, he was/is injured a bit in the early going. As his injury heals, I would expect his performance to improve as well.
                I certainly think he must be injured. BC and Maine were beating him on the outside and driving the net. That is never good for a defenseman. He got undressed last night on the critical 5th goal that put the game an arm reach away. Either way, he is not looking like a first-round pick.

I was actually expecting more from Simpson, but maybe he will just be that "quiet" defenseman like LaPoint. Mattson has been adjusting quite nicely, and appears to be a solid threat offensively and on the PP.

We need a split tonight...
                'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
                  I certainly think he must be injured. BC and Maine were beating him on the outside and driving the net. That is never good for a defenseman. He got undressed last night on the critical 5th goal that put the game an arm reach away. Either way, he is not looking like a first-round pick.

I was actually expecting more from Simpson, but maybe he will just be that "quiet" defenseman like LaPoint. Mattson has been adjusting quite nicely, and appears to be a solid threat offensively and on the PP.

We need a split tonight...
                  I hope I am wrong about Forbert but he never seemed to develop much last year, and so far no improvement this year.

Comment

What the $#@$# is going on with our goaltending!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

Exactly, and that was supposed to be our strong position this year...

'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

The goaltending may be a bit over rated. Neither guy is weak but neither guy is top notch.

The team is actually playing pretty well, we just lack scoring depth. All the freshmen have looked really good for freshmen, so that is promising. It is going to be tough to win consistently with only 1 line that can score. If they can be .500 by christmas that will set them up for a late season charge.

Lets face it UND has had about a 10 year run where we have had a team that is capable of winning the championship. I wouldn't expect too much from this team until much later in the season. I am worried that after Goopher weekend all the fire Hak threads will be going in full force.

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
                          The goaltending may be a bit over rated. Neither guy is weak but neither guy is top notch.

The team is actually playing pretty well, we just lack scoring depth. All the freshmen have looked really good for freshmen, so that is promising. It is going to be tough to win consistently with only 1 line that can score. If they can be .500 by christmas that will set them up for a late season charge.

Lets face it UND has had about a 10 year run where we have had a team that is capable of winning the championship. I wouldn't expect too much from this team until much later in the season. I am worried that after Goopher weekend all the fire Hak threads will be going in full force.
                          I don't disagree that the team is young and growing pains are to be expected. I understand fully well that scoring was expected to be an issue especially early in the season, and no reasonable fan expected this team to contend for the WCHA title. But scoring wasn't an issue last weekend, the guys scored enough goals. Five goals on 15 shots on Saturday!!???!?!?!?!? Forget not being top notch, that isn't even close to adequate!

I understand your concern about the "Fire Hak" threads. You won't see me calling for his head this season. But I'd be questioning 5 goals on 15 shots even if we'd won. That's a 66.7 save %!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                            I don't disagree that the team is young and growing pains are to be expected. I understand fully well that scoring was expected to be an issue especially early in the season, and no reasonable fan expected this team to contend for the WCHA title. But scoring wasn't an issue last weekend, the guys scored enough goals. Five goals on 15 shots on Saturday!!???!?!?!?!? Forget not being top notch, that isn't even close to adequate!

I understand your concern about the "Fire Hak" threads. You won't see me calling for his head this season. But I'd be questioning 5 goals on 15 shots even if we'd won. That's a 66.7 save %!!!!
                            You have to consider though where those goals were scored, the bulk of them were located in the prime real estate area(the slot) where the goalie had very little chance of saving because a Sioux forward or defenseman wasn't covering a Badger player who was trailing behind. While our defense has been pretty suspect you've gotta look at the other players as well. Dell did keep us in the game on Saturday and he made a couple of great saves for instance he stopped UW's LaBate's penalty shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                              and no reasonable fan expected this team to contend for the WCHA title.
                              So, aren't we talking about UND fans? Then did they all expect the team to contend for the WCHA title?

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                                You have to consider though where those goals were scored, the bulk of them were located in the prime real estate area(the slot) where the goalie had very little chance of saving because a Sioux forward or defenseman wasn't covering a Badger player who was trailing behind. While our defense has been pretty suspect you've gotta look at the other players as well. Dell did keep us in the game on Saturday and he made a couple of great saves for instance he stopped UW's LaBate's penalty shot.
                                It's a team game, to be sure. My biggest frustrations are that defense and goal were supposed to be our strong points, and they were supposed to keep a sputtering offense in the game this season. It's been the exact opposite. The offense has scored adequate goals most nights, our biggest problem has been keeping the puck out of the net.
                                Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                So, aren't we talking about UND fans? Then did they all expect the team to contend for the WCHA title?

Comment

Working...
                                X